Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

I believe this is her second interview but I can't find an English translation so if our Italian friends could help out that would be great:

Also, here is the video of her on the island:

I'll try to translate it for you:

"I reached the shore at about midnight,we looked hard for peoplearound there to keep them together,it was a chaos there,it was hard to understand who was crying for help,everybody was nervous...

it was so dark we were trying to find people in water needing help...there were chaos,scream,alarms,it was impossible to hear who was asking for help from water.When I reached the shore my colleagues were already there.every shipwreck victim had his wet clothes and lifejackets taken off .I had two thermal suites and I gave them to a couple of french people to avoid freezing.

All the crew took some courses before sailing,this is not a game.Costa is a serious company,it has a 16 cruise ships fleet,carrying 4000 people each.

Every crew member is obliged to take these courses,I took a 3 weeks course in Italy."

I hope it's quite clear...

I'll try to translate it for you:

"I reached the shore at about midnight,we looked hard for peoplearound there to keep them together,it was a chaos there,it was hard to understand who was crying for help,everybody was nervous...

it was so dark we were trying to find people in water needing help...there were chaos,scream,alarms,it was impossible to hear who was asking for help from water.When I reached the shore my colleagues were already there.every shipwreck victim had his wet clothes and lifejackets taken off .I had two thermal suites and I gave them to a couple of french people to avoid freezing.

All the crew took some courses before sailing,this is not a game.Costa is a serious company,it has a 16 cruise ships fleet,carrying 4000 people each.

Every crew member is obliged to take these courses,I took a 3 weeks course in Italy."

I hope it's quite clear...

Thanks for this translation itmom. Very helpful and much appreciated!

I have never figured out why she gets the bad press from the (bad) press and others.

IF she was/is his lover... so what.

As best we know, he ran the ship into the rock and caused the tragedy... but why pick on her.

If he was showing off to impress her.....why blame her. Blame him.

If his wife was accompanying him on the cruise and she was on the bridge when the incident occurred would we blame her?

People are usually tougher on women than men especially if there is a scandal.

As far as we know she wasn't at the wheel takin' the boat for a spin.

Don't blame her.... Blame him.

Realizing that you express one view of the Captain and Dominica duette which differs from the view held by others, including myself, I will restate our position without demeaning you or your opinion.

We believe that a young attractive female former crew member knew or should have known that use of her charms & wiles (sexualty) on a middle age Captain could sufficiently distract him to endanger the ship, crew and passengers. That makes her culpable as a secodary cause of the results . It does not relieve the Captain of primary responsibility.

Further, I think her subsequent actions demonstrate how focused she is to be the center of attention. I imagine she would be no less demanding on a lover even at times when he should been totally focused on the ship and passengers.

John

On National Geographic cable channel last night, they had a very well crafted program on this tragedy. From watching most of this program last night, I was impressed with how they "told the story" using so many different interviews with passengers and staff who had been on the ship, plus the various cell phone video segments that told the story as if you were "inside" as this was happening. Very chilling and enlightening. Sad!! I'm not sure how Costa and/or Carnival ever explain this one to future customers. It's hard to trust people who are so bad both during the incident, plus since that time.

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 64,098 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As we did our sail-away on the Solstice in Barcelona, this was the view of our next-door docking neighbor, a Costa ship with their unique yellow "C" stack. Just recently, I looked more closely at this picture to see that it is the now infamous Concordia that, sadly, will not be sailing out of Barcelona any more. As you can see, it was clearly a nice-looking ship. Such a tragedy! In the background of my picture, you can see the unique curved shaped of the fairly new W Hotel that is located overlooking the main Barcelona beach area.:

BarcelCostaConcordiaInPort.jpg

We believe that a young attractive female former crew member knew or should have known that use of her charms & wiles (sexualty) on a middle age Captain could sufficiently distract him to endanger the ship, crew and passengers. That makes her culpable as a secodary cause of the results . It does not relieve the Captain of primary responsibility.

Well, then, John...if you're right, I think the safest course of action would be to remove middle-aged men from all positions of authority and responsiblity and pass those jobs to middle-aged heterosexual women who will be immune to those dangerously nubile nymphettes.

It's for everyone's best good.

I volunteer to lead the new regime as leader of the brave new world. You may refer to me as "Goddess of All She Surveys" (does this come with dental?)

Assuming someone plans to bring a paramour to the bridge of a ship which holds 4200 people's lives in the balance, and assuming that particular someone plans to drive said 114,000 ton ship like a Ferrari for the purpose of giving a few observers some giggles, then, yes, it WOULD be best to remove that individual from her or his position and for the sake of safety, and it WOULD best to pass that job on to just about anyone else.

I believe that John was commenting on a specific situation in which two people behaved entirely inappropriately rather than society at large. But I could be wrong....

Assuming someone plans to bring a paramour to the bridge of a ship which holds 4200 people's lives in the balance, and assuming that particular someone plans to drive said 114,000 ton ship like a Ferrari for the purpose of giving a few observers some giggles, then, yes, it WOULD be best to remove that individual from her or his position and for the sake of safety, and it WOULD best to pass that job on to just about anyone else.

I believe that John was commenting on a specific situation in which two people behaved entirely inappropriately rather than society at large. But I could be wrong....

My sentiments exactly!

As I read it, he was saying that Cemorton was responsible in some way because a young attractive ex crew member should have known "using" her sexuality would distract a middle-aged captain and endanger lives.

So, if she is partially responsible because she should have had this knowledge (and presumably covered herself in heavy veiling or something) where does this knowledge come from?

We haven't heard anything to say that Schettino tripped over his own feet in the presence of young women. So how can this knowledge be specific to the two individuals?

It must be common knowledge that middle-aged men become distracted in the presence of young women they find sexually attractive. Right?

Speaking strictly for myself, I know precisely how to use my sexuality to detract a man from something that might otherwise (pardon the pun) command his attention. Fortunately, I also know when it is appropriate to do so. If, as an adult woman, I didn't have any instinct at all telling me that bringing my sexuality to the captain on the bridge of a ship holding 4,200 people could create a distraction to him, I would have to be one of the most clueless women on earth.

If she was in fact his paramour and not a Russian translator summoned to perform in an official capacity, I think had a serious lapse in judgment in spending any time at all on the ship's bridge. I would say the same thing if she were his wife or his male lover.

Did the presence of Domnica Cemortan on the bridge of the Concordia that fateful night cause the accident? Probably not. Was her unauthorized presence a distraction, among other things, that could have contributed to the impact? Probably

The investigation is still in its preliminary stage and much needs to the weeded through and analyzed before reaching any conclusions.

I have to say though, that unfortunately for the captain, while he insists that Costa instructed him to do the "fly-by", Costa did not make him invite an unauthorized guest (whose suitcase errantly makes it to his cabin instead of her own cabin) to watch him follow Costa's alleged orders. This relationship could be just throwing a monkey wrench but it needs to be sorted out in order to understand the big picture.

At noon today a minute's silence was observed across the Costa fleet.

The following was posted on Costas web site

Costa Concordia January 13th, 2012. Never forget.

One month after that terrible night, we all at Costa Crociere renew our sincere condolences to the families and friends of our Guests and crew members who lost their lives in this tragic incident.

In the history of our Company, for sure these have been the saddest days of ever. We have all experienced, and with us who knows us, a dismay, a sadness, a deep pain, that we not envisioned to be possible.

This tragic incident should not be happened. We will never forget those who lost their lives and those who have experienced moments of fear in front of Giglio Island. We commit to make this will not happen never again.

[

Did the presence of Domnica Cemortan on the bridge of the Concordia that fateful night cause the accident? Probably not. Was her unauthorized presence a distraction, among other things, that could have contributed to the impact? Probably

The investigation is still in its preliminary stage and much needs to the weeded through and analyzed before reaching any conclusions.

Well, if you're going to be all reasonable about it... :D

Just a reminder to those who aren't as reasonable...there were two men named as potential distractors by the third officer. I don't blame them, either.

As far as I'm concerned, a young Rachel Welsh could have been on the bridge doing the dance of the seven veils with cocktail napkins...it wouldn't have been her fault either. If you can't work with distractions, don't invite them in!

At noon today a minute's silence was observed across the Costa fleet.

The following was posted on Costas web site

Costa Concordia January 13th, 2012. Never forget.

One month after that terrible night, we all at Costa Crociere renew our sincere condolences to the families and friends of our Guests and crew members who lost their lives in this tragic incident.

In the history of our Company, for sure these have been the saddest days of ever. We have all experienced, and with us who knows us, a dismay, a sadness, a deep pain, that we not envisioned to be possible.

This tragic incident should not be happened. We will never forget those who lost their lives and those who have experienced moments of fear in front of Giglio Island. We commit to make this will not happen never again.

[

Highlighting and enlargement of 3 words are mine....

MOMENTS OF FEAR????????? EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!!! They went through HOURS OF EXTREME FEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joanie

Well, if you're going to be all reasonable about it... :D

Just a reminder to those who aren't as reasonable...there were two men named as potential distractors by the third officer. I don't blame them, either.

As far as I'm concerned, a young Rachel Welsh could have been on the bridge doing the dance of the seven veils with cocktail napkins...it wouldn't have been her fault either. If you can't work with distractions, don't invite them in!

Do you mean Raquel Welch?

I can't agree. As a former Captain, it is pretty clear to me that this wasn't a case of him being distracted, at all. It is a matter of him misjudging the distance and "hot-rodding" his ship. I will try to put it into terms equated with driving a car so that even those without a mariners background can understand. What the course and his statements show is that he skidded while making the turn on the approach to the island. Someone interviewed mentioned that it was in his nature to drive his ship like a Ferrari, so he was always "showing off" whether or not this particular woman was around, or not. Sailing close to the island is not really a problem as there is plenty of water depth so it is just like having a road there to drive on, but there is a sharp curve in that road and he was going too fast to make the curve, so he slid the ship sideways off the road and into the rocks. Dominica is a fairly typical 25 year old with a tendency to "chat" way too much, and the attention on her takes away from where the true responsibility lies. The Captain was extremely focused on his ship, but not on the passengers. That is shown in the latest leaked videos. The phone conversations with the company are most likely about how to best preserve the company's asset, the ship. They wouldn't even have to spell it out as they all know the rules of the game, so you will never hear it in the conversations. For them it goes without saying. Not that the passengers aren't important to them, since they are the consumers of the product. The proximity to land and the idea that the ship would still float with two compartments flooded may have made them complacent about evacuating the passengers. He did not accurately anticipate the ship laying over on her side when she grounded in her current location and by that time I can assure you that any young woman was the furthest thing from his mind.

MorganMars

Realizing that you express one view of the Captain and Dominica duette which differs from the view held by others, including myself, I will restate our position without demeaning you or your opinion.

Further, I think her subsequent actions demonstrate how focused she is to be the center of attention. I imagine she would be no less demanding on a lover even at times when he should been totally focused on the ship and passengers.

John

If (and it's a big "if") she did distract the Captain then it's the Captain's fault for not briefing her that when on the bridge, she should in general keep quiet. And when they got closer to the island, the Captain should have told (not asked, told) her to keep quiet as he had to concentrate. Again, assuming that she did distract him.

VP

Archived