Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

There seems to be a problem with terminology here. When someone is at the helm, they are called helmsman, or sometimes wheelman. They are told when to go onto hand steering (rather than automatic) and then given helm orders such as what rudder angle or course the watch officer or captain want. The person giving the orders is called the conning officer, or person at the conn. The captain is seldom the helmsman, except at times when he is on the bridge wing, using wing controls to bring the vessel alongside a dock.

Hi There, welcome back.

That's why I believe that there should be a world wide ban on use of alcohol or drugs (with periodic testing) and a no co-habitation rule by senior officers during their contract, 24/7 which is seems to be opposed by some of our maritime posters.

John

John, I know of very few senior officers that will have more than a sip of wine......just to O.K. it at a captains table. When it comes to no co-habitation, are you referring to all members of the opposite sex, including wives, and or husbands? (Remember, there are a few female captains commanding cruise ships).

A captain is required on the bridge during periods of condition RED, such as coming into and leaving a port. Once a bridges condition comes to condition GREEN, the captain usually leaves the bridge to perform other duties.

In his cabin's office (at least the cabins that I have visited) he has a back up, or repeater of the bridges GPS with overlays, and course plotted. If he were in his office, a quick glance would tell him that he was approaching Giglio.

Different stories has him at different areas of the ship when she actually hit the shoal and took a very large piece of it with her that became step two of this disaster.

Some have the captain having dinner when this happened, others have him on the bridge. I believe from all of the records posted here, that the time was 9:42 PM

Does anyone of the passengers remember him at the dinner table when all hell broke loose, sending glasses and even tables moving in the dining room? Or, had he already left?? I can assure everyone, that no one would have had to whisper something in his ear about a problem, when the Concordia hit the shoal, especially since it was under the dining room towards the rear of the ship.

Just curious.

Rick

As another poster pointed out, a man driving a car with his date sitting in his lap makes them both culpable, obviously in different degrees.

Well, you know I disagree with that, unless the date forced him/herself onto the lap...

But using that analogy, Schettino had a very full lap. Why concentrate on just the one?

If a man is driving a car with several friends and his date sitting on his lap...okay, this is just logistically impossible! But you see where I'm heading?

According to La Repubblica, two men were mentioned by the third officer as being distracting influences during the manoeuver. Cemorton wasn't mentioned and there is no proof at this time that she was on the bridge at that time.

You haven't mentioned the culpability of the two who were named, but you seem to be focusing on the one who is still in question. Why is that?

Do you think that the purser is culpable?

What is your derogatory term for the purser?

Anyone know if Schettino requested a room with a sea view at the hotel Florida? Or was this maybe one of those occasions where a room looking landward above the garbage containers might have been chosen as being more appropriate?

He did well to get the hotel room when there were so many unexpected visitors arriving in Giglo that night. Maybe that accounts for his haste to leave the ship which in turn led to him tripping into the lifeboat? He needed to get there first?

Now a gentleman would have foregone that room when so many elderly, injured and distressed passengers were huddled on the cold floor of the local church or were sitting on the harbour wall.

"I heard that they were 'Big issue' vendors from Bolton, any truth on that rumour ? lol"

davyj .... If you read it in the scum or the daily sheep dip then it must be! you appear to have better info than me... :cool:

Nah just simple deductions, It was the Bolton wanderers club magazine pmsl...:D:D We have such a wonderful benefits system everyone is taking their slice lol

:):)

Anyone know if Schettino requested a room with a sea view at the hotel Florida?

If we can believe the news agencies, he was at the Hotel Bahamas at around 11:30 a.m. on the 14th. I'm not sure if he had a room at all. According to the reports, he spoke to the press, then the mature blond woman showed up and he left.

It may have just been a meeting place.

That's why I believe that there should be a world wide ban on use of alcohol or drugs (with periodic testing) and a no co-habitation rule by senior officers during their contract, 24/7 which is seems to be opposed by some of our maritime posters.

John

Yeah way to go !!! Lets make them monks or Nuns too !!!!

Daveyj ... Have to send my other half to Investigate LOL ....

Seems that a lot of people are fixated with the clothes found in Schettinos cabin which could well belong to his wife or Daughter seeing as they had only just left the ship that day!

You have to wonder why divers would be sent looking for womens clothes in Schettinos cabin other than to try to make up more nonsense stories!

Also the Purser supposed to be on the bridge? yet found up to his neack in water with a broken leg in the Deck 3 MDR !

Yeah - the pumping out preperations are continued again! ;)

http://www.focus.de/politik/schlagzeilen/nid_93917.html

First thing I noticed when checking the webcam this morning.

Joanie, as to your big IF, that is taking speculation to a whole other level and one, IMO, way out on a thin limb. From what has been said about the Captain being a "showboater" or "dare devil," the thrill of "bringing the ship closer to the island" would not be something he would turn over to another to do. If nothing else, his ego would not allow that.

The Captain, for whatever reason, made a fatal error. He took his ship, in the dark of night at a high speed too near a rocky coast. He further compounded that error by not being honest with Costa, with the CG, with his crew and passengers, and mostly with himself as to the damage to the ship.

What makes it difficult to determine exactly who was in command is conflicting reports as to where the Captain was when the ship first struck the rock. Many have him still at dinner when the ship hit the rock and others have him on the Bridge. The truth is probably in the middle. He stayed at dinner longer than he should have and returned to the Bridge in time to see the disaster that was quickly appoarching and not enough time to change the position of the ship.

Milaandra, I have made the point of "much being lost" in translation before. And it's just not translation, it's how the media presents it. While we on CC can speculate to a degree with what information we're reading, the prosecutor has to stick with facts and in time we will hear what the actual facts are. That's the least that is owed to the passengers, crew, and the families that lost loved ones.

Joanie, Corriere Fiorentino is the Florence version of Corriere della Sera so not the National Enquirer of Italy. I've been searching for follow-up articles of this one but to no avail. It is Sunday in Italy so it doesn't surprise me. This week will be probably be all about the Prosecutor asking for Schettino to go back to jail.......:confused:

Sorry not to have answered sooner, but was updating my Net Book in preparation for my next cruise in less than a month.

I am thinking that the Italian media is trying to keep the interest up in the Concordia. Not that that is bad!! But that they are attempting to put more of a spin on what is known versus what they think might happen.

Kind of like us here at Cruise Critic....

I think the one thing that sticks out, or should I say Jumps out... is that the Prosecutor gets to go back before the Judge and gets to have the House Arrest revoked and Schettino back in Jail until he is either convicted or not....

But I am not a lawyer so is all just a guess on my part.

I am also now wondering if this "Corriere Fiorentino" is a type of "The Enquirer" which makes all kinds of rumors appear to be truth.... I seriously doubt the "young children" allegation. Just something to drum up the sales...

Joanie

Which is why the term is a "Jethro" and not a "Max Baer Jr." :D

Again off topic, but what did the family think of the portrayal of Max Baer Sr. in "Cinderella Man"?

Do not know as I never saw it. I have no wish to see any movies about his life because I want to remember him as I knew him. I was 7 when he died just days after he'd been to visit with us in Sacramento, it broke my heart:(

Max Sr was one of my heroes as I was growing up. He taught me to love the sport of boxing and to live life with as few enemies and regrets as possible. He always told us kids, that to really enjoy life, you have to make friends of all who you think would make enemies. I know that probably does not make sense, but it did to me as a 7 year old and to this day as a 59 year old:)

I'm sure that would have come up in the testimony of the officers. And I can't think of any reason why he would do that...any more than if he gave the controls to the maitre d'.

I also wish that we could be privy to all the court proceedings. Maybe the Judge will allow cameras inside the court??? It would be nice to be able to hear and see the testimony(s) as they happen.

Ultimately, it comes down to no matter who was at te helm, Schettino is still guilty.

Joanie

We were told by the cabin steward when this message came over that Lifeboat No 3 was being lowered. He was translating all of the messages for us, this was a long time before the abandon ship message.

I will also note that this is the same lifeboat (Number 3 is also known as the captain's launch) that multiple French passengers on the ship have claimed to have seen the captain in from the ship. The captain was in civilian clothes and partially under a blanket according to their claims.

We will see how this assertion holds up when the the entire case goes through the legal process in Italy.

Milaandra, I have made the point of "much being lost" in translation before. And it's just not translation, it's how the media presents it. While we on CC can speculate to a degree with what information we're reading, the prosecutor has to stick with facts and in time we will hear what the actual facts are. That's the least that is owed to the passengers, crew, and the families that lost loved ones.

Well phrased!

But I would change "prosecutor" to "judge". From what Uniall tells us, the prosecutor's job is more about reasonable question in the same way the defender's job is about reasonable doubt. I think it's the judge who is concerned with the facts (in the context of proper procedure, of course).

Well phrased!

But I would change "prosecutor" to "judge". From what Uniall tells us, the prosecutor's job is more about reasonable question in the same way the defender's job is about reasonable doubt. I think it's the judge who is concerned with the facts (in the context of proper procedure, of course).

Point taken.

In the end it will be the judge to come to the final conclusion. I don't envy her the job she has before her.

It's almost as though you forgot that one of the primary reasons a man would want to climb to the captain level is to attain co-habitation rights with young, blonde women.
For all those CC'ers who wish to take up these opportunities of 'free cruises' onboards Costa cruise ship I am doing a sale of 'Blonde' wigs to improve your chances of being selected. I cannot, however do anything to improve your 'bimbo' status and you are going to have to work on that aspect yourself lol.

I am willing to accept Paypal and all monies collected will go to both my 'next cruise' and also my retirement fund, no discounts on bulk purchases !!!

:D:D

I've been reading (go figure!) about other cruiseship accidents, including a couple on HAL ships. The reason was to figure out what was different, what was similar. I found some. Beaching the ship, when possible, seems to be pretty common. At least half lied to the passengers about the severity of the problem. Whether they lied or immediately told passengers to muster, the length of time from accident to actual evacuation of passengers seems to range from about an hour to as much as 8 hours.

But here's the thing I find most disturbing.

I haven't read one...not one...account in which they were able to evacuate all the passengers on the lifeboats.

It doesn't seem to change with the numbers on board, either. Generally, it's been a matter more of luck than good planning that there were few, if any, fatalities. Often lifeboats were sent out overloaded, like in the case of the Concordia, and they still couldn't evacuate everyone that way.

Are the industry-wide marine standards for lifeboats inadequate?

If we can believe the news agencies, he was at the Hotel Bahamas at around 11:30 a.m. on the 14th. I'm not sure if he had a room at all. According to the reports, he spoke to the press, then the mature blond woman showed up and he left.

It may have just been a meeting place.

O.K. That's the trouble with factual accurracy......sometimes spoils a good story! :)

Archived