Does Volterra or S. Gimingnano have a tower to climb?

World Gallery

We were wanting to combine Pisa with Volterra/San Gimimgnano but we realize that in order to do this, we will have to spend a lot of time driving, since Pisa is in the opposite direction. We have kids ages 11-18. I know that there are towers in both Volterra and San Gimimgnano (watched the Rick Steves episodes on these places) but can you climb them? I was thinking this may be a good way to climb a tower for a great view without going to Pisa. My husband gets to see the Tuscan countryside, my kids get to climb "a tower", and we cut the driving time down.

Also, if we were just to do either Volterra or San Gim., which one is best? Rick Steves says that Volterra is his favorite because it is less touristy and that San Gim. can get very crowded with tourists but it looks like a great little town.

We were wanting to combine Pisa with Volterra/San Gimimgnano but we realize that in order to do this, we will have to spend a lot of time driving, since Pisa is in the opposite direction. We have kids ages 11-18. I know that there are towers in both Volterra and San Gimimgnano (watched the Rick Steves episodes on these places) but can you climb them? I was thinking this may be a good way to climb a tower for a great view without going to Pisa. My husband gets to see the Tuscan countryside, my kids get to climb "a tower", and we cut the driving time down.

Also, if we were just to do either Volterra or San Gim., which one is best? Rick Steves says that Volterra is his favorite because it is less touristy and that San Gim. can get very crowded with tourists but it looks like a great little town.

We visited San Gimimgnano over twenty years ago when we lived in Germany. We were able to go up in a tower. There is a nice museum there as well. It is worth a stop.

We stayed in San Gimignano for a month in 2010 and you can definitely climb the tower. It's a beautiful place and well worth the visit. The countryside is spectacular. If you go and stop for lunch, be sure to try the local white wine, Vernaccia. It is just delicious and very inexpensive. They have been making it there since the 1600's.

Archived