Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Hi Doc

Could the other one be the barge that has been doing all the "Rock " work on the hidden port side and is maybe repositioning. Quite often I have noticed the crane above the wreck and still photos do show a similar barge.

The crane on Micoperi nearest the ship does move so some work is going on but isnt Micperi constructing the underwater platform?

Clive

The news in this link we already know. What is the picture trying to tell us. :confused:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/italy-capsized-ship-won-t-be-moved-till-spring_793527.html

Not sure what the photo means but FWIW here's my take on the article:

I believe the news came off of the AP wire yesterday and now most papers have the same story. To dig deeper, my theory is that the release is meant as an announcement that come the next tourist season, Giglio will be rid of the "eyesore". *Message to tourists: You can now book your 2013 vacation with no disruption from day trippers and gawkers.*

Although the exact date can not be known in advance, it is probably a safe bet to say that by late Spring the salvage will be complete. Apparently the mayor and townspeople are not happy with this year's June and July bookings and even though the August bookings have been higher it has not been enough to offset the lower June and July bookings and overall this season is still down in comparison with last season.

There have also been some political undertones reported between the salvage companies and local authorities. Don't know exactly what this is all about. Stay tuned...

Edited by cruiserfanfromct

Hi Micki

How disappointing, I will email them again and see if we cant get it put back (even further round if possible) will let you know.

CT

Sure you are right. Thru the terrible translation from the Italian it seems that there is a lot of political carrying on's, partly fuelled by those who prefer the "foam " method. I'm willing to bet that TM will want to be out of there with their cheque asap.

Clive

Hi Micki

How disappointing, I will email them again and see if we cant get it put back (even further round if possible) will let you know.

CT

Sure you are right. Thru the terrible translation from the Italian it seems that there is a lot of political carrying on's, partly fuelled by those who prefer the "foam " method. I'm willing to bet that TM will want to be out of there with their cheque asap.

Clive

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the interesting thread you started on the salvage effort.

I did preface my post with "FWIW", "It is my theory", etc. I don't think anyone can be 100% correct on anything that is going on over there. My "guess" was a hunch on the reasoning behind the announcement, which was also published in English through the AP wire.

Not sure what the photo means but FWIW here's my take on the article:

I believe the news came off of the AP wire yesterday and now most papers have the same story. To dig deeper, my theory is that the release is meant as an announcement that come the next tourist season, Giglio will be rid of the "eyesore". *Message to tourists: You can now book your 2013 vacation with no disruption from day trippers and gawkers.*

Although the exact date can not be known in advance, it is probably a safe bet to say that by late Spring the salvage will be complete. Apparently the mayor and townspeople are not happy with this year's June and July bookings and even though the August bookings have been higher it has not been enough to offset the lower June and July bookings and overall this season is still down in comparison with last season.

There have also been some political undertones reported between the salvage companies and local authorities. Don't know exactly what this is all about. Stay tuned...

CT, yeah, I knew other media would pick up the story and run with it. It was the picture that had me post the link. We get so few close up pictures as to what is going on. Figured this would give us something new to focus on. ;)

As to the politics involved, I'll leave that to Italy to sort out. I have enough trouble sorting through all our political garbage to get involved with their stuff even if it plays a part in the removal. :rolleyes: :D;)

Hi Micki

Suddenly dark clouds appeared and I knew I had cocked up.

I will try not to do it again.lol

I have written to giglio news and await their reply, they can only say no

Clive

I thought you made a wrong turn. :D

We can only hope they will change the view. Thanks for your efforts on this.

Wondering if any of the Kindle books re the Concordia out there are worth reading and if anyone here has read and would recommend any.

From the ones I've seen on Amazon, I'm most interested in the e-version written by the two reporters who were on board the ship that night -- apparently this one gets updated as new information comes out and can be downloaded with each new update.

Anyone reading this? If so, is it worthwhile or not? Being that it is only $3.09 even if it's a terrible read, not much to throw away. Thoughts, anyone?

http://www.amazon.com/Concordiagate-tragedy-reporters-Futurebook-ebook/dp/B0079K1PYO/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1344957041&sr=1-3&keywords=costa+concordia

Not sure if this has been posted previously, but here's a video from Lloyd's List regarding cruise vessel traffic in and around Giglio, along with salvage commentary.

http://www.lloydslist.com/ll/topic/costa-concordia/?gclid=CPHDpcnH5q0CFQuDfAodLyc-9Q

Exclusive Lloyd’s List Intelligence data has revealed that the Costa Concordia was the only cruise vessel to travel near the Island of Giglio. The incident may also lead to further legislation being brought in by the US. Adam Smallman speaks to David Osler and Daryl Williamson to find out more.

Not sure if this has been posted previously, but here's a video from Lloyd's List regarding cruise vessel traffic in and around Giglio, along with salvage commentary.

http://www.lloydslist.com/ll/topic/costa-concordia/?gclid=CPHDpcnH5q0CFQuDfAodLyc-9Q

I don't recall seeing this before.

What's interesting:

They confirm that Concordia was close to shore in August, tho I believe that was a different part of the island than where she struck the rock in Jan.

It would also show that Costa was not telling the truth about the distance in Aug.

According to the one video, IF Lloyd's is accurate in what they are saying, the maps on board in Jan will play a big part in the investigation.

Lloyd's does state that they don't guarantee that what they show is 100% accurate. Again, it will go back to facts from official investigation.

CT ... An interesting video with regard to the interview on CNN thanks for posting, as i have said before not everything about this accident is Black and White as some would like to believe.

Going way back i made a post where i said that the Captain of the Concordia last August got lucky whereas Schettino didn`t and it appears that others believe that to be true also.

According to the presentation given by the Italian Maritime Investigative Body on Marine Accidents in London on 18th May, the quote above is incorrect. Captain Schettino took the con well before the severity of the situation was understood. He took the con before the situation had developed.

From that presentation:

At 2137, Captain Schettino had the con. The presentation doesn't state at which time Captain Schettion took the con, but it does state that at 2137 he did have the con. At this stage it doesn't matter if he physically has the helm; he is responsible for the ship's course and will issue order to the ship's helmsman.

At 2145 the collision took place. By this time Captain Schettino had the con for at least 7 to 8 minutes before the collision; that is plenty of time to realise he is on a collision course (by looking at the electronic navigation chart) and make an avoiding turn.

VP

The black box recording that was released in July reveals Schettino announced "I take the con" at 21:39:14 and ordered "timone a mano". Autopilot was disabled a second later.

Article in ITAL here.

There is also a video w/captions of the audio, but I cannot find it at the moment.

pop_concordia-mappa.shtml

Edited by stella_mare

CT ... An interesting video with regard to the interview on CNN thanks for posting, as i have said before not everything about this accident is Black and White as some would like to believe.

Going way back i made a post where i said that the Captain of the Concordia last August got lucky whereas Schettino didn`t and it appears that others believe that to be true also.

I wanted to go back to CT's link but this time my puter said no way. Closed down the link to "protect my computer" was the message.

Without double checking what I wanted to comment on, I can't respond to your post in the way I wanted to.

I will say that more plays into this than just maps; skill, speed, knowing exactly where your ship is are just some of the other things to be added in.

Then there is that little matter <sarcasm> of delaying the abandon ship order, among a few other issues I have with him.

Since cabin modules are prefabricated and then added onto the ship after construction, the cabins on the undamaged side of the hull could be used again after being cleaned up and repaired.

Like the tenders/lifeboats that are sat on wasteground nearby, they may well end up on another ship and no-one would be any the wiser once they get repainted etc.

There is another ship on the construction blocks now, a Dream class for Costa...if the cabin modules and tender/lifeboats are in good order, no reason not to reuse them on the newbuild so long as they are structually satisfactory (and the boats get recertified for use).

Older ships that are broken don't generally have prefab cabins, so they get broken up with the rest of the ship whereas Concordia is a young ship with plenty of reusable parts.

The airline industry used to recycle parts...until the ghost stories from Eastern 401 surfaced and then the practice of using parts from crashed planes ended.

Provided that the cabin dimensions are the same between the Dream class and the Costa Concordia this in theory could work.

The other gotcha is the costs to remove them and then ship them to the shipyard building the new ship and then refurbish them. I imagine by next February the only thing salvageable will be the shell of the cabin

I dont' see how it would be cost effective to reuse any of the cabins from the Costa Concordia vs building brand new cabins for any ships currently under construction or planned to be constructed.

Provided that the cabin dimensions are the same between the Dream class and the Costa Concordia this in theory could work.

The other gotcha is the costs to remove them and then ship them to the shipyard building the new ship and then refurbish them. I imagine by next February the only thing salvageable will be the shell of the cabin

I dont' see how it would be cost effective to reuse any of the cabins from the Costa Concordia vs building brand new cabins for any ships currently under construction or planned to be constructed.

I don't see that as a likely option either, given the timing of the removal and the cost involved. They will be welding caissons for buoyancy onto both sides of the ships which will may also make them unusable as well.

Edited by Ken711