Walking to port of Miami - NCL Term B

Riverdome

My answer was to the original poster:

Riverdome

"Booked room at the InterContinental thinking we could walk to the port. Now that I'm looking at a map I'm not 100% sure. We're in our early 30s and can handle a walk but would like to know what we are in for. Are we talking walkway or the shoulder on the side of the road?”

The post about religious reasons is a different person...

Hard to follow - I agree...

Please remember that the original post is now almost 2 years old. I doubt the original poster is even following this thread. :)

Actually I did give the muster issue some thought before writing my last post:

1. If the drill is conducted on the outside deck (as on HAL) they would be outside the perimiter of the quasi-eruv created by the ship's interior door frames. So someone else would have to carry their card for them and check in with the muster captain for them. Which may be an issue if any crew member asked them questions or gave them instructions. More to that point would be if:

2. ...they were on one of the few ships that still requires bringing the life jackets to the drill. If the drill was held inside the ship they could carry the life jacket with them. But attending the drill with the knowledge and anticipation that a crewmember at work (even if the crewmember is not Jewish) would be instructing them when and how to practice putting on the life jacket constitues abetting the violation of the Sabbath.

I concluded that the muster drill issue was an extension of what I found from a quick search of 'getting photographed on the Sabbath': while merely having one's photo taken is not a violation, following the photographer's instruction to "stand here and look into the camera" is. Maybe I will call one of my mom's friends who is Orthodox and I know used to cruise regularly with her husband to see if what I wrote actually makes any sense.

(And I should probably leave this one alone--but there is the thorny issue of an Orthodox man potentially taking orders from a female officer. Though I imagine that any Jewish man so fervently rooted in the Dark Ages has never given a thought to cruising)

I am a bit confused.

The poster only asked if one could walk from an area hotel to the port because of the issue of driving on Sabbath.

I know plenty of people who will not drive on the Sabbath yet they will carry a key and other related items. I would let that person worry about this.

And if they didn't want to attend the muster drill for religious reasons I suspect they could get a waiver.

With that said given that they are looking to board a ship on the Sabbath I suspect attending a muster drill would likely be doable but only they can decide.

Keith