Shellac manicures on Equinox

asnaleah

Yes, shellac manicures are available on the Equinox, but you wouldn't know it from either the website or by calling customer service.

Hi Asnaleah,

Confused... were you replying to someone else's posting? Or putting up a topic for Info or Discussion?

At any rate, you are right, the S-Class Ships offer Shellac Manicures & Pedicures with CDI Products onboard... (could be though that it isn't on the Celebrity Website, because it isn't a product available on ALL Celebrity Ships at this time... it was available on The Solstice)

Personally, I found them to be over-rated, and on the ship over-priced for services.

If I had a do-over, I would have just made a constructive effort to have "made time" for a Pedicure here at home BEFORE my cruise.

Cheers!

Yes, shellac manicures are available on the Equinox, but you wouldn't know it from either the website or by calling customer service.

Excuse my ignorance but what are "shellac manicures", please? I am sure that it is something quite normal but I have never had a manicure and am considering one for our next cruise.

Sue

Excuse my ignorance but what are "shellac manicures", please? I am sure that it is something quite normal but I have never had a manicure and am considering one for our next cruise.

Sue

Sue, not sure if "shellac" is the same thing, but I have what is called over here a "gel" manicure. Simply amazing! Lasts at least 2 weeks, doesn't chip or break. The manicurist paints on I think 3 or 4 separate layers of this colourless gel type stuff, baking it dry in this special machine (painless!) then paints on the coloured gel then top-coat. Makes your nails hard as a rock and gloriously shiny! Just the best thing for a cruise. I think the average price is around £20/25 and worth every penny.

Sue

Edited by Sue'n'Steve

Sue' date=' not sure if "shellac" is the same thing, but I have what is called over here a "gel" manicure. Simply amazing! Lasts [b']at least[/b] 2 weeks, doesn't chip or break. The manicurist paints on I think 3 or 4 separate layers of this colourless gel type stuff, baking it dry in this special machine (painless!) then paints on the coloured gel then top-coat. Makes your nails hard as a rock and gloriously shiny! Just the best thing for a cruise. I think the average price is around £20/25 and worth every penny.

Sue

Sue

Thanks for this. "Gel" always sounds so soft, |I had not realised that it is baked hard. I just cannot keep nail polish on my nails and would welcome something guaranteed to last a couple of weeks If I could have it redone on board, if necessary, even better. [in practice, it would need to last three weeks for a two week cruise.]

Sue

Sue

Thanks for this. "Gel" always sounds so soft, |I had not realised that it is baked hard. I just cannot keep nail polish on my nails and would welcome something guaranteed to last a couple of weeks If I could have it redone on board, if necessary, even better. [in practice, it would need to last three weeks for a two week cruise.]

Sue

I usually only get mine done every 3 weeks. The biggest problem is the out growth not so much chipping of the polish. If you know it is going to be longer before you can get them redone you can go with a more natural color for the base of the nail had have the fun colors on the tips. Or even just get a French manicure. Shellac is like the original gel nails but better, there is very little if any damage done to the nail and besides the top and bottom coats being clear the other coats usually 2 or 3 are the colors or design that you want. Kim

Does anyone know how much they are on the ship? Here at home they are anywhere from $25 - $30. Although I do have a coupon for $19. Can't wait to use it.

TO CRUISING CHICK,

When I inquired at the Spa on the Solstice... they said a Manicure or Pedicure EACH were in the $ 75 to $ 100 range.

A change of Polish $ 20

BUT no one told me if these prices were with Standard Polish or the Shellacs.

And well, personally, at least I found the staff at the Spa very aloof (unfriendly)... they sure didn't sell me on wanting to spend that kind of money (or time with them).

I ended up just buying some polish and doing my own (well actually Mr Sloop was kind enough to do it one afternoon while we were sitting on our balcony... what a spoiled girl I am... and what a marvellous way to get your toes painted... while taking in the sunshine, ocean view and air... will be a memory I hold for a long time)

Cheers!

*NOTE - Spa Staff onboard don't work for Celebrity... they are private contractors. Infact I'd have to say that the ONLY folks onboard who we EVER had any issues with (us or our friends) in regards to being helpful or politie, were Non-Celebrity Staff... you'll find them in the Spa, the Shops and the Photo Studio. I walked out of the Spa, our friends out of the Photo Studio (and they were on their Honeymoon and thinking of spending big bucks for a private sitting) and heard that others walked out of the Shops without spending a dime... all for similar reasons. Poor Customer Service !! (A sort of "hey you are bothering me" attitude)... a total contrast to what we felt elsewhere on the ship, where Celebrity's Staff were so polite, helpful, kind, happy, etc.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

TO CRUISING CHICK,

When I inquired at the Spa on the Solstice... they said a Manicure or Pedicure EACH were in the $ 75 to $ 100 range.

A change of Polish $ 20

Thanks for the info. I will get my manicure and pedicure done at home the day before we leave. It's only a 12 night cruise so it will last for the entire time plus some.

What I don't understand is WHY they have to be so expensive. I mean a regular manicure at home is $10-15 and a pedicure is $15-20. Even if they were double that on the ship it's still no where near the $75-$100 range. That's just ridiculous. And people complain about the price of drinks being to high.

Edited by CruisingChick

I always get mine done - the "everlasting" before going on board - in fact I get them done every three weeks anyway.

They are wonderful - if you use the right basecoat you can "change your colour" for the night and then next morning, take it off with a non acetone wipe and bingo, you have the original everlasting polish still there

I find it worth its weight in gold as my nails cannot look chipped for work

I always get mine done - the "everlasting" before going on board - in fact I get them done every three weeks anyway.

They are wonderful - if you use the right basecoat you can "change your colour" for the night and then next morning, take it off with a non acetone wipe and bingo, you have the original everlasting polish still there

Hi, I'm a little confused. I have never had the Shellac done. So do you mean you can use another color over the shellac for the evening and then take it off with non-acetone remover and the shella manicure wiill still be okay?

Thanks.

Yes you can - well the gel one I get you can, its by Nails Inc but I think they are all the same. It is really great as I can have my nails "pinker" normally and then go bright red to match a dress then back to pink for the day

Yes you can - well the gel one I get you can, its by Nails Inc but I think they are all the same. It is really great as I can have my nails "pinker" normally and then go bright red to match a dress then back to pink for the day

WOW, thanks so much. That is great. I would have never known. Actually I just found out about Shellac manicures 2 weeks ago.

I started having gel manicure/pedicures for holidays last year, 3 holidays the longest for 3 weeks and they were still perfect only needed removed due to nail growth, definitely recommend this. Can even have a french manicure and not have to worry about matching to outfits.

I have been getting the gel polish since last summer and love it. I like getting the french manicure and have polished with another color and then removed to go back to french.

I had a manicure and pedicure last year on the Solstice - LOVED them both. The girl who did my mani was so good I had her do a pedi even though I had one before I left - it was the BEST pedi that I have ever gotten. I hope to get one next week when we sail on her again. They do offer specials on port days and hopefully I can take advantage of that!

My friend Judy and I each got a shellac manicure last September on Century. Hers lasted forever! One of my nails lasted less than 48 hours & I got it fixed. But it was the 1st one to go again right after I got home. I was not pleased.

Thanks for the tips! I always knew that Cruise Critic was great but I never expected advice on my nails. I have search the Internet many times trying to find a solution with no success. Should have made this my first port of call.

Sue

My friend Judy and I each got a shellac manicure last September on Century. Hers lasted forever! One of my nails lasted less than 48 hours & I got it fixed. But it was the 1st one to go again right after I got home. I was not pleased.

I'm sure much of that has to do with the preparation before hand. Mine usually last 3 weeks. I have a friend who is a beautician of all things who peeled her shellac off....I know not to go to her salon! :eek: As mention though, the only problem is regrowth....if your nails grow fast, you will need to have it done probably with in the two week period

I have ultra thin nails and shellac/gel has helped give mine a little more body. Personally, this is one treatment I would probably never get on the ship. I have a wonderful local place that I have to make an appointment for (very loyal clientele). I pay $30 plus tip and that includes nail designs on any or all of my nails.

This is the one I had done over Christmas.....I'm always very pleased with them! :)

nails.jpg.25a6cfbdca4581024de91e2638ca7a5e.jpg

You have to keep your nails well oiled when you have an everlasting polish on - not sure if X sell the pens ( would be surprised if they did not) but I have a great little brush pen from Nails Inc that apply each morning and night. Provided I remember to do this, my nails do not "pop" Some places do not tell you about this as they want you to come back more quickly for "repairs"

My goodness, who ever thought I would have learned so much about manicures on Cruise Critic.

Unfortunately for our cruise we embark and then have 3 sea days, so our first port day isn't until after 4 nights on the ship, so I will have to get my manicure/pedicure before we leave.

Thanks for the tips about the oil. I wonder if we have that here. I will have to look.

OK, so now I know that I need to try Gel/Shellac nails BUT the closest Nails Indc to us is over 70 miles aways across country and, as our next cruise is at the end of December, I am not going to be able to guarantee getting their if the winter is bad. So, my next plan is to get my hails done in Fort Lauderdale in the three days we are there pre-cruise.

Has anyone tried Harbor Nails, 1501 SE 17th Street, Fort Lauderdale. please? It is opposite the Holiday Inn Express. I found some good reviews on the Internet but a Cruise Critic recommendation is worth so much more.

And, thanks for the tip about oiling the nails.

Sue

Sue, maybe you should also post that on the East Coast Departure boards. There are people posting over there who seem to know a lot about the area around the ports.

Thanks I was going to try that as well but, as the conversation was on-going here, I thought that I would try that first.

Sue