Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

Your 2nd video was the most amazing of anything I've seen, thanks for posting. The bridge activity gave me goose bumps, as there were around 3 alarms constantly going in the background with numerous flooding alarms coming on, then being silenced. Even though the voice over on the video was informative, it kept covering up dialog on the bridge.

As to any straying off topic, without the ability to PM, it promotes it. If anyone cares to go off-topic towards me, I have a thread already running just for that. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1554466

Your 2nd video was the most amazing of anything I've seen, thanks for posting. The bridge activity gave me goose bumps, as there were around 3 alarms constantly going in the background with numerous flooding alarms coming on, then being silenced. Even though the voice over on the video was informative, it kept covering up dialog on the bridge.

As to any straying off topic, without the ability to PM, it promotes it. If anyone cares to go off-topic towards me, I have a thread already running just for that. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1554466

Can you define a little bit of what is going?

I wish this would have translated into english. I wonder who was filming? I hear high heels?

Definitely hard heels, at least. Dress shoes of some sort. Do uniformed crew members where rubber soles?

They sure took off in a hurry when the abandon ship was called!

I wonder why this just showed up?

It's so frustrating not being able to figure out what they're all saying! Do you speak Italian?
From my basic understanding of Italian this was filmed on the bridge after impact - it outlines the actions and steps in a timeline. The commentator is saying that the operation was rather calm and not frantic but there was really no direction. The circle is where they show Schettino on the telephone while chaos was going on around him. They talk about the so called mutiny but I didn't understand it all. If there are some Italian speakers here, please come to our aid!

Definitely hard heels, at least. Dress shoes of some sort. Do uniformed crew members where rubber soles?

They sure took off in a hurry when the abandon ship was called!

I wonder why this just showed up?

I wonder if it is the lady in question? She might have been taping the whole thing and she kept going when he told her to leave the ship? I dont think anyone would wear heels. Those sound like high heels. Your thoughts?

From my basic understanding of Italian this was filmed on the bridge after impact - it outlines the actions and steps in a timeline. The commentator is saying that the operation was rather calm and not frantic but there was really no direction. The circle is where they show Schettino on the telephone while chaos was going on around him. They talk about the so called mutiny but I didn't understand it all. If there are some Italian speakers here, please come to our aid!

Thanks for finding it. I can't wait for a translation.

It's also the first time I've seen a lifeboat launched, which was pretty interesting to see.

I wonder if it is the lady in question? She might have been taping the whole thing and she kept going when he told her to leave the ship? I dont think anyone would wear heels. Those sound like high heels. Your thoughts?

Hmmm...okay, but nobody slam me for this. Remember you asked! :)

The person is wearing hard soles and is really slapping them down. I'd guess a man, actually. (I've done some work with sound effects in recording studios...even used the foley boxes in Sounds Interchange.) I checked with my husband before I told him what I thought, and he said "oh, it's a man" right away. Doesn't mean it isn't a woman, but if it is, it's one that trots like a man!

No interest from the crew members waiting in the hallways. I'd guess no one particularly important.

I'm going to say not Cemortan, since according to her testimony, she was at this point on the bridge and translating. She said she was ordered away around 10 minutes to midnight.

The national office overseeing search and anti-pollution operations said Friday that instruments registered increased and faster movements of the ship, which is resting on its side just outside Giglio island's port. But they said the movements have since slowed down.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Italy-Wrecked-cruise-ship-moves-in-rough-seas-3244741.php#ixzz1m0z6ZqLP

Hmmm...okay, but nobody slam me for this. Remember you asked! :)

The person is wearing hard soles and is really slapping them down. I'd guess a man, actually. (I've done some work with sound effects in recording studios...even used the foley boxes in Sounds Interchange.) I checked with my husband before I told him what I thought, and he said "oh, it's a man" right away. Doesn't mean it isn't a woman, but if it is, it's one that trots like a man!

No interest from the crew members waiting in the hallways. I'd guess no one particularly important.

I'm going to say not Cemortan, since according to her testimony, she was at this point on the bridge and translating. She said she was ordered away around 10 minutes to midnight.

No, I wont flame. I asked for the Opinion. I find it interesting to listen for things. I wonder if anyone noticed that someone was filming? And how they got this video. I am a curious person.

It started out announcing generators 1~6 were down. I could not hear the Captain very well because he wasn't giving orders loud enough to hear and was on the phone most of the time. The call for General Alarm (emergenza Generale) was asked for by deck officers a number of times, but again I couldn't hear the captain in that video. They were announcing compartments as they flooded and were also concerned about "tempo rimanente" time remaining. The chilling part (to me at least) was the repeated requests to sound General Alarm, with no reply from the captain.

It started out announcing generators 1~6 were down. I could not hear the Captain very well because he wasn't giving orders loud enough to hear and was on the phone most of the time. The call for General Alarm (emergenza Generale) was asked for by deck officers a number of times, but again I couldn't hear the captain in that video. They were announcing compartments as they flooded and were also concerned about "tempo rimanente" time remaining. The chilling part (to me at least) was the repeated requests to sound General Alarm, with no reply from the captain.

And what does "vabbuo" mean? I tried two different translation sites and they both translated it as...vabbuo!

WOW! Thank you, that puts things into perspective. The other officers wanted to sound the alarms and no response from the captain. Not a good sign, Boy I need to take a language course.

Thanks for this DO. Did you hear the part about the supposed mutiny? They kept referring to the circle and saying that was Schettino on the telephone totally lost in the conversation giving no orders whatsoever.

They also said something about Domnica being in a room next to the bridge but I didn't get the rest. They have Domnica in the diagram with a caption on her photo as Schettino's Amica - (Friend)?

The video just made it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doN909fxZRI

maybe from the comments if any we can get some translations.

At the end of the video they talk about a follow-up tomorrow of a detailed account from the minute of impact to the minute the abandon ship order was given.

Molto bene parlato. Noi americani assomigliano abbastanza Homer Simpson che abbiamo eletto due volte George Bush.

Just trying to make itmom feel better.

And why do you think Bush was elected twice Deck Officer? I have two words for you: Gore and Kerry!

Geez folks, I was just trying to make itmom feel better and I would have done it in a PM (private message) if this forum had that function. I have worked with just about every nationality, and after they discover I'm not a "my country, right or wrong" kind of person, they always ask "Was he the best that was available?"

Being a John Wayne kinda guy, I make no apologies for America but don't go out of my way to rub the locals nose in it when in a foreign country.

The best example I have is our hotel breakfast in Istanbul the day Obama was elected. Most people knowing we were from Chicago, incorrectly, assumed we were Obama supporters and congratulated us on his victory. Because I believe expression of internal American political differences should cease at the waters's edge, I simply replied: "That's the beauty of a domocracy, there's an election every four years."

John

And what does "vabbuo" mean? I tried two different translation sites and they both translated it as...vabbuo!
From the preliminary reports that I've read that is the voice of Schettino saying "vabbuo" after being told that the passengers were alone and did not know what to do. Apparently this is some form of va bene or "its okay". Will try to find out more.

Archived