Single parent with child question

We are taking a family cruise in May and my son will be taking his daughter with him. I seem to recall a form that the other parent should have completed and signed (Noterized?) for the other parent to take a child on a trip like this.

Does anyone out there know about this and have a link to a standard form/letter or suggestions on its content?

Thanks in advance;

DCC

Yes, this is true. My sister had to do this to take her two boys on a cruise, but her ex wouldn't sign it. She, unfortunately, had to go to court to get the judge's permission to do this, needless to say, the judge wasn't happy with her ex, taking up precious court time for what he said, was pure nonsense on his part.

We did up our own form with the dates of sailing, ship they were sailing and simply saying that permission was granted from _______(child's mom's name here) for him to take ______(daughter's name here) on a cruise onboard ______(ships name here) and then put the dates of sailing. Its really nothing more than that, and get it notarized.

I know alot of people here have said they were never asked for such a letter, but my sister was, so better to be safe than sorry.

Perhaps someone else here can provide the web site if you would prefer to do it that way, other than that, a simple letter with the dates and have her sign it and notarize it and your set to go.

Have a wonderful cruise.

• 4 months later...

My mother, DD and a friend of hers all sailed in June. I did have one of those forms for my DD's friend (more for medical purposes than anything) but . . . I was never asked for these and I sure didn't have any problems taking my DD without DH!!!!! :rolleyes:

I just heard out about this while booking my 1st cruise. I am worried as we have not even heard from my son's father in almost 2 yrs. even though he lives 10 mins away from us.

I do have papers stating I have Primary custody and he just gets visitation- would this work or would I have to track him down and get this form signed and notarized?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Carly

It might depend on the cruise line you're going on. I booked a Mom and two kids on a Carnival cruise for this October, and the father of one of these children is deceased. Carnival told me that all they needed was proper Proof of Citizenship. BTW - they all have valid Passports. It would be a good idea to bring along the legal papers stating that you are the Primary Custodian just in case, though.

I am a lawyer and so is my ex husband. I work in family law so I was extra paranoid about this (we also live on the Canadian border, so I see things go wrong all the time). If they ask, it will not matter whether you have sole custody- you can still be kidnapping your child. But if Dad won't sign, and all you have this the order of custody, well, what more can you do? Better than nothing.

My ex husband wrote a letter stating that I, or my Mother, or my Aunt (they were traveling with us), could take the children (by name, with birthdates), on a cruise in August (no exact dates in case of a hurricane or something), and on shore excusrsions connected therewith (no exact countries in case of itinerary change). He also put the flights from Buffalo to Galveston as well. Notarized is always a good thing to have.

My ex is an attorney. He wrote up a document that states I have his permission to travel with our son anywhere, in or out of the United States, at any time, and had it notarized. I've never been asked for it, but feel better having it "just in case..."

Archived