Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

But you see, saving the ship IS all about saving the Captain.

It didn't appear that way to me. It appeared more to me that the Captain was all about jumping in a lifeboat and grabbing a taxi to Dry Socks R Us. (Figuratively speaking.)

The man I saw on the video and audio of the bridge and speaking to the port authority in Livorno that night knew good and well both his ship and his career were about to sink to the same depths.

I really cannot subscribe to the, Capitan was distracted theory. :(

If as many of you suggest, they were lovers and, he could have her any time he liked, why would there be a need for him to flaunt and fawn at his workplace to to attract her. The seduction had been done.;)

Why, if she was on the bridge, would this have been a one off event? Surely, as his piece of eye candy, she's been there before and, if this was the case, again, why was she a distraction.:confused:

If you are going to imagine things, be imaginative with your imagination. Think beyond this one event and invent a back story that supports your "Moldavian whore sinks ship" theory. :mad:

MorganMars, there were more than two compartments flooded and they (Captain and those on the bridge with him) knew that very quickly from the initial assessments.

That's why in the previous post I asked about the bridge videos. One clip has him say close the watertight doors. That should have been done seconds after hitting the rocks. It was a little into the clip I viewed, but I can't tell from that one when the order to close the water tight doors was given.

That was like 42 seconds into this clip. How long after impact was the 42 second mark of the bridge video.

It didn't appear that way to me. It appeared more to me that the Captain was all about jumping in a lifeboat and grabbing a taxi to Dry Socks R Us. (Figuratively speaking.)

The man I saw on the video and audio of the bridge and speaking to the port authority in Livorno that night knew good and well both his ship and his career were about to sink to the same depths.

I can't argue with the second half of your comment, but I think Schettino's been a bit misrepresented with all the "Nero fiddled while Rome burned" stuff. We now have proof that he wasn't wining and dining while the ship took on water, we have been told that the cab, hotel and quest for socks all happened late the next morning.

I noticed during the conversation with Mr. Obnoxious that both times passenger casualties were mentioned, he stopped trying to explain the situation and wanted to know more. Then there was the breakdown with the priest.

I know it's not much to base an opinion on, but I think it fits more with his character as described by family, neighbours and crew.

That's why in the previous post I asked about the bridge videos. One clip has him say close the watertight doors. That should have been done seconds after hitting the rocks. It was a little into the clip I viewed, but I can't tell from that one when the order to close the water tight doors was given.

That was like 42 seconds into this clip. How long after impact was the 42 second mark of the bridge video.

I'm sorry Evaluator...we even had some of our Italian friends doing translations for us, so I'm afraid it would be best to go through the last 15 pages or so to get all the information :eek:

Through one of the translations (I can't remember which) I got the impression that he was answering a question on the phone, rather than giving an order.

There are no versions of the video available to the public that are continuous. It was reported to start 10 minutes after the collision. (Which is one reason why I think it's possible someone sneaked up to the bridge to take it, unnoticed in the confusion)

Well, if you're going to be all reasonable about it... :D

Just a reminder to those who aren't as reasonable...there were two men named as potential distractors by the third officer. I don't blame them, either.

As far as I'm concerned, a young Rachel Welsh could have been on the bridge doing the dance of the seven veils with cocktail napkins...it wouldn't have been her fault either. If you can't work with distractions, don't invite them in!

Okay, I'll give you that one. So maybe there were 3 reasons for him to hot-rod and miscalculate. Who knows. But I agree with you that she was probably not the main cause.

I'm not sure Domnica can be assigned any degree of contributory culpability, but here's something to ponder:

What compelling reason would a mother of a 2 year-old child have to stay as a paying guest in her place of employment after she had been relieved of her duties? I'm not sure how long these contracts are but I believe they are for months at a time and judging from most of the comments on this forum, the working conditions are deplorable. One would think she would be the first to say arriverderci amici, I'm outta here - off to see my bambina. Unless of course, there was some damn good reason to stay. Power, love, money? My guess it's one of those 3.

I can't agree. As a former Captain, it is pretty clear to me that this wasn't a case of him being distracted, at all. It is a matter of him misjudging the distance and "hot-rodding" his ship. I will try to put it into terms equated with driving a car so that even those without a mariners background can understand. What the course and his statements show is that he skidded while making the turn on the approach to the island. Someone interviewed mentioned that it was in his nature to drive his ship like a Ferrari, so he was always "showing off" whether or not this particular woman was around, or not. Sailing close to the island is not really a problem as there is plenty of water depth so it is just like having a road there to drive on, but there is a sharp curve in that road and he was going too fast to make the curve, so he slid the ship sideways off the road and into the rocks. Dominica is a fairly typical 25 year old with a tendency to "chat" way too much, and the attention on her takes away from where the true responsibility lies. The Captain was extremely focused on his ship, but not on the passengers. That is shown in the latest leaked videos. The phone conversations with the company are most likely about how to best preserve the company's asset, the ship. They wouldn't even have to spell it out as they all know the rules of the game, so you will never hear it in the conversations. For them it goes without saying. Not that the passengers aren't important to them, since they are the consumers of the product. The proximity to land and the idea that the ship would still float with two compartments flooded may have made them complacent about evacuating the passengers. He did not accurately anticipate the ship laying over on her side when she grounded in her current location and by that time I can assure you that any young woman was the furthest thing from his mind.

MorganMars

Morgan Mars

We both agree that Captain Coward casued the disaster by hot roding the ship and mis judging the distance before turning.

We have a difference of opinion as whether the presence of a feme fatale may have provided a dsitraction that led to the misjudging of the distance. We both arrive at our differing opions based upon our different backgrounds, experiences, and observers of human nature; you as a sea Captain and I as a investigator and prosecutor.

We have adequete proof positive that at least one maritime professional (Coast Guard Commander) believed that Captain Coward was totally derelict in his duties and thinking of things other than his sworn responsiblities.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion but do not insist that I'm right and you are wrong. (When I was in my twenties, I believed I was right 5 out 5. After fifty, I'm delighted with 3 out of 5)

John

PS

Your use an analogy likening the navigation of the ship to hot rodding a Ferrari. As another poster remarked, a female might be complicit in causing an accident if she were sitting in the driver's lap. There are many other things she could be doing (which I will leave to imagination and fantasy) that would be even more distracting but good taste and public decency prevent mentioning them.

Power, love, money? My guess it's one of those 3.

We can take money off the list, since she had to pay to be there.

Camaraderie? It would fit into what we've seen of her. A little officious...becoming super-crew-member complete with yellow cape...

But to be fair, no one minded the vacationing captain (whatever his name is) putting himself on active duty.

We can take money off the list, since she had to pay to be there.

Camaraderie? It would fit into what we've seen of her. A little officious...becoming super-crew-member complete with yellow cape...

But to be fair, no one minded the vacationing captain (whatever his name is) putting himself on active duty.

Do we know she actually had to pay? Don't think this was proven yet. Her luggage didn't quite make it to her "paid" room.

Camaraderie? Perhaps but I would like to think a child would come before this.

Thank God Bosio, the off-duty captain, was there and apparently pressured the captain into giving the abandon ship command from what I understood of the bridge tape.

I'm kind of on board with what MorganMars had to say. As I understand it, the Captain was doing this as a favor for the family of the Maitre D. If you were to remove the woman completely from being on the Bridge or even on the ship, this accident would have still happened. The Captain still would have set his course and speed as he did. He still would have had the Maitre D and the other guests he invited on the Bridge, which could have been a distraction as much as anyone else.

Okay, I'll give you that one. So maybe there were 3 reasons for him to hot-rod and miscalculate. Who knows. But I agree with you that she was probably not the main cause.

I'm not sure Domnica can be assigned any degree of contributory culpability, but here's something to ponder:

What compelling reason would a mother of a 2 year-old child have to stay as a paying guest in her place of employment after she had been relieved of her duties? I'm not sure how long these contracts are but I believe they are for months at a time and judging from most of the comments on this forum, the working conditions are deplorable. One would think she would be the first to say arriverderci amici, I'm outta here - off to see my bambina. Unless of course, there was some damn good reason to stay. Power, love, money? My guess it's one of those 3.

The concept of Dominica being a paying guest keeps popping up. Most, if not all, cruise lines have incredible discounts for employees and their friends and family. (I've seen such discounts price inside cabins for $25 a day with waiver of gratuities for employees)

I agree with you about power, love, money. It could be all three.

I can't argue with the second half of your comment, but I think Schettino's been a bit misrepresented with all the "Nero fiddled while Rome burned" stuff. We now have proof that he wasn't wining and dining while the ship took on water, we have been told that the cab, hotel and quest for socks all happened late the next morning.

I noticed during the conversation with Mr. Obnoxious that both times passenger casualties were mentioned, he stopped trying to explain the situation and wanted to know more. Then there was the breakdown with the priest.

I know it's not much to base an opinion on, but I think it fits more with his character as described by family, neighbours and crew.

This amazes me. First.....you seem to research every detail, every picture, every sentence, every frame of video with no purpose other than to try and conjur up some slanted drivel of evidence to help you in your defense of Domnica and Schettino....you do Johnny Cochrane proud. You have a very clear and well defined agenda here. Personally...I don't even understand why Domnica is a part of this whole discussion. There's no way she can be blamed for this accident. It all lies on Schettino. He turned off the alarms and took manual control of the ship and steered it directly at the island at 15 knots.....took a sharp right turn when he was right on top of the island, and hit bottom on some rocks. Apparently you think this was just fine and dandy because some map somewhere doesn't show the rock. So who exactly do you think is at fault for the crash? The buck stops somewhere...tell us who you think is THE person responsible for the ship hitting the rocks? Then....when the captain leaves the ship when there are still people aboard fighting for their lives......you claim that DeFalco is "MR. OBNOXIOUS" for telling Schettino in clear and concise words to get his butt back on the ship and help those people still aboard. You try to turn DeFalco into the bad guy? Really????? Your agenda is crystal clear....but I think you need to state your beliefs on the key questions more clearly. Do you think Schettino was NOT at fault for this accident? Do you think Schettino wasn't at fault for not telling the passengers the truth about what was happening? Do you think Schettino wasn't at fault for not quickly informing the Coast Guard of the seriousness of the problem? Do you think that Schettino wasn't at fault for not getting the passengers on the lifeboats earlier? Do you not think that more lives might have been saved if everyone was ordered into the lifeboats sooner? Do you think that Schettino wasn't at fault for getting off the ship while passengers were still aboard fighting for their lives? Do you believe that he "tripped" and fell into the lifeboat? Do you think that Schettino should not have been ordered to reboard the ship by DeFalco? Do you think Schettino was the good guy and DeFalco the bad guy in this incident?

The concept of Dominica being a paying guest keeps popping up. Most, if not all, cruise lines have incredible discounts for employees and their friends and family. (I've seen such discounts price inside cabins for $25 a day with waiver of gratuities for employees)

I agree with you about power, love, money. It could be all three.

Most cruise lines do offer a friends and family rate. But Domnica was no longer an employee. Her contract had ended. Finito.

Which begs the question, who in their right mind would PAY and stay to be with the same people you work with day in and day out and not want to rush off to see your family?

There are several charts available to the navigator in different "scales." The chart that he was looking at may have been one where a mile equals less that one inch and would not show the rocks. The one he should have been using would have been more like using four inches to equal one mile. That scale would provide much more detail including the rocks. This would be another Captain navigational error, however, as he should know to select the appropriate chart for the situation. Rather like the difference between using a map of the United States to find your way around downtown Manhattan.

MorganMars

That all sounds pretty reasonable. Does that mean you think the rock was indicated on the electronic map? (sorry...I don't know what it's actually called)

C.E.O of Costa said Domnica/Dominica had paid for her ticket weeks ago! also Roberto Bosio was the Staff Captain on Concordia! and therefore was not an off duty Captain as the Media had claimed along with many other things that are now proving them wrong!

But don`t let the Truth get in the way of a good story eh! after all the Truth does not sell newspapers.

Do we know she actually had to pay? Don't think this was proven yet. Her luggage didn't quite make it to her "paid" room.

My understanding is that even when officers have family or friends on and sharing their stateroom they still have to pay a portion of the costs, ie: food. (Not sure if that includes Captains.) She would also need a key card for any expenses, ie: drinks.

Domnica very well could have had a cabin but that doesn't mean she had to use it if other arrangements had been made. Her luggage could have been placed in her room but it wouldn't take long to have it moved elsewhere.

Morgan Mars

We both agree that Captain Coward casued the disaster by hot roding the ship and mis judging the distance before turning.

We have a difference of opinion as whether the presence of a feme fatale may have provided a dsitraction that led to the misjudging of the distance. We both arrive at our differing opions based upon our different backgrounds, experiences, and observers of human nature; you as a sea Captain and I as a investigator and prosecutor.

We have adequete proof positive that at least one maritime professional (Coast Guard Commander) believed that Captain Coward was totally derelict in his duties and thinking of things other than his sworn responsiblities.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion but do not insist that I'm right and you are wrong. (When I was in my twenties, I believed I was right 5 out 5. After fifty, I'm delighted with 3 out of 5)

John

PS

Your use an analogy likening the navigation of the ship to hot rodding a Ferrari. As another poster remarked, a female might be complicit in causing an accident if she were sitting in the driver's lap. There are many other things she could be doing (which I will leave to imagination and fantasy) that would be even more distracting but good taste and public decency prevent mentioning them.

OK, I've read some of the supposed distractions... and I have to state emphatically that at no time have I ever stated the blonde was a distraction to Schettino nor do I believe she was show boating her wares in his face whilst on the Concordia Bridge that fateful night.

What I DO blame her for is jumping/pushing herself into the limelight as she has done continuously since 13/14 January 2012.

She continues to make statements over and over again that seem to contradict every other comment she makes:confused:

My old daddy used to tell me as a kid that IF you tell a lie, you will have to cover that original lie over and over again with more lies, because even if the truth sounds better, one lie leads to another and another and another and you can never unbury yourself from the first one.

In this case the blond has colored or should I say muddied the waters so badly that NO ONE wants to see Schettino in a good light except his wife and possibly Milaandra (Sorry could not help that one:))

Schettino is the culprit, but the blond is guilty only of true stupidity and making it appear that the old adage of Dumb Blond look to be true (I am a blond and am definitely not a dumb one, no matter what my hubby says:D)

EDITED TO ADD: HALLELUJAH CruisersNC!!!! Exactly what 99...% of us have been trying to get across since day 1!!!

Joanie

C.E.O of Costa said Domnica/Dominica had paid for her ticket weeks ago! also Roberto Bosio was the Staff Captain on Concordia! and therefore was not an off duty Captain as the Media had claimed along with many other things that are now proving them wrong!

But don`t let the Truth get in the way of a good story eh! after all the Truth does not sell newspapers.

Do you have a link to Bosio being the staff captain? The last article I read was this one that states he was an off-duty captain:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088234/Costa-Concordia-hero-Roberto-Bosio-calls-captain-Francesco-Schettino-disgraceful-man.html

As for Costa claiming Domnica had paid for her ticket weeks ago.....I'm not inclined to believe most of what Costa says at this point.

I think this is what makes me most angry. I cannot understand how any mother would not RUSH back to be with her child when she is on leave. She has spent MONTHS working MILES away from her child and when she gets the chance she goes to her lover!

Let's time to stay with the timeline, please. We were originally talking about what occured when he struck bottom and while he was still on the bridge prior to the abandoning of the ship. By the time he is in the lifeboat, which I agree with you, he should have not left the ship with so many still in danger, it is too late.

Consider an alternative, however; He hits the rocks, he knows water is coming in, but if he can keep the boat afloat and contract with the tugs to tow it to the nearest yard, the ship is still in the control of the company. It has to do with an extremely complicated area of maritime law called "salvage rights."

Archived