Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

If I understand the last progress report rightly we will see more caissons this coming Thursday and Friday. Interestingly not the immediate neighbour to those already attached, but next one is P3, much further to the front.

MV Lone now in Genoa.

The trial is due to start today but there is an "eight day lawyers strike" going on that could delay it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10167899/Trial-of-Costa-Concordia-captain-Francesco-Schettino-to-begin.html

Shame on my colleagues who would "go on strike" in the mistaken and error filled decision to convert a profession into a job. It's another sad commentary of the worldwide demise of professions (For The Public Good) in many fields of endeavor (law, education, medicine, clergy, etc)

This is the new headline:

After 18 months, captain of the doomed cruise ship Concordia is finally set to face trial… only for Italian lawyer strike to cause yet more delays

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2358727/Costa-Concordia-captain-Francesco-Schettino-finally-face-trial-18-months.html#ixzz2YYUoLXtR

The only surprise in the article is that Schettino went in through the back door and did not speak to reporters. :rolleyes:

Shame on my colleagues who would "go on strike" in the mistaken and error filled decision to convert a profession into a job. It's another sad commentary of the worldwide demise of professions (For The Public Good) in many fields of endeavor (law, education, medicine, clergy, etc)

Everybody strikes in Italy. It's a national pastime!:D:D

Joyceg

From Giglio news:

And so the month of September will be the decisive one to know the fate of the project. By the end of that month, in fact, the ship will be rotated and put back into the vertical position. Only then can they be evaluated also the actual condition of the part now submerged caissons applied missing and brought into its final destination by April 2014. Piombino, to date, remains the most favored port. The Region of Tuscany, in fact, requested and was granted by the Government of € 111 million for its adaptation, in addition to the allocation of more than 50 million of the Region. And just today the Tuscan Government has given the green light to the new master plan of the city, a process started in 2008 and which will also make the necessary adjustments to accommodate the Concordia.

Havent seen this weeks progress report (that's a hint for a link please) but didn't they install some more caissons this last weekend? I also notice that P3 is not butted up to the others so would that make it easier to fit as and when they like?

The sums of money involved are truly staggering. Hard to believe that it costs 111million euros to build a salvage dock, but then again this is Italy.

Havent seen this weeks progress report (that's a hint for a link please) but didn't they install some more caissons this last weekend? I also notice that P3 is not butted up to the others so would that make it easier to fit as and when they like?

The sums of money involved are truly staggering. Hard to believe that it costs 111million euros to build a salvage dock, but then again this is Italy.

schema_avanzamento070713.jpg

Weekly Report link:

http://www.giglionews.it/images/stories/allegati/rel_sett_osservatorio070713.pdf

Thanks for that Ken. Not unusually I am confused.

Your diagram shows a line of 11 anchor blocks 2 of which are not yet installed. Whereas the Parbuckling Project diagram shows only 10 in the line and all completed.

As I understand it as well as being the anchor blocks are these not where the strand jacks are located.

I've looked at Piombino, and it is mainly a steel port, so this may be why they decided to send the Concordia there, to recycle the steel in the mills. However, there is no drydock there, and I'm not sure where they would beach her (as most ship breaking operations do) and "cut and drag". Setting up just the disposal facilities for all of the soft items, wood work, etc would cost a lot. Then you have to get the cranes in there, and the metal sorting, and the hazmat handling, and your 100 million euros won't go too far. And they will need to keep everything out of the water, since this is not Bangladeshi ship breaking.

I've looked at Piombino, and it is mainly a steel port, so this may be why they decided to send the Concordia there, to recycle the steel in the mills. However, there is no drydock there, and I'm not sure where they would beach her (as most ship breaking operations do) and "cut and drag". Setting up just the disposal facilities for all of the soft items, wood work, etc would cost a lot. Then you have to get the cranes in there, and the metal sorting, and the hazmat handling, and your 100 million euros won't go too far. And they will need to keep everything out of the water, since this is not Bangladeshi ship breaking.

I recently saw a special offer on ebay for a salvage dock for the bargain price of just 2 mio US$. tbh I think that was a fake, or a used one, rusty and with holes, just too good to be true.

Silly joking apart, I think chengkp75 is quite right.

The parbuckling website is in my experience a bit behind with reporting, the best source I know of, are indeed the weekly progress reports.

May sound dumb, but does anyone know how to translate the weekly report into English? I'm good with ships, computers not so much:p

Download or open a given report, copy a portion of the text. Go to http://translate.google.com. Paste text, and enjoy the quite obvious limitations of machine translation. Thankfully we humans have something with which we can beat computers easily, our bio-CPUs.

You may need to tell the system which source language this is, and obviously, if you want the target in Haitian Creole, Swedish or, should these not be your exact strong points, English.

May sound dumb, but does anyone know how to translate the weekly report into English? I'm good with ships, computers not so much:p

Download or open a given report, copy a portion of the text. Go to http://translate.google.com. Paste text, and enjoy the quite obvious limitations of machine translation. Thankfully we humans have something with which we can beat computers easily, our bio-CPUs.

You may need to tell the system which source language this is, and obviously, if you want the target in Haitian Creole, Swedish or, should these not be your exact strong points, English.

All of that is why I just look at the pictures. :D

I also wait for the parbuckling site to update. Yes it is a long wait but it works for me.

It's a good day, I learned something. I thought it might be something like that. And another question; does the machine translate to DownEast Maine?

It's a good day, I learned something. I thought it might be something like that. And another question; does the machine translate to DownEast Maine?

Sorry, I have the same problems with Scottish

Sorry, I have the same problems with Scottish

At the risk of being called animal names :D

Scottish or DownEast Maine are accents, not languages. Which is the reason why Google can translate Welsh (For US readers, that's a country here in the UK).

/Off now to find some cranachan for my dessert....

"It's another sad commentary of the worldwide demise of professions (For The Public Good) in many fields of endeavor (law, education, medicine, clergy, etc)"

Uni ... All in the name of saving money! with many people being kicked from pillar to post it is little wonder that people now say their job is, rather than my profession is ..... :(

Scottish or DownEast Maine are accents, not languages. Which is the reason why Google can translate Welsh (For US readers, that's a country here in the UK).

Since we're getting picky, I thought (in my limited US education;)) that WALES was a country in the UK, and that Welsh were the people and language. :rolleyes: And Maine is a dialect not an accent, we don't have an accent here in Maine.:cool:

I'll leave you to your cranachan, I'm having Moxie and Whoopie Pies tonight!

I also thought Scotland was a country in the Uk. It doesn't do Gaelic either.

Thanks for that Ken. Not unusually I am confused.

Your diagram shows a line of 11 anchor blocks 2 of which are not yet installed. Whereas the Parbuckling Project diagram shows only 10 in the line and all completed.

As I understand it as well as being the anchor blocks are these not where the strand jacks are located.

The notation says that the two dark green locations have the anchor blocks installed, but the towers for the strand jacks have not been installed yet. As I understand it, the cables/chains used at the anchor blocks will not be used during the parbuckling, except as safeties. The strand jacks are raised on towers to give the maximum length of cabling possible to rotate the ship. The further the strand jack starts out away from the point where the cable attaches to the hull, the more cable can be pulled.