All Things TEA TIME

Almost Packed

I go to tea time every cruise with my little boy (first time he was 7 mos, this time he is 4, and 4 cruises in between :D) He loves it ... it is a good chance to get personal service and a relaxation break ... also a good way to meet fellow passengers, since many people attend alone or with only part of the group they are sailing with - great chance for interesting conversation and learning inside tips about the next port from the crew as well!

I don't really have anything new to add other than DH and I love tea time too! We attended both sea days on the Fantasy last October and are looking forward to attending on the Paradise in May!

I wore my swim suite with a cover up and flip flops. Pretty much everyone else was dressed the same. Not formal at all.

Thank You Almost Packed for starting a Tea Time thread!!!!!;)

It was has been most informative and I feel I can breeze in more informed, less anxiety on protocol and just savor the time:) I can't wait, will try the first one in 20 days short trip Western to sneak away before Spring Break and school release;) My DD and DGS and I cruise together a lot, but DH gets to come in Aug. lol We're bad! :D (Really he has trouble getting away).

Well off to the jacuzzi, (I float on the warm water, on a chaise chair and sun bathe(pale even for Fl. lol) listen on my lap top and then bak in and hit that bicycle and weights to get that Holidays bulge off maybe by sailing time! lol:D (while I'm reading about finger food and desserts :D)

You are welcome. I too am enjoying this thread and I cannot wait until my first tea time.

I'm Canadian and they're Southern Americans so I was met with looks of shock!
I was tickled by your remark... do NOT let those southereners take any moral high ground! THEY brew their iced tea with SUGAR! Sacrilege!

What is the proper way to make your tea? Apparently removing your tea bag and placing it on the saucer is a no no.

So please, teach us how to do tea time properly. What goes good with what and how much etc. Yes, i assume the amount of honey or sugar you add would be to taste, but give us some guidelines for beginners, step by step if you could please.

Thanks everyone. This southern girl is gonna have hot tea time on her next cruise! :D

If they do it properly it will be a pot, with loose leaf tea. In that case you may ask for a pot of hot water and as it brews stronger over time you can dilute the brew in your cup to taste. This allows those who like it very strong (often the same folks who like milk in the cuppa) to have it strong while those who like it straight or just milder to have it to their taste.

You should have a small tea strainer on the table that you use over your cup when you pour, to keep the leaves out of the cup. The strainer sits in a little matching cup when not in use.

Lemon, honey and sugar as well as milk are all good additions to tea. If you are having an herbal/floral caffeine free blend then milk would usually NOT be considered for addition. The sourness of some of the ingredients in the tissanes (herbal teas) mixes poorly with the milk. Sugar or honey would be as many of the floral herbal blends are somewhat tart.

Milk, first or last, seems these days to be personal preference. I do both. A bit to start and then a bit more added after the first sip if it is needed.

If they serve the tea in bags then you must just do the best you can. If the service includes a small bowl on the table then the bag can be deposited there once the tea has brewed sufficiently. If they bring the water in a pot then you can of course put the bag in the pot and leave it there. If the tea gets too strong ask for a top off of hot water or for a second pot of water and use it to dilute to taste.

In general, as others have commented, putting it on the saucer isn't considered a very acceptable solution. But if the tea service leaves you no other options then just pull the bag onto your spoon, use the string wrapped around the spoon bowl and bag to somewhat squeeze out the liquid so when you put it on the edge of the saucer it does not make a wet mess. I sometimes just use an extra, larger, spoon to hold a bag, squeezing it with the string and then setting the bowl of the spoon on the table, or the edge of a plate.

Most important is to relax, and enjoy. Tea time is one of my favorite times of the day, with or with out the fancy trimmings ; -)

(_)D

Edited by sarafinadh

I am one of those Southern Americans. I like all kinds of tea at all kinds of temperatures. The English style of tea drinking used to be a big thing in the South. I had a grandmother who did an afternoon tea-time whenever I visited.

We never miss a Cruise tea-time. Love the pastries and little sandwiches, the music, and the folks who are drawn to this sort of thing.

I especially think that younger kids (3-6) would get into this as an activity with their parents and grandparents.

You really can't drink hot tea very fast - so you are forced to enjoy some contemplative moments.

The dress is casual - it is a cruise ship. In our case, a Carnival Cruise Ship.

I was tickled by your remark... do NOT let those southereners take any moral high ground! THEY brew their iced tea with SUGAR! Sacrilege!

If they do it properly it will be a pot, with loose leaf tea. In that case you may ask for a pot of hot water and as it brews stronger over time you can dilute the brew in your cup to taste. This allows those who like it very strong (often the same folks who like milk in the cuppa) to have it strong while those who like it straight or just milder to have it to their taste.

You should have a small tea strainer on the table that you use over your cup when you pour, to keep the leaves out of the cup. The strainer sits in a little matching cup when not in use.

Lemon, honey and sugar as well as milk are all good additions to tea. If you are having an herbal/floral caffeine free blend then milk would usually NOT be considered for addition. The sourness of some of the ingredients in the tissanes (herbal teas) mixes poorly with the milk. Sugar or honey would be as many of the floral herbal blends are somewhat tart.

Milk, first or last, seems these days to be personal preference. I do both. A bit to start and then a bit more added after the first sip if it is needed.

If they serve the tea in bags then you must just do the best you can. If the service includes a small bowl on the table then the bag can be deposited there once the tea has brewed sufficiently. If they bring the water in a pot then you can of course put the bag in the pot and leave it there. If the tea gets too strong ask for a top off of hot water or for a second pot of water and use it to dilute to taste.

In general, as others have commented, putting it on the saucer isn't considered a very acceptable solution. But if the tea service leaves you no other options then just pull the bag onto your spoon, use the string wrapped around the spoon bowl and bag to somewhat squeeze out the liquid so when you put it on the edge of the saucer it does not make a wet mess. I sometimes just use an extra, larger, spoon to hold a bag, squeezing it with the string and then setting the bowl of the spoon on the table, or the edge of a plate.

Most important is to relax, and enjoy. Tea time is one of my favorite times of the day, with or with out the fancy trimmings ; -)

(_)D

GREAT INFO!!! Thanks for sharing. So am I to assume, once you choose one type of tea you have that the entire time? Can you not sample fruity blends vs. non fruity taste.

GREAT INFO!!! Thanks for sharing. So am I to assume, once you choose one type of tea you have that the entire time? Can you not sample fruity blends vs. non fruity taste.
Oh, I would think that you could change flavours. Drink one brew for a while and then request a different kind, or if more than one of you are at the table it would be very normal for each of you to order different teas. If you then shared teas and poured from each others pots no one would think anything of it.

If I wanted to take ds-7, what would be a great tea for him to try? How should I fix it. okay...prepare it. I'm in the south, we fix things...everything lol.

My daughter loves the fruit based blends and has since she was a small girl. They often have orange, berry, cranberry, rose hip, apple, or hibiscus in them. With the addition of a bit of sugar to sweeten then they are very easy on the palate. Also caffeine free, a good thing for children.

Sometimes tea service for children will have a special mild fruit tissane along with things like pb&j finger sandwiches for the kids.

I do not know if this will be the case on board, but would guess if you requested something they could come up with it.

Ahhhh, the Carnival Tea Time...........................

I personally do not like tea, when we were on the Pride my wife wanted to go and we LOVED it, I did not drink the tea, as I brought my own drink, the finger sandwiches were the bomb! They served a chicken salad and it was VERY good and the little finger deserts..........................:D

This past summer we were on the Allure of the Seas and RCCL do not have tea time, we missed that part of the day and am glad we are on the Freedom this year and look forward to Tea time!`

I am a "Southern American" who drinks unsweet iced tea! I have completely gone against my heritage and get nasty looks every time I order it!:p

I am a "Southern American" who drinks unsweet iced tea! I have completely gone against my heritage and get nasty looks every time I order it!:p

MIL is from Mississippi and was raised on unsweetened iced tea. LOL. She gets strange looks here in Charlotte when she orders it. But I'm from the Midwest so I drink it unsweetened, too.

The "Sweet Tea' thing is a pretty funny quirk. The first time I ordered iced tea in the south I actually sputterd it a bit because when I took that first big thirst quenching gulp and got a mouth FULL of sweet I was so surprised!

And I course when I asked for "Regular" Iced Tea they looked at me as if I were crazy person.

Now I know to order it unsweetened. And if the don't have that I order hot tea. And a BIG glass of ice!

If I wanted to take ds-7, what would be a great tea for him to try? How should I fix it. okay...prepare it. I'm in the south, we fix things...everything lol.

Maybe an herbal tea to avoid too much bitter and caffeine ... but if he likes sweet tea, just pick an orange pekoe and sweeten it - good hot as it is cold (not my opinion, as I gag on sweet tea, but people who like it like it warm as well from my experience :P) . I personally have luck with my 4 year old drinking mint teas - but he loves mint - we have to beg him not to swallow his toothpaste! LOL

I would stay away from Earl Gray, it has a heavy bergamot flavor (especially the brand they serve on Carnival - Bigelow), so he probably will see it as tasting perfumey. You can take him up to the Lido deck and have a tea tasting on the first night of the cruise ... then he will know what to select! Same teas in the caddies on the Lido as what they typically have at teatime.

Chicken salad on baguette is my favorite little snack. My son loves the cucumber sandwiches, which is amazing since the rest of the cruise he eats hot dogs and chicken tenders :P

Edited by Lisl123

• 3 weeks later...

Almost Packed, I'm so glad you started this thread. I'm bringing Mom on the Inspiration in Dec. to celebrate her 80th B-day. When she came to visit me in Chicago last Sept., I took her to the Palmer House for high tea (thanks to a great Groupon half-off deal). She absolutely LOVED it. I found out about tea time on sea days through CC and passed the info on to Mom. She hasn't cruised since the 90's and, she's really looking forward to tea time. Just to sit back, relax, chit-chat and enjoy a quieter moment is so wonderful in today's hustle-bustle world. I particularly like the fact that it's really casual. Perhaps a good nap afterwards........;)

Hi Just back from the Paradise ship and tried Tea Time for the first time!

It was very nice held in the Elation Dining Room, but we didn't get to it until last day(ony a 4nt. cruise.) It did seem a little hurried, didn't roll the cart to our side (window seat w/ table adjacent)so we asked for one of each ;) We asked when it came back for a cucumber & smoked salmon sandwich. They never came back for more water so tea was luke warm.

Not saying bad it was just this ship, smaller and the staff/set up I guess.

I would def go to any others! The desserts were wonderful we tasted everything. There was a nice gentleman playing piano to make a lovley atmosphere. Def. trying it on the Valor next month!!:)

I'm originally from Philadelphia. When I moved to Savannah, GA we went out to dinner with a few of my relatives from Savannah and I ordered iced tea. When it came, I proceeded to put several packs of sugar in my tea. My cousins were snickering but I thought there may have been an inside joke that I missed. No need to tell you that I was the inside joke as soon as I took a sip of my very very very sweet glass of iced tea. LOL!

I had never heard of sweet tea before moving to Savannah! This was also the first I had heard of free refills! LOL

Edited by Anjanu

• 4 months later...

I like the tea time on ships I've been on. Partly since I would avoid afternoon sun.

Several post above address milk before or after etc. I haven't read them all. My daughter I just noticed has 4 different loose teas on the go at present. Never bags. She has a strainer, and has sometimes used those silver ball things. So with her knowlege I thought I'd pick her brain a bit. She says in England it's partly a class thing: upper puts milk in last, tends not to use sugar. Lower puts it in first and uses sugar. Milk, never cream.

Edited by Ryancoke