What to do in Cozumel??

moflojo

Been to Cozumel 5 times. Have done everything from parasailing, the ruins, segways, to doing nothing. It's a great port to do whatever as well as .

We are thinking of doing the ruins when we are in Coz in December but am a bit scared since the RCI site mentions seasick on the ferry and it is also mentioned here in this thread. How bad is it? Is all the travel time worth it to get to the ruins? DH and DS are both big history buffs so that's why we thought of the ruins but don't want the day killed with sick feelings. Help please :)

We would like to shop and do the beach for part of the time....Is that possible? What is the best way to make that happen?

Has anyone booked a tour with Island Marketing.

I was wondering about the Highlights tour 4.5 hours.

Any info would be appreciated.

:)

• 1 month later...
We loved the Salsa and Salsa excursion: we made yummy food, lots of margaritas, and then we danced ! Everyone had a super time. the hotel beach and pool facilities are also available, and looked lovely, but there just wasn't enough time to take advantage. :)

Which beach/resort was it? Why didn't you have enough time for the beach?

Thanks in advance,

Ann

Been to Cozumel 5 times. Have done everything from parasailing, the ruins, segways, to doing nothing. It's a great port to do whatever as well as having specific plans. Only problem was last time we were there we went to Mexican Resturant at the pier for lunch. NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!! It was the blandest food ever.

you are the first person i've seen who said they did segway- which company? how was it? we were thinking about doing it in costa maya as its the only one offered by carnival but i found two private in cozumel.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the shopping, sightseeing and tequila tour last time. It was nice, but we really wanted to spend more time downtown shopping (NOT at the pier!). So this time, we're getting off the boat, getting a taxi and going into town to walk around, shop and enjoy Mexico!

Nachi cocum - is a great day - It is an AI, quite and relaxing. Loved it.

Paradise Beach - Is also a great day- Good food good drinks pay as you go but more of a party atmosphere as the day progresses. Water activities.

Last trip to Cozumel we did Nachi Cocum as it was just adults and we had a blast.

This trip we are taking our son and going to Paradise beach.

We are thinking of doing the ruins when we are in Coz in December but am a bit scared since the RCI site mentions seasick on the ferry and it is also mentioned here in this thread. How bad is it? Is all the travel time worth it to get to the ruins? DH and DS are both big history buffs so that's why we thought of the ruins but don't want the day killed with sick feelings. Help please :)

Ferry ride can be smooth or rough - it all depends upon the sea state. :confused: Seeing the ruins in either Tulumn or Coba from Coz is an all day event - get to the ferry, ride, then bus to the ruins, tour, and reverse. Lots do it, but I would rather save this for when I'm visitng PDC or Cancun and enjoy the beaches on Coz. Your call!

Good luck! :)

We have been to cozumel twice and are returning in November and hope to do the amazing race excursion.

On our first visit we did the ATV jungle trek and Myan ruins. It was a blast and on the island. We came back completely covered in mud though so you might want to keep that in mind.

On our last visit we rode the ferry across to the main land and did the amazing secret river tour. The ferry ride was a little ruff but we stayed inside in the air conditioning so it ws not to bad. The tour was the best tour we have ever been on in any port of call. It was like traveling into another world. However, if you are not mobile it may not be for you. If you are mobile I would recommend this to everyone as a must do in life.

Hope you enjoy your crusie and your time in cozumel. I always do considering, a day on any excursion is better than a day at work. Happy sailing.:cool:

My vote is the Cozumel Bar Hop Tour. My wife and I just came back from Cozumel and we went on this tour. Went to the eastern side of the island and made several stops on the eastern side. Do a search here and you will find sereval hundred good reviews. When we go back in June we will be back on the tour.

• 1 month later...
We loved the Salsa and Salsa excursion: we made yummy food, lots of margaritas, and then we danced ! Everyone had a super time. the hotel beach and pool facilities are also available, and looked lovely, but there just wasn't enough time to take advantage. :)

what is the drinking age for this excursion? I know in Mexico it is 18 and we have a daughter who will be 21 in December and want to know if she would be included for all parts of this excursion?

what is the drinking age for this excursion? I know in Mexico it is 18 and we have a daughter who will be 21 in December and want to know if she would be included for all parts of this excursion?

21 - no problem

18 - no problem

12 (with money in your pocket), even that might not be an issue.:o

Technically the drinking age in Mexico is 18, so your daughter will be fine. Good luck!

La Choza was OK for lunch, nothing out of this world in my opinion. Menu was on the small side, but to each his own. Will be looking for other options next time.

ADVICE for making large purchases in Cozumel: It sounds counter-intuitive, but use your credit card (as long as the place is reputable) if prices are in pesos. The reason for this is the restaurant or other business will usually give you an exchange rate that is not in your favor. You'll have to pay a small foreign transaction fee on your credit card, usually, but it definitely works out in your favor.

OK, another Cozumel recommendation for the OP: treat yourselves to a massage with Sally at Barefoot in Cozumel. We did this in January and she was fantastic!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I agree with ILoveCruising post, we have been to Cozumel many times. The last few times we have done the Cozumel Bar Hop. You don't have to be big drinkers... you will see a beautiful side of the island (eastern) side. They have delicious coconut shrimp at Rastas!!

I didn't see this thread when it was started months ago, but it really made me laugh. If I were the one looking for advice, this thread would have just confused me more! Sooooooo many different opinions on the best thing to do in Cozumel. Want another opinion that wasn't offered yet? We did the "everything" self-tour. Here's a link to my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1500129

We'll be back in October. This time we're doing Chankanaab for snorkeling, beach, and maybe some of the shows.

My wife booked an excursion with her aunt to the Mayan ruins through Royal Caribbean. When reviewing cruise critic she came across a web site with private excursions for alot less than what RC is charge. They are the same thing except we would be on a van just for us compared to a bus with alot RC people. The cost thru RC is $ 198 for two people compared to $ 270 for all 6 of us. The only concern she has is it safe to do this? She heard it is better to stay with a crowd when driving that far into land. Any thoughts?

My wife booked an excursion with her aunt to the Mayan ruins through Royal Caribbean. When reviewing cruise critic she came across a web site with private excursions for alot less than what RC is charge. They are the same thing except we would be on a van just for us compared to a bus with alot RC people. The cost thru RC is $ 198 for two people compared to $ 270 for all 6 of us. The only concern she has is it safe to do this? She heard it is better to stay with a crowd when driving that far into land. Any thoughts?

From Coz to the ruins involves tranport from your ship/port to the ferry, a ferry ride to Playa del Carmen, a bus/van to the ruins, tour, lunch, and then reverse to get back to the ship. Does your independent tour operator include the ferry tickets, admission, tour and everything included in the RCI package? :confused:

By booking through the cruiseline you are guaranteed that if something in that chain goes wrong you will get back to the ship -- something your discount tour operator cannot guarantee. :eek: That's a long day and a lot of travelling and opportunities for breakdowns and missed connections - but also some serious savings. Your call.

me and my wife are first timers, going on the carnival triumph western caribbean leaving july 2, 2012. going to cozumel progresso yucatan. All We wanna do is or me personally parasail and she wants to see the giant pyramid (mayan ruins) and shop then relax with a few drinks on the beach before we head back on the ship. thanks any help will be appreciated.

me and my wife are first timers, going on the carnival triumph western caribbean leaving july 2, 2012. going to cozumel progresso yucatan. All We wanna do is or me personally parasail and she wants to see the giant pyramid (mayan ruins) and shop then relax with a few drinks on the beach before we head back on the ship. thanks any help will be appreciated.

You can parasail from just about any beach -- I know they do it often from Paradise Beach in Coz. I would book the Mayan Ruins tour for one of your other stops -- that's a long day with two ferry rides (from Coz to the mainland and back) if you try to go to Tulum or Coba from Cozumel.

My vote goes to Chankanaab of course. We simply love this place. We have been twice in the last 8 months and actually picked our ship on the last time just because it was going there.

You can find my review from the first time here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

There is a link at the bottom of each review with tons of more pictures.

Here is the dolphin swim we did there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30692077&postcount=65

Our visit there 2 months ago: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33274360&postcount=48

This place is so beautiful with so many things to do and see there. I personally think it's a "do not miss" place. There's a beautiful lagoon with iguanas walking around, a small cove beach area with calm water, AWESOME snorkeling and a huge beach, the self-guided tour into a "jungle" with carved stones and replica mayan ruins, dolphin swims, manatee swims, sea lion show, a pool, shopping, the best food ever, hair braiding and so on.

I have seen more varieties of sea life/fish/coral at this place than most places I've visited before.

IMG5807-M.jpg

IMG5823-M.jpg

IMG5646-M.jpg

IMG7960-M.jpg

IMG7977-M.jpg

IMG1414-M.jpg

My vote goes to Chankanaab of course. We simply love this place. We have been twice in the last 8 months and actually picked our ship on the last time just because it was going there.

You can find my review from the first time here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

There is a link at the bottom of each review with tons of more pictures.

Here is the dolphin swim we did there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30692077&postcount=65

Our visit there 2 months ago: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33274360&postcount=48

This place is so beautiful with so many things to do and see there. I personally think it's a "do not miss" place. There's a beautiful lagoon with iguanas walking around, a small cove beach area with calm water, AWESOME snorkeling and a huge beach, the self-guided tour into a "jungle" with carved stones and replica mayan ruins, dolphin swims, manatee swims, sea lion show, a pool, shopping, the best food ever, hair braiding and so on.

I have seen more varieties of sea life/fish/coral at this place than most places I've visited before.

IMG5807-M.jpg

IMG5823-M.jpg

IMG5646-M.jpg

IMG7960-M.jpg

IMG7977-M.jpg

IMG1414-M.jpg

Mitsugirly...I whole heartedly agree...Chankannaab is wonderful! I've been 6 times since 2004 and will be there again in two weeks! The snorkeling there is great...especially if you take a small box of corn flakes with you from the ship! So much to do there for all ages. Taking two newbies this time...getting excited!

Mitsugirly...I whole heartedly agree...Chankannaab is wonderful! I've been 6 times since 2004 and will be there again in two weeks! The snorkeling there is great...especially if you take a small box of corn flakes with you from the ship! So much to do there for all ages. Taking two newbies this time...getting excited!

I agree. This place just amazed me! We've been twice in the last 8 months. We are returning to Cozumel in 6 months, but we decided to change things up a little and try a different place. We would like to experience something different. I'm just afraid any other place I'm going to end up is going to disappoint me. :( I've already prepared myself for "not-so-good" snorkeling elsewhere. :eek:

thanks for the info. we were thinking about renting a car from avis and drive to the mayans (is this possible) honestly we dont wannna spend 7 or 8 hours at the mayan ruins. we just wanna take a few pic and be an our way to another thing. any help?

Archived