Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Tonka .... I fail to see what the two world wars have to do with this thread? And maybe you should delete the comment regarding it.

Sorry my friend.....but NO! I am not one of those Americans who back down when we are attacked.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

There was a picture on the web that I saw this last week (from the Last Salute site) that showed the hole in the hull where the rock used to be. In the same picture above it are multiple square plates on the exterior of the hull which I think was probably a few decks up, so that looks to me like OV cabin windows that have been welded/plated shut. Perhaps they will do the same process with the hole where the rock was removed.

I saw some photos on the web of the covering of the windows. They appeared to be marine plywood, since in the same photo you could see the sheets of the coverings stacked up on the port side as they were in the processing of covering the windows.

Tonka .... I fail to see what the two world wars have to do with this thread? And maybe you should delete the comment regarding it.

Sadly, Sidari, this just shows where the gulf is tween points of view.

A well qualified and respected Navy commander stuffs it up and causes 290 Iranian civilians to be killed due to a mistake in judgement and it's apparently OK...brushed under the carpet.

Whereas an Italian merchant commander stuffs it up and causes 32 multiple nationality civilians to be killed due to a mistake in judgement and its an immediate hanging offence, no trial or jury.

I see no difference tween the two commanders, and since it has been drummed into all and sundry that a commander always takes ultimate responsibility for his and his crew's actions...especially when deaths are caused...the playing field is far from being even when comparing the two cases.

Both commanders made errors...including being off course, allowing/committing actions likely to endanger life and ultimately killing people.

Yet the military man gets a pat on the back and the civilian man get hung, drawn and quartered.

So no attack was made on the USA...just a basic comparison of two human beings who stuffed things up and caused innocent civilians to die.

Simple enough really...why is there a difference in attitudes towards the two men and what they are responsible for doing?

Removal date pushed back a month from January 2013 to February 2013.

"The work of removing the Costa Concordia will undergo a shift in time." This was announced by the mayor of the island of Giglio Sergio Festambiente Ortelli at the event which was held this morning on this island of the Tuscan archipelago. A first estimate of the time, made ​​by Italian-American consortium Titan Salvage Micoperi-charge of operations, provided for the removal by February 2013. "While we understand the complexity of the operations - said the mayor - at this point ask the Centre to the removal chaired by the Region of Tuscany come back to meet every day with constant updates so that the community gigliese a part might have been a garrison with the evolution of the work and the other companies charge relazionino so sure about the timing of removal. "

Just at this time you are in a meeting of the Observatory. In recent days the vessel arrived at Lily 'Micoperi 30', a platform of 120 meters that will be used as part of operations to remove the wreck of the ship. The 'Micoperi 30' is in addition to another platform that already for a month is used in the recovery of Concord. The 'Micoperi' 30 'will be used to carry out drilling on the left side of the wreck and to install the bases where they will be set no later than November, the submarine platforms, which will support the hull at the time of the rotation and put back in the vertical position of the ship. Will also serve for the installation of the box-floating along the left side of the ship provided by the project for removal.

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/08/13/news/concordia_slittano_i_tempi_sindaco_subito_un_vertice-40877933/?ref=twhr&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Since cabin modules are prefabricated and then added onto the ship after construction, the cabins on the undamaged side of the hull could be used again after being cleaned up and repaired.

Like the tenders/lifeboats that are sat on wasteground nearby, they may well end up on another ship and no-one would be any the wiser once they get repainted etc.

There is another ship on the construction blocks now, a Dream class for Costa...if the cabin modules and tender/lifeboats are in good order, no reason not to reuse them on the newbuild so long as they are structually satisfactory (and the boats get recertified for use).

Older ships that are broken don't generally have prefab cabins, so they get broken up with the rest of the ship whereas Concordia is a young ship with plenty of reusable parts.

The airline industry used to recycle parts...until the ghost stories from Eastern 401 surfaced and then the practice of using parts from crashed planes ended.

That is one thing about recoveries..............everything, including when things happen, will always be changing.

AKK

I guess that now everyone knows what you are and you have no credibility..you go to politics and attach the USA?

Shame we saved the UK in 2 wars from now having to speak German.

AKK

I agree David' date=' The best thing to do now is to ignore sc.

AKK[/quote']

Sorry my friend.....but NO! I am not one of those Americans who back down when we are attacked.

AKK

Skipper' date='

I agree completely with your three posts.

But, in effort to tone down the rhetoric, as the "other" posters chief critic, I will ignore any and all of her posts in the best interests of the thread.

John[/b']

Edited by Uniall

Skipper,

I agree completely with your three posts.

But, in effort to tone down the rhetoric, as the "other" posters chief critic, I will ignore any and all of her posts in the best interests of the thread.

John

Good Day John,

I totally agree, seems the person prime interest is just to bait people.

I admit I got baited myself!. I apologize if any of my Brit friends here was hurt by my comment.

AKK

Back to the news department -- reports coming out of Italy today estimate the completion of the salvage work to be around the end of Spring 2013.

http://www.asca.it/news-Costa_Concordia__Prot__Civile__riunito_oggi_osservatorio_monitoraggio-1187002-ATT.html

I'll try not to feed the troll as well. ;)

Back to the news department -- reports coming out of Italy today estimate the completion of the salvage work to be around the end of Spring 2013.

http://www.asca.it/news-Costa_Concordia__Prot__Civile__riunito_oggi_osservatorio_monitoraggio-1187002-ATT.html

I'll try not to feed the troll as well. ;)

That is one absolute in salvage and recovery....................everything, including schedules will change!

AKK

Hi and Welcome

Yes, thats the Micopiri 30 which I think is one of the largest barges of its type in the world. You can google it for its specifications but it does have accomodation for 200.

Clive

If you think the Micoperi 30 is large, it pales in comparison to a formerly owned crane barge built by Micoperi which was called the Micoperi 7000, and is now called the Saipem 7000 by the Saipem S.p.A. company that bought it. It's capable of lifting 14,200 tons with the two cranes combined, with crew accommodation for 800, including a hospital, cinema and lounges. I wonder if they plan to bring this barge in for use later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saipem_7000

Edited by Ken711

Good Day John' date='

I totally agree, seems the person prime interest is just to bait people.

I admit I got baited myself!. I apologize if any of my Brit friends here was hurt by my comment.

AKK[/quote']

Tonka ... I was ready with a few reposts to your earlier comment but it is a case of those who are without sin should cast the first stone and neither the USA or others can claim to be without sin!

There's an old Irish adage which I learned at my sainted mother's knee:

"For your friends, no apology is necessary. For your enemies, no apology is good enough"

John :D

The Giglio webcam is showing, in addition to Micoperi 30, another large crane equipped barge on site. This one is not nearly as large, but it is still bigger than the ones we have had on site. The activity level is ramping up a whole lot right now. I sure wish we had a view of the seaward side of the hulk, but I guess we must settle for what we have.