Norwegian Air Shuttle airline?

I am realizing that I may be able to get some feedback about Norwegian Air Shuttle on this board. We are a family of 7 in need of flights from Barcelona to Copenhagen in June, one way. I see that Norewegian Air Shuttle has a non-stop at a great time for us but I have never heard of it. Any feedback?

We are not from Spain. We are doing back to back cruises, one Med. and one Baltic. We were booked on Spanair, that went bankrupt suddenly and canceled all flights, so now we are needing a new one. I prefer non-stop and that is why I am interested in Norwegian and Vueling, both non-stop. The others are not non-stop (like SAS, Iberia).

Also, I an hoping not to book on another airline that will go bankrupt!

Thanks.

If you are looking for an airline with a good safety record, you should NOT fly with Cimber Sterling. They have had 35+ emergency and security landings since 2007 with their 27 aircrafts, and under a emergency landing caused by engine fire in October last year the cabin crew was "panicking" with no information and slow evacuation although the fire in the engine.

A couple a years ago it was known as an mid/highend airline like SAS also with free luggage and light refresments on bord.

But what is the status after the ukranian guy took over the business.

Btw Vueling is adding some extra flights on most of the routes that they shared with Spanair.

I am reading that Vueling is adding flights as well as other airlines so now I am wondering if I should hold off on booking our flights to see what other airlines will offers this flight and to see if maybe the prices will drop a bit with the competition. Should I hold off?

A couple of years ago we flew from London Gatwick to Tromso in Norway direct with Norweigian and I can honestly say it was one of the best flights we have ever taken. Unfortunately they do not fly direct to Tromso now, if they did we may have visited Tromso again this winter. I hate flying because of all the stress but with Norweigian it was pain free.

Norwegian is great! :)

They may be a LCC, but the experience is on par with many of the mainstream airlines these days. Service is friendly and efficient, and they aren't nearly as pushy about upselling as a lot of LCCs.

They do charge for luggage, but it's quite reasonable, especially if you have a lot! In fact, when we flew to the UK to do our long cruise on QE2, I chose Norwegian because of their luggage policy. With five black tie formal nights along with mountain hikes and Arctic kayaking, I really needed to check a second bag, and the excess luggage fees on most airlines was shocking. Norwegian charged €8/bag, so the second bag was a bargain in comparison!

Thanks so much for this info. I was having a hard time deciding. I am going to book.

Did you bring the standard, large American suitcase sizes? Their policy states:

We accept baggage with a total circumference of 300cm where the max. dimensions are length 250cm, hiehgt 79cm, width 112cm

Do you remember if they mearsured your suitcases on Norwegian?

Did you bring the standard, large American suitcase sizes? Their policy states:

We accept baggage with a total circumference of 300cm where the max. dimensions are length 250cm, hiehgt 79cm, width 112cm

Do you remember if they mearsured your suitcases on Norwegian?

No, they didn't measure it. However, like most airlines, they do weigh it, and their weight limit is 20 kg (44 lbs), which is a bit less than most carriers. Unlike other low-cost carriers they don't really weigh or inspect cabin bags as long as they're within reason, and you're allowed to have the additional personal item (purse, laptop, etc).

I'm trying to remember which luggage I took. I'm pretty sure I was traveling with a 26" rolling upright, so a "normal" American suitcase but not one of my giant 30" bags. But even a 30" upright looks like it would be well within the size limits:

30.5" x 20" x 11" = 77.5 x 51 x 28 cm

I'm not sure what they consider the circumference, but worst case would be 77.5 + 51 + 77.5 + 51 = 257 cm -- well within the 300 cm limit.

Of course, a 30" upright would need to be practically empty to stay under the 20 kg weight limit! ;)

Thanks everyone! We just booked Norwegian Air. Glad this is done!

Good point about the suitcases starting out weighing alot before you even fill them. Most of our suitcases are the larger ones. I went ahead and paid for 7 checked bags (we are a family of 7) because I think I will need them if the bag itself has to be smaller. It was much less to buy your "checked bag" with your ticket than to wait. It was 10euros.

Archived