I am SO confused

Disneycruiser#1

First time to St. Thomas and we are taking our soon to be 4 and 7 year old sons with us on the CCL Glory. We have narrowed it down to the following. Any input would be great. We are looking for a nice beach day, at least 2 beach chairs, bathrooms, snack or lunch and cold drinks:

1. Excursion thru Carnival Magens Bay and Sky Ride

2. On our own via taxi to Magen's Bay

3. On our own via taxi to Sapphire Beach

4. Time to do either Magen's Bay OR Sapphire Beach on our own and go to Sky ride?

Thanks

DC

I went on the Glory on 3/19 and had a 12 year old, 11 year old and 8 year old. We did the Godfrey tour (scenery beautiful but probably not interesting to smaller children) and we went to Saphire Beach. We got beach chairs and the kids played in the crystal clear water. Not much wave action. Snorkeling right off the beach ($5.00 per hour) There was a bar right there, bathrooms, and a convenience store to purchase chips and pop. The food area looked to be at the end of the beach. It was a nice area - clean. There seemed to be a lot of broken coral around so make sure the kids are wearing sand shoes. You will like St. Thomas.

Hello,

Go to Magens or Sapphire on your own. Its easy to do. I doubt a 4 year old would enjoy an island tour... you will see a little of the island while driving to the beach. And yes you can stay at the beach for a couple hours, have lunch and then head back to Havensight to do the Paradise Point Skyride. If you think your kids would enjoy the bird show at Paradise Point be sure to check the schedule - its only done I believe twice a day. I would think a 4 and 7 year old would likely enjoy Coral World better. So perhaps do Coral World in the am and take a taxi from there to Sapphire Beach.

--Islander

we've been to Megan's Bay twice with our girls (1st time they were 4 and 7...2nd time, 6 and 9 - last week!).

this was the perfect beach day for them....and for us! they played in the sand/water the entire time.........we lounged in the chairs ($7 to rent) watching them. since the water is calm, we didn't worry about not having them at arms length away!

there are washrooms and showers, a bar/restaurant (the first time we went, we packed PB&J - courtesy of Disney Magic room service, not knowing what to expect in terms of food) but we ended up buying pizza, bbq chicken and fries.....with beverages.

negotiated cab fair from port at $5pp one way. we chose an open-air cab (driver was 'vince' with a peach-coloured, chrome-rimmed beast! - very cool!!!) He picked us up at our specified time as well.

this is my idea of a day in paradise!

Thanks everyone, One vote for Magen's Bay and one for Sapphire (lol)......do we get a tie breaker please :)

Is Magen's Bay like Castaway Cay? We have been on the Magic 2 times and Wonder once and that is a perfect beach day for us!

Would a just turned 4 year old get scared of the Skyride? I know at WDW last month some things "bothered" him to say the least?

Would do both (beach and Skyride) or only one?

It sounds as if you can see the island from the ride to either beach or not???

We were suppose to go to St. Thomas and St. Martin on the Princess CP last September but due to the hurricane had they changed to the western route the day we left..........then the hurricane jumped around and we were cruising at sea for 3 extra days until they opened up Port Everglades. I had researched the eastern islands but since our boys were staying home had more choices and excursions planned (St. Johns/Oriental Beach).

We wanted to cruise the DCL Magic (eastern) this summer but since it is sailing out of CA and we recently moved from there decided on the CCL Glory. We will be back on the Magic next summer ;)

Thanks for your help and any more info would be great!

DC

I haven't been to Castaway Cay but just pulled it up on the internet and from what I see/read I would say no Magens Bay isn't like that... neither is Sapphire or any other beach in the VI. Castaway Cay looks quite unique particular since its all customized by Disney.

I don't see why your 4 year old would be scared of the skyride. Its not a very long ride. Unless there is a fear of heights??

You have time to do both beach and skyride.

Yes you see a little bit of the island along the taxi ride to the beach, not much but some.

--Islander

http://www.*****

We were at Sapphire Beach last week and it was beautiful! The water was very calm and there were lots of small children playing in the water. As others have said, you can rent chairs and snorkle equipment. There is a bar, convenience store, food, bathrooms, sun, shade, and anything else you might want. We shared a cab back to the ship with another family and they said they went to Maegan's and were very disappointed and left after a few minutes to go to Sapphire Beach (which they loved).

Whatever you decide to do, have fun!! I wish I was still there!

as one who's afraid of heights, I wanted to throw my $0.02 in about the Sky Ride. If I were you, I'd skip it. Also as a parent of 2, I can't imagine much worse then attempting the tram, only to find out in 3 minutes he was terrified and not only would he have to deal with it the rest of the ride UP, but the entire ride down as well. could be one of those things that might ruin the day for everyone. not a fun, family vacation-type memory, LOL.:)

we're going to St. Thomas in a few weeks (OK, 5 weeks, but "a few" makes it sound like it's coming quicker, doesn't it? LOL) and we're thinking either Sapphire or Secret Harbour for the beach.

Thank you everyone. We will be having a beach day for sure and decide on the skyride later. My husband can always take our oldest son and I can head back or wait with our little one. I know last month at WDW for spring break he at that age of "everything is real"......now I know a skyride is real but still it is the age. I was surprised bc every since he was born early and he and I very, very sick he has been a force. So it is sounds as if a beach day is going to happen just which one.

Thank you everyone!

DC

Hello Dismom3,

Both are pretty beaches. Sapphire will be busier/more people. Sapphire has more watersports like kayaks, jet skis, windsurfing - if you were interested in that. No snorkeling at Emerald. Both have bars, restaurants. Emerald allows pool usage if you are buying drinks etc. If you have small children there is a kids playground at the far end of the Emerald.

--Islander

http://www.*****

We were just there on FRI. and I speak for the 6 of us who went , this was truly our FAVORITE beach on the whole trip. I even talked to a couple staying there and they had traveled the island during there stay, and also agreed it was the prettiest! Beautiful sand, water, facilities, trees to sit under, snorkeling, etc available. We all agreed this would be a great spot to come back and visit for a week! We just got a taxi and went on our own...Beautiful, it was not crowded at all. Our taxi driver even suggested over the other beaches mentioned.:D

I have to agree that Castaway Cay is beautiful and in a league of its own. I really loved Castaway Cay. Having been both places don't expect Saphire to be the same. However I really loved Saphire - the snorkeling was better and the good news is that there are not as many souvineer (sic) shops. I know traveling with kids can be expensive but Saphire was a good choice.

Kathleen

Archived