Is NCL Giving up on Port Canaveral??

mrtractor

I don't see any cruises on NCL going out of Port Canveral. We loved having an NCL ship (the Sun) so close by. Is NCL abandoning PC in favor of New York, Tampa and Miami????

Wow, nothing showing after the Sun departs to Europe on 4/21.

Slowly but surely we're losing East Coast ports. First Philadelphia, then Charleston, and now Port Canaveral. :(

And by the way... nice to see you on here again! ;)

I wonder if NCL is having a hard time attracting passengers out of Port Canaveral with the Sun. Maybe if they brought a ship that could compete more head on with the other ships doing 7 night itineraries from there? Not that the Sun is a bad ship, but when you have RCI with a Freedom class ship, Carnival with a Dream class ship, and Disney with 2 brand new ships straight out of the shipyard, the Sun may not be as attractive.

BTW, I love Port Canaveral. It's an easy drive for us in Georgia...:)

I wonder if NCL is having a hard time attracting passengers out of Port Canaveral with the Sun. Maybe if they brought a ship that could compete more head on with the other ships doing 7 night itineraries from there? Not that the Sun is a bad ship, but when you have RCI with a Freedom class ship, Carnival with a Dream class ship, and Disney with 2 brand new ships straight out of the shipyard, the Sun may not be as attractive.

BTW, I love Port Canaveral. It's an easy drive for us in Georgia...:)

That certainly may be part of NCL's thinking. However, the other larger ships at Port Canaveral may be having a different effect - they create a heavier load on the port's facilities, and may have caused the port to raise the per-passenger fees they charge the cruise lines. This could have the effect of chasing out the smaller ships, like NCL's.

Another possibility is that PC is farther from the Caribbean, and thus the fuel costs to ships cruising to the Caribbean from there are greater.

Obviously, it all comes down to the bottom line for any cruise company, and they will move their ships to whatever ports seem to promise the best financial results for that ship. Witness the great migration of cruise ships out of the Caribbean market this summer, leaving only Carnival (who have the advantage of a huge fleet), doing hurricane season trips through the Caribbean.

I guess they do it for the money. It's just a shame that NCL can't keep something in PC. Really convenient for us. I think the point about the competition having so much more modern ships is a good one. Tough to compete for that Mouseland business with an older, smaller ship.

But I see they are staying in Tampa for a while. And that's a lot further from the Caribbean than PC, isn't it?

Hi, Mary and Waldo! Yeah, I've been a no show for a while. Haven't really been cruising that much in the last couple years. Only one a year, HA! We did manage to squeeze in a last minute on the Sun in October, but only had time to make a single post. We were actually on the way to our house in Florida for a week when we found out the weather was going to be miserable pretty much the whole week. I called our travel agent at 3 pm on Friday to see if we could get on a ship. We drove to PC the next morning and were standing on the deck of the Sun by 11:30am! I didn't even know you could do that in aftermath of 9-11! I guess since they know that we have visited you in the Garden Villa that we must be OK. AHEHEHEeieee....

We're thinking our next cruise probably won't be until next January or so. So don't feel bad if you don't see much of us on CC until we get closer tot that time!

I just was hoping we could do it out of PC!!!

MrT and BG

Barbara <------- is thinking you need to cruise much sooner than that, and strongly recommends booking the Star out of NYC on 10/14... :D

----------> or book the wild and crazy Big Apple to Big Easy leaving NYC 10/21 and arriving in NOLA on 11/5. You'd fit right in! <-----------

HAL used to leave from Canaveral and they haven't done that in several years. :( We also took a Radisson from there -- not a regular berth but they did leave a couple of times. I heard (and I don't know how true) that the Mouse is putting another ship in so they had to make room.

I might be the minority here but Port Canaveral is a pain for those of us having to fly. Arranging transportation to and from Orlando is just another thing to go wrong on embarkation and disembarkation day. I can see where those who can drive to port would find it convenient, but after cruising out of there once, I look for ports much closer to an international airport.

I might be the minority here but Port Canaveral is a pain for those of us having to fly. Arranging transportation to and from Orlando is just another thing to go wrong on embarkation and disembarkation day. I can see where those who can drive to port would find it convenient' date=' but after cruising out of there once, I look for ports much closer to an international airport.[/quote']

We found using the shuttle from the port to the Orlando airport was easy and inexpensive.

Oh, what a convenience it would be to just drive a short way to the port! West coast itineraries are so limited. And now a lot of them embark from one port and disembark in another port, like Seattle and Vancouver or Vancouver and California. Getting home just adds to the cost of the cruise. Might as well fly to New York or Miami and be done with it! Sign me cranky in Seattle. :rolleyes:

HAL used to leave from Canaveral and they haven't done that in several years. :( We also took a Radisson from there -- not a regular berth but they did leave a couple of times. I heard (and I don't know how true) that the Mouse is putting another ship in so they had to make room.

CCL is building or The port is building them a new Spot.. Right now theres 2 ccl ship and one stops a little ways away from where the others park...

DCL is sending the Fantasy there to start service in March but they are also pulling one of the older ships (not sure when) and will start doing a route out of Miami. This was announced Tuesday (with bookings available yesterday) so I don't have a lot of info on what the long term routes will be.

Im hoping once the Getaway is built it or another ship will go back to port canveral

Its the easiest port to get to for me without flying

But if they dont we will prolly try carnival if the price is right

Hi vols_159.

Are you still planning to be on the Sun for the March 17 sailing?

We'd love to see you back on the thread, especially since you're such a veteran of the Sun! :)

Can we count you in for the M & G?

Happy sailing!

Just back from Sun -- Port Canaveral disembarkation was a nightmare! Not the fault of NCL but the ship was not cleared until 9:30. Then had to fight the crowds at the airport!

Thanks for the warning - I guess we'll plan to chill on the ship for a while and take our time since we're not flying out until the next day!

Hi vols_159.

Are you still planning to be on the Sun for the March 17 sailing?

We'd love to see you back on the thread, especially since you're such a veteran of the Sun! :)

Can we count you in for the M & G?

Happy sailing!

No we wont be.. With work complactions we had to move the cruise up to Last November I hope you enjoy the SUN!

Archived