FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT (FCC) and PURCHASING INSURANCE

PreciousCruiser

Tried to find some info. regarding my question, but there a sooo many posts. Did a search, maybe I missed it! Soooo...

My question is: I'm real interested in purchasing a FCC (Future Cruise Credit) on my NCL cruise. If I do so, how does this affect purchasing travel insurance for that future cruise? If purchasing a FCC is considered a DEPOSIT, does this affect getting travel insurance within the 14 days of deposit (or however many it is), to cover any pre-exitising conditions? Or is this handled different than a regular deposit. Next time I cruise, I want to make sure I purchase the ins. within that time frame. I had an issue with that on the cruise I'm taking in March. Trying to cover all basis in advance next time... Thanks for any input. I posted this on the NCL board as well.

Don't know if you're planning of cruiseline or third-party insurance.

We generally buy Travel Guard ... and, when I phoned them a couple of years ago with the same type of question, I was told that they consider the Future Cruise Deposit for an as-yet-undetermined sailing to be a cruise option ... and the 14-day clock for pre-existing and enhanced coverages starts when that deposit is applied to a specific sailing. If, however, you deposit and book a specific cruise while onboard, rather than simply buying a deposit, the 14-day clock starts at that point.

Other insurers may handle it differently, so you may want to check directly with the insurance company you plan to use.

I've spoken to 5 or 6 of the larger insurers and all of them say that he clock doesn't start running on the time frame to be eligible for pre-existing medical condition coverage or their Cancel For Any Reason coverage until the deposit is transferrd to a booking with a definite ship and sailing. But, things change and/or the insurer you choose may not ne one0 of the ones I spoke to so always verify this with the insurer (preferably in writing/email) before you buy.

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I probably will use Travel Guard. That's who I'm using for this cruise. Your answer makes sense and that was the same answer I got on the NCL board, however, I will call Travel Guard and confirm to make sure they haven't changed their policy. So good to know. FCC here I come... :)

• 2 months later...

For others searching for this answer, I called Travel Guard today and re-confirmed that this is still the case. In other words, the clock starts ticking for the pre-existing conditions waiver from the date a specific sailing is booked, not from the date that the future cruise certificate is purchased.

Archived