Leixoes - Porto

CLOU

We will be on the Sojourn in May, which docks in Leixoes for a stop in Porto. Does anyone know if Seabourn provides transportation from Leixoes into Porto itself, outside of the booked excursions?

We will be on the Sojourn in May, which docks in Leixoes for a stop in Porto. Does anyone know if Seabourn provides transportation from Leixoes into Porto itself, outside of the booked excursions?

They did last year, so almost certainly. It is as I recall a 20 minute drive into Porto. Very hilly town, but some nice things to see; the railway station has gorgeous tiles. I believe there is a Hoho bus; you might be able to find this on the Oporto website. The port lodges are on the other side of the river, and rather touristy. There is a lovely art nouveau book shop a short walk (up and down hill) from the shuttle stop.

If you have not Googled Trip advisor Porto forumn you should. We were in Porto for 5 days in Dec, beautiful city, and the info I gleaned from that forum was invaluable. For instance there could be a train, meto, the answers many are local people could set you on the right track then you would not have to find parking! have a great trip. Also a taxi from the airport into Porto cost us about €20 just gauging info.

Mr. DangerGirl loves Port and we have made a couple of trips to Porto and the Douro Valley. I was last there in 2008 but the hop-off-hop-on bus is--in my opinion--a great bargain at €10. They don't run every 10 minutes like in some major cities, so I recommend carefully planning any hop-offs so that you catch the next circuit. We rode all of the main tour and the "bridges" tour without getting off, just listening to the commentary.

The port lodges in Vila Nova da Gaia are indeed touristy but Sandeman's in particular is a very interesting tour and introduction to Port wine. They have an exhibit about the history of their advertising and brand image. I also highly recommend the Ramos Pinto tour. It is also on the Gaia waterfront, a little further along than Sandeman's. The building is the former home of the owners, and filled with antiques and very interesting. Also, they focused on the South American market (rather than British) and you can see the differences in their advertising and brand image.

If you are there for lunch, try a Franceshina. It roughly translates as "little French girl" and is a "heart-attack-on-a-plate" variant of a croque monsieur. Ham, beef, two kinds of sausage, usually three slices of bread, cheese, broiled and then doused with sauce. Every sauce is different and apparently a family secret; I have never been able to get anyone to divulge a recipe. According to DH and his Port buddies, the BEST one is at Bufete Fase, rua de Santa Catarina 1147, which is a bit out of the way towards the end of Santa Catarina. A good alternative is at the Cafe Majestic, a beautiful cafe also on rua de Santa Catarina but much closer to the train station and the main part of town.

Thanks again for the great information. I will look at the Trip Advisor Board and I really appreciate the food recommendations also. Although the port houses are touristy, we are into wine and will have to visit one or two, time permitting. However, since we only have one day, will we not make it out to try the Duoro wines. We don't leave unti mid-May, but we are starting to plan our port excursions. I always get anxious with anticipation as the cruise get closer.

We had the Franceshina in a reasonable cafe and I could not recommend it my husband thought it only okay and he will eat anything, it gave me the most awful gas attack I have ever had all night. The one we had included lots of bread a weiner, that is not my idea of sausage especially in Portugal, cheese and various other things, including covered in a red type sauce. :eek::eek: So if you have to try one, share it, then you can move on to proper lunch.

If you go to the Cliegios (sp) tower the entrance is on the side and they close for lunch. It was worth the climb 200 odd steps, even though it took us ages to get into it ie. lunch time.

Any tour on the river boat is worth it about an hour trip, just do not buy a ticket for a later time as they are going constantly and if you have a set time it can really mess up your schedule, as they do not appear to go immediatly. Not sure if making this clear.

Archived