Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Looking at beam (width) of other Costa Cruise ships, they are around 100 feet. Looking at the pictures of Costa Concordia, it is almost laying on its side, so the bottom of the ship would be around 50 feet. I would imagine the platforms would need to be installed below that point. So I think we are good there in regards to the salvage barge as it only draws 20 feet.

However, looking at the pictures there seems to be some support structures one the platforms that the ship may be rested on while the saisons are welded on.

We know from the weekly progress reports that platform 1 is three main pillars wide, the last progress report said that drilling for platform 2 still has to be done (not 'is under way').

I think the recent pictures show two platforms, not two parts of one platform. Did they bring two platforms to site and then took one back? Doesn't sound very plausible.

One other thought has crossed my mind: If they install the platforms first, before the caissons, how will they lift the caissons over the entire width of the platform onto the Concordia? Can Micoperi-30 go/float over the installed platforms? Its max draft is 5.15 m, is there that much clearance over the installed platforms?

Its revolving (mainly yellow) crane can lift 204 t @ 18 m outreach. That doesn't seem to be enough to reach over the width of the installed platforms?

That time-lapse "video" gave a really good insight. After they separated the two platform parts, they took the remaining platform for a tour around the bay before they eventually took it away.

I wonder what they did there with the crane on Micoperi 30 in the dark hours.

Looking at beam (width) of other Costa Cruise ships, they are around 100 feet. Looking at the pictures of Costa Concordia, it is almost laying on its side, so the bottom of the ship would be around 50 feet. I would imagine the platforms would need to be installed below that point. So I think we are good there in regards to the salvage barge as it only draws 20 feet.

However, looking at the pictures there seems to be some support structures one the platforms that the ship may be rested on while the caissons are welded on.

That brings us "armchair salvage engineers" ;) a bit closer: CC has a beam (width) of 35 metres (116 ft) and a draught of 8.20 metres (26 ft). The platform surface needs to be deep enough that CC can eventually 'roll' onto these. If the main drawings on http://www.theparbucklingproject.com are any good, there may well be enough clearance.

Edited by Mike.Minh

Taken from the Mailonline.

SHE LIQUIDATED THE COUNTRY AND DESTROYED THE MIDDLE CLASS

- John Cleary, CHICAGO, United States, 8/4/2013 17:56

The only ones she put to work were school leavers (YTS). She actually tolerated high unemployment as a price worth paying for her other policies and she got people moved from unemployment onto incapacity/disability benefits to massage the unemployment figures.SilverLady, SilverCity, 8/4/2013 22:13

Enough said.

Her policies destroyed many communities, we're still feeling the impact of her today. We have no industry to fall back on because of this sick woman. Many people also died because of her policies, suicide rates were higher than ever under her.

- Theoneoranro, Manchester, 8/4/2013 21:53

I see from another thread started here that Costa has been fined and accepted a 1.3 million dollar judgment against them.

Does anyone recall when the trial against the Captain and others named with him is suppose to start? It seems like I remember a date sometime this month.

Wow. That seems like a very low number. I guess Italian authorities didn't find that the ship's navigation equipment to be a source of the mishap as CS constantly maintained.....just the officers.

quote from the article:

"The settlement means Costa will not face a criminal trial and ends its potential liability with the state of Italy, but not private lawsuits brought by passengers or crew, the prosecution sources said."

I haven't heard of a trial date being set. Will they be tried together or separately?

I see from another thread started here that Costa has been fined and accepted a 1.3 million dollar judgment against them.

Does anyone recall when the trial against the Captain and others named with him is suppose to start? It seems like I remember a date sometime this month.

Wow. That seems like a very low number. I guess Italian authorities didn't find that the ship's navigation equipment to be a source of the mishap as CS constantly maintained.....just the officers.

quote from the article:

"The settlement means Costa will not face a criminal trial and ends its potential liability with the state of Italy, but not private lawsuits brought by passengers or crew, the prosecution sources said."

I haven't heard of a trial date being set. Will they be tried together or separately?

I'd like to see the exact translation from Italian legalese to English legalese. My best educated guess is the 1.5 million is only criminal fines for violtion of criminal law and quasi criminal regulations. I'd think that Costa can still be sued for civil damages to the isle and town.

This link contains a little more info about the fine.

Also mentions that the Captain and his cohorts will learn Monday if the court has determined whether they will stand trial for manslaughter along with other charges.

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-costa-concordia-fine-20130410,0,2757099.story

Very interesting !!! Thanks for the link.

Sounds like it is going to be more difficult for the lawyers to go for the "deep pockets" in this case.

GROSSETO-it has been postponed to Wednesday, the preliminary hearing for Concordia. The postponement is motivated by the fact of giving defendants lawyers time to study the demands of the Constitution advanced by survivors, civil associations, and institutions from the same coast. Grosseto has already arrived Commander Sadon which came to modern theatre was transformed for the occasion in the Chamber of Justice. In recent days, the Commander of the Concordia had said that he intended to tell his truth. Sadomba presented by car when they were already arrived the magistrates of the public prosecutor of Grosseto. The hearing was chaired by Peter gup Molino. Here the pm of the Prosecutor and the lawyers of the parties.

A group of 100 survivors assisted by a pool of firms that is called "justice for the Concordia" asked to sequester a ship shipping company as collateral for possible future risargimento, the lawyer explained Massimiliano Gabrielli. The same legal pool calls for 500 thousand euros for each survivor.

"It is inconceivable that the coast constitutes civil party-says Francesco Pepeinstead, Sadon's lawyer-assisted my trusted corporate organization and had an accident at work." With respect to compensation said: "How do you compensate? Only the House, then it has no more money, is a laborer and has no other assets with which to pay ". Then resumes: "we tried that Sadomba had given instructions to keep the ship at a distance of one kilometre from the cliff, there was a mistake of the helmsman, who left the ship" and other circumstances. For months this affair "was handled so terrible," said the lawyer, Pepper doing appear as "one crazed Sadomba who led the boat against the rocks." "Schettino trusted too much of the coast and this was a mistake, now things are emerging more clearly".

Among the survivors in Grosseto the fashion journalist Mara Paing explains: "I brought this case because double the slowness of Italian justice is hallucinating. I believe that in the United States for my compensation will be shorter, "he explained. Paing turned American lawyer John Arthur Heaves, which assists victims of shipwreck 150: "the fault is not only of Sadomba, Costa and Carnival (shipping companies) must give an account of what happened: the bows were usually made".

Meanwhile, someone comes forward that defends professionalism of Sadomba Commander: "the captain has done everything possible to prevent a tragedy like the Titanic. Unlike the ship Concordia would have sunk ", said William Bill Gossard, consultant of the National Transportation Safety Board of the United States, speaking at X Icosit Conference underway in Montesarchio (Benevento). "Pretty-adds the expert-you should ask those who are really the responsibility of what happened. The sinking of the Concordia is the result of a lack of clear and stringent rules. Rather than pick on Sadoon, would identify the responsibilities of those who, in fact, consented to the practice of bowing ".

The American expert has bet the index towards those who, in his opinion, "in fact, has allowed the spread of the practice of bow".

The Company Costa Spa has already been sentenced in plea bargain to pay one million euros of penalty. The modern theatre was also the lawyer Salvatore Catalano, who said his assisted Ciro Ambrosio Deputy Commander at the moment of impact with the rock, "is still in shock over a year by the sinking". Ambrosio is not in Grosseto.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=it&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Ffirenze.repubblica.it%2Fcronaca%2F2013%2F04%2F15%2Fnews%2Fnaufragio_concordia_all_udienza_arriva_il_comandante_schettino-56659724%2F

This is the latest from LaRepubblica.