Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Domnica ... the Joker in the pack! .... it is the Media she should be taking on seeing as it is they who have made it impossible for her to get employment.

Looks like the $$$$ or Euro signs have got to her .... :eek:

Sid

Can't you just hear a CEO's wife saying: "if you hire that woman, I'm going to take you for everything in the divorce." LOL

Domnica ... the Joker in the pack! .... it is the Media she should be taking on seeing as it is they who have made it impossible for her to get employment.

Looks like the $$$$ or Euro signs have got to her .... :eek:

Good grief ... Miss Moldovia has been the one granting interviews to the press ... and now she's Lil' Miss Innocent? GMAFB!

UK's Daily Mail is reporting Ms. Cemortan seeks six figure compensation. Claims she is not accepting Costa's offer and she is filing suit for a sum greater than $100K.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2189309/Blonde-tour-rep-suspected-distracting-Costa-Concordia-captain-disaster-wants-figure-compensation.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

She should be grateful Costa isn't sending her a bill. :rolleyes: ;)

She also has her luggage back which is more than anyone else can say. ;)

She should be grateful Costa isn't sending her a bill. :rolleyes: ;)

She also has her luggage back which is more than anyone else can say. ;)

Imagine her surprise if instead of a check she gets a bill for $570 million. :eek:

Now she's hinting she may have had expensive jewelry -- NOT.

From what the divers retrieved it looks more like K-Mart than Tiffanys.

Imagine her surprise if instead of a check she gets a bill for $570 million. :eek:

Now she's hinting she may have had expensive jewelry -- NOT.

From what the divers retrieved it looks more like K-Mart than Tiffanys.

Tiffany's? As in "Breakfast at..." ;) She's another Holly Golightly.....:eek:

Come on guys, you're making it sound like it's more Domenica's fault than Shettino. At least she did'nt sit on a rock in a trance, watching people struggle for their lives. I can't blame her for just wanting to have some fun and she mistakenly probably thought Schettino knew what he was doing.

It seems the general consensus is that sail byes are pretty popular and they can be done safely. I assume that many or most passengers would prefer to get out of the shipping channel sometimes to get closer to interesting sights. I know I would but I hope the crew is professional and not playing Russian Roulette to see who can get closer at the fastest speed than any other captain.

If I'm correct that many people enjoy the sail byes, is this one less thing that we would hold against Costa if they were allowing their captains to make alterations to the route to make the cruise more memorable for the passengers and maybe publicity for the ship.

I would think a captain of a cruise ship should be qualified to make some decisions on his own to make safe sail byes. I know Costa is going to be financially responsible for this whole disaster, but other than the fact that they hired and trusted this cowardly cowboy to be commander of the ship what are any other possible charges do we think might be coming that would take responsibility off Schettino and put it on Costa?

How'd you like to go through the Fjord with Schettino before he got famous and hopefully ended his captain career? Did'nt he crash the Concordia into a dock before and put a hole in the front of it above waterline? I also thought that he had been warned about going to fast into a harbor. If this is true, does this still make him a good ship driver even though we all know he was anything but a good captain?

Edited by Max49

I know Costa is going to be financially responsible for this whole disaster, but other than the fact that they hired and trusted this cowardly cowboy to be commander of the ship what are any other possible charges do we think might be coming that would take responsibility off Schettino and put it on Costa?

No matter what other charges come down -- against Costa, or any others -- it is unlikely they will reduce the liability and responsibility of Schettino and his decisions that night. He was the captain of the ship. The several phone calls Schettino made to Costa raise questions about how much the company knew and when.... Did they know full well what was happening and not demand the ship be abandoned immediately? Did they, too, drag their feet? Still much to be learned as the investigation proceeds.

For that matter, I'm also wondering how it is that the harbor patrol and coastal authorities didn't take notice of this giant cruise ship in distress before a passenger called in?!

Edited by stella_mare

Stella I was just wondering about the people who say 'they are waiting for the evidence to come in before they have an opinion on Schettino. I have no idea what more evidence they need but I'm still on the fence about Costa.

Again IMO, they should have been able to trust Schettino and I believe he had them fooled, I'd imagine they thought Schettino should be capable to tell them if the ship was indeed in big trouble or if it was a minor scrape against the bottom. How could Costa make an assessment of magnitude of this if Capt Schettino or the rest of the crew did not tell them. I can just imagine the horror Costa officials must have felt when they found out Schettino not only rammed the ship into the rocks, a passenger call the CG, the crew lies and down plays it as a mere electrical problem, then their capt. cowardly falls into a lifeboat. If Schettino was in his trance and could'nt even speak to the CG himself, how well could he have related the seriousness of the ship right away to his bosses @ Costa while knowing he just wrecked his career as well as the ship and many lives very soon after.

I believe Costa immediately knew how bad Schettino screwed up from beginning to end and even deceiving them and the CG. That's why they so furious and embarassed by him that they immediately fired him without worrying that of course he'd try to drag them (Costa) under the bus with him. I think it was a well deserved and gutsy move by Costa for a capt that must be an embarassment for the entire cruse industry.

Edited by Max49

Yes, the depth is in metres. As for not being the best idea... it's the safest course available, and history/experience/formal risk assessment has shown it to be safe.

VP

I UNDERSTAND ALL YOUR SAYING, BUT i STILL FEEL JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DO THIS, DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD.

Just my feelings..........AKK

"Can't you just hear a CEO's wife saying: "if you hire that woman, I'm going to take you for everything in the divorce." LOL "

Uni .. If the above was the case then maybe they should not be married anyway! .... :D

"How'd you like to go through the Fjord with Schettino before he got famous and hopefully ended his captain career? "

Max ... For all you know Schettino may have been in and out of the Norwegian Fjords ?

Until and if the details of the phone calls made by Schettino to Costa become available we will never know who he spoke to or what they were talking about, and yes i have read the Media reports about who, where and when.

I UNDERSTAND ALL YOUR SAYING, BUT i STILL FEEL JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DO THIS, DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD.

Just my feelings..........AKK

The alternative would be to close many ports in Norway which obviously can't happen. And so over the centuries, professional mariners have established methods and procedures to safely navigate waters such as these.

AKK, if you ever get the opportunity to take a cruise to the Norwegian fjords, please do so...!

VP

It is interesting to see what info is "leaked"/released to the media vs. what is not. Particularly regarding the testimonies, calls, etc. I agree, it's a very partial picture, but you at least get an idea of the job ahead in getting to the truth of the matter.

Sidari, a transcript and recording/timestamp of Schettino's calls to Costa have, in part, been released - so we understand and idea of what they discussed. But you are right, we'll likely never know how, exactly, Ferrarini responded on the other end of the phone.

I continue to disagree that navigating a fjord is the same thing as a sail by. It's already been pointed out:

1. While the land may be close in a fjord, the water is deep.

2. I've personally witnessed a Captain's refusal to navigate or turn around in a fjord in the dark.

3. The rate of speed is greatly reduced.

But, I think there is a better model with which to make a comparison. Since the Concordia's sail by was done at night at a high rate of speed and neared the opening to Giglio's harbor, it brings to mind cruise ships approaching a harbor at night a slow rate of speed and standing several miles offshore until daylight when a local pilot (who knows the local water) boards the ship to enter the harbor at a slow rate of speed.

John

The alternative would be to close many ports in Norway which obviously can't happen. And so over the centuries, professional mariners have established methods and procedures to safely navigate waters such as these.

AKK, if you ever get the opportunity to take a cruise to the Norwegian fjords, please do so...!

VP

The same thing around the around, but that is something that needs to be done, not putting a massive vessel in harms way for sightseeing.

AKK

I would guess that maybe just a supply/crew boat for the barge. Due to the sizes needed the underwater sections would be to big for that little boat.

AKK

I agree probably a supply ship. Seems too early for the underwater platform yet. Once they finish with the stabilization on the starboard side, I expect they'll start drilling for the footings and pilings on the port side to support the underwater platform.

"How'd you like to go through the Fjord with Schettino before he got famous and hopefully ended his captain career? "

Max ... For all you know Schettino may have been in and out of the Norwegian Fjords ?

Well if he has, and if I were on that boat I'd feel luck was with us if he did'nt bounce off the rocks.

Until and if the details of the phone calls made by Schettino to Costa become available we will never know who he spoke to or what they were talking about, and yes i have read the Media reports about who, where and when.

You're waiting for the details of the phone call to Costa? What do you possibly think Costa said to absolve Schettino? "Oh, you put a 200' hole in the ship, just keep goin, and if you have no engines maybe the wind will blow you back in, lie to the CG tell em it's merely electrical problem. If the ship does capsize let the passengers fend for them selves and get on a life boat, tell everybody you slipped and fell in. Don't try to help when you get to shore just sit on the rocks and watch. That's an order Schettino!"

Sidari, please tell me what possible evidence could possibly come in that would enable you to tell us, "See, I told you guys it wasn't Schettino's fault."

Max ... Just because you Americans want to play Hanging judge and Sheriff do not expect the rest of the world to just accept that you think you are always right! and appear to live in the wonderful world of Black and White where no Grey areas exist.

You will be one of those who will dissapear from sight should Schettino be found not guilty for whatever reason and not be Big enough to accept you were wrong and put it in writing on this thread should it still be running then.

I will however unlike some on CC stand my ground and wait until All the evidence has been taken apart and a decision made and if i am wrong at least i am prepared to say that i was wrong!

SB ... interesting story, thanks for the link.

Edited by sidari

Max ... Just because you Americans want to play Hanging judge and Sheriff do not expect the rest of the world to just accept that you think you are always right! and appear to live in the wonderful world of Black and White where no Grey areas exist.

You will be one of those who will dissapear from sight should Schettino be found not guilty for whatever reason and not be Big enough to accept you were wrong and put it in writing on this thread should it still be running then.

I will however unlike some on CC stand my ground and wait until All the evidence has been taken apart and a decision made and if i am wrong at least i am prepared to say that i was wrong!

That was uncalled for Sid. All Americans are not like me and I would not be surprised at all if Schet gets off this. I will be here and I'll give you credit for predicting he'll get a pass from the Italian courts because they may be just like you.

I guess you can't even imagine what evidence could come in to point to Schettinos innocence so I guess you figure they'll say there just is'nt enoough evidence to convict him of a crime.

Maybe you think it's Domenica's fault.

Since it has not been proven in court yet, do you even believe that the Concordia hit those rocks or do you think possibly the rocks hit the Concordia? Could that be one of your gray area you're talking about?