Norwegian Sun in Stockholm

At last there is great news for all passengers on Norwegian Sun this summer.

Last year Norwegian Sun docked in Nynäshamn, a small city south of Stockholm. In my mind a clear disadvantage compared to docking in Stockholm. This year there has been news about docking in Stockholm instead of Nynäshamn, so much better. But I have been concerned that there was not a single date booked in Stockholm, and that Frihamnen port. where Norwegian Sun was said to dock, was booked by other ships on some of the dates the Sun would be here.

But now they are booked! And it is in Stockholm!

Here are the facts: On May 11, 20 and 29, on June 25, on July 13 and 22, and on August 18 and 27 the Sun is booked to dock at Stadsgården Port.

On June 16, July 4, on August 9 and on September 5 the Sun is booked at Frihamnen Port. And on July 31 the Sun will be at anchor in Stockhom.

The actual ports could change, but the only thing that could make a change to Nynäshamn again this summer would be weather conditions. And as we know that can always happen to any cruise line

Last year Norwegian Sun docked in Nynäshamn, a small city south of Stockholm. In my mind a clear disadvantage compared to docking in Stockholm. This year there has been news about docking in Stockholm instead of Nynäshamn, so much better. But I have been concerned that there was not a single date booked in Stockholm, and that Frihamnen port. where Norwegian Sun was said to dock, was booked by other ships on some of the dates the Sun would be here.

Here are the facts: On May 11, 20 and 29, on June 25, on July 13 and 22, and on August 18 and 27 the Sun is booked to dock at Stadsgården Port.

On June 16, July 4, on August 9 and on September 5 the Sun is booked at

Frihamnen Port. And on July 31 the Sun will be at anchor in Stockhom.

The actual ports could change, but the only thing that could make a change to Nynäshamn again this summer would be weather conditions. And as we know that can always happen to any cruise line

This for the info. Although we had been told this verbally, it is nice to know it is in print somewhere (?website) other than cruisett.

NCL never replied to my e-mail inquiring about this.

On June 16, July 4, on August 9 and on September 5 the Sun is booked at Frihamnen Port. And on July 31 the Sun will be at anchor in Stockhom.

Great info NorthBound. So, who is still using Nynäshamn this season? Do you know?

Hope you enjoying our mild winter :)

Al

Great info NorthBound. So, who is still using Nynäshamn this season? Do you know?

Hope you enjoying our mild winter :)

Al

So far only Eurodam. They will dock there on May 30 and on August 26. all other Eurodam cruises this summer will dock in Stockholm.

As for the mild winter, in my mind it could well be even milder :rolleyes:. But at least I am looking forward to a cruise in March wich will make the winter shorter :). How do you feel about our winters?

This for the info. Although we had been told this verbally, it is nice to know it is in print somewhere (?website) other than cruisett.

NCL never replied to my e-mail inquiring about this.

I got an email from them before Christmas with the changed itinerary. Maybe they alert people as arrangements are finalized. My ship is there at the end of May.

That is really great news. We sailed the NCL Jewel when we visited and we docked at Frihamnen. It gives you those extra couple of hours to really enjoy this wonderful city. For us, this was our favorite stop on the Baltic Cruise. there was just something we fell in love with here. From the Vasa Museum, to Gamla Stan, all the friendly people,the wonderful shops, and those great pastries.

For those that haven't been yet, here are a few of my pixs of this glorious city

Visiting the Vasa Museum was a complete and unexpected joy. We planned a 1/2 visit and spent 2 wonderful hours here. Do NOT miss it

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1197.jpg

We didn't tour the Royal Palace, but we did watch most of the Changing of the Guard ceremony. Catch it if you can

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

A shot of one of the palace guards, who wear these shiny helmets. A guard looking out over the city,

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1255.jpg

And then enter the real heart of Gamla Stan. Just a wonderful area to explore. get off the main street and you will find many narrow cobblestone streets, basically deserted,just waiting for you to wander around finding hidden treasures

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1270.jpg

In the heart of Gamla Stan there are several squares to sit and enjoy some lunch, a brew,or jsut to relax and watch the people walking by

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

And since you are docking in Stockholm, you will get to view the Archipielago, as you sail away from Stockholm

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1344.jpg

Guaranteed, you will love Stockholm

Cheers

Len

I have located Stadsgarden on a map, but am not really sure how near, or far, we will be from sights we may want to visit - Vasa, Gamla Stan. What are our transportation options from this location?

Advice appreciated.

Here is the link to a map that may be helpful: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0&ll=59.323907,18.085728&spn=0.028638,0.059309

From Stadsgården port there is a 20-30 minutes walk to Slussen, at the south end of Gamla Stan. From Slussen it is possible to either take the ferry to get to Djurgården where The Vasa and Skansen museums are located. Or you can take bus number 76 to Djurgårdsbron.

There is a bus stop close to the port where several buses could take you to Slussen, just ask the driver. If you decide to take a bus you need a ticket before you can board. Tickets can be bought at the info kiosk on the pier near the ship.

There is also the HO/HO boat that stops near your ship and that can take you around to the main sights.

Here is the link to a map that may be helpful: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0&ll=59.323907,18.085728&spn=0.028638,0.059309

From Stadsgården port there is a 20-30 minutes walk to Slussen, at the south end of Gamla Stan. From Slussen it is possible to either take the ferry to get to Djurgården where The Vasa and Skansen museums are located. Or you can take bus number 76 to Djurgårdsbron.

There is a bus stop close to the port where several buses could take you to Slussen, just ask the driver. If you decide to take a bus you need a ticket before you can board. Tickets can be bought at the info kiosk on the pier near the ship.

There is also the HO/HO boat that stops near your ship and that can take you around to the main sights.

Would it make sense to purchase the Stockholm Card? I believe it covers the ferry and buses as well as entrance to the Vasa and other museums.

From Stadsgården port there is a 20-30 minutes walk to Slussen, at the south end of Gamla Stan.

As always, great info North-Bound.

There has often been discussion about the walk from S167 to the ferry. I would just like to stress that it is a very nice walk, flat terrain and along the water all the way. An added benefit is you can see your destination (Gamla Stan/Ferry) as you enjoy the scenery. For the more adventurous, about halfway to town if you look to the left you will see some stairs leading up to a road high above. If you take those stairs the views are great as you walk the rest of the way down to Slussen.

Enjoy,

Al

• 2 months later...

We'll visit Stockholm via Norwegian Sun on May 11th. I'd like to get more detailed info about this HO/HO boat tour. Can we stop at Vasa Mesuem, Kungliga Slottet - Royal Palace via this boat tour? How often this boat tour running? I saw there are at least two boat tours - Royal Canal Tour, Historic Canal Tour on the website of Stromma. Is anyone the HO/HO boat tour you indicated nearby Stadsgarden Port?

Hi all - I am completely new to cruising, and amazed (and perplexed) at the information available regarding shore excursions. My husband and I are Californians, love to travel and enjoy the bonus of sharing experiences with others. Anybody interested in creating a small (4-6 couples) private tour of St. Petersburg? We're adventurous, and love exploring, whether on our own or with a few others. Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks!

Hi all - I am completely new to cruising, and amazed (and perplexed) at the information available regarding shore excursions. My husband and I are Californians, love to travel and enjoy the bonus of sharing experiences with others. Anybody interested in creating a small (4-6 couples) private tour of St. Petersburg? We're adventurous, and love exploring, whether on our own or with a few others. Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks!

Since you are new to cruising and new to this site, this really isn't the place to try and hook up with others to try and arrange tours. You would be better off going to the ROLL CALL section of this site, look up your cruise line, your ship and the dates of your cruise. From there you will see many of your shipmates introducing themselves and also looking to hook up for tours.

If you have any questions about the Baltics, and their ports, feel free to just ask away. If you are adventurous enough, most of the ports on this cruise are very easy to do on your own,except, of course, St Petersburg.

Cheers

Len

Archived