Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I am not sure if the project is dependent on M/V Svenja alone to mount the caissons. For starters the same company operates another identical sister ship to M/V Svenja by the name of M/V Lone.

They also have four further heavy lifting ships, each almost as powerful. I don't have the individual weight of the caissons at hand (combined weight is 11,500 tons), but it might well be that one of the slightly smaller ships can equally well do the job.

Their full list has 16 (sixteen!) heavy lifting ships and can be seen here SAL_Heavy_Lift_Fleetlist_2013.pdf

SAL is also for sure not the only heavy lifting company in existence.

On balance, just because M/V Svenja is in Missouri (presumably on a job), doesn't meant anything really for the timing of this salvage project.

Wouldn't you all agree?

You mean the M/V Svenja is the New Orleans area near the Mississippi River. But, yes I agree they may well have already scheduled another heavy lift ship to position the underwater platforms as well as the sponsons.

You mean the M/V Svenja is the New Orleans area near the Mississippi River.

Ooops, well, do you mean it's too difficult to bring any big ship to Missouri? But, once in a hole, stop digging. I better shut up on this one now. :)

Edited by Mike.Minh

A Quadcopter's (Drone's) View Of The Concordia Shipwreck

This video shows a pair of quadcopters equipped with cameras that film the

wreck up close -- extremely close. I'm not sure at what stage of the recovery this was taken -- some of you who are more familiar with the salvage operation could perhaps comment.

Not sure who Team Blackship (author of video) is nor the strange choice of music.

Here it is FWIW:

Judge orders Schettino to stand trial to be held July 9. He's the only defendant -- prosecutor seeking 20 years.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/381631/28/Costa-Concordia-captain-ordered-to-stand-trial-

Now the world will have a chance to hear the truth according to facts obtained and Schettino's truth and see how they match up.

Found this in another article.

Schettino's defense team tried to convince Judge Paolo Molino to drop the charge of abandonment of ship, one of the worst and most embarrassing offenses for a captain. But Molino ruled there was enough evidence to suggest the captain left the cruise liner voluntarily hours before the last passenger was rescued, rather than falling off the ship accidentally as he initially claimed.

There are about 100 heavy lift vessel able to lift and stow the caissons' date=' of which I would guess about 20 to 30 heavy lift vessels in service around the world able to hold position and mount the caissons. to the Concordia.

AKK[/quote']

Then it would seem the Titan/Micoperi operation has a good number of options when scheduling a heavy lift ship.

This video shows a pair of quadcopters equipped with cameras that film the

wreck up close -- extremely close. I'm not sure at what stage of the recovery this was taken -- some of you who are more familiar with the salvage operation could perhaps comment.

Not sure who Team Blackship (author of video) is nor the strange choice of music.

Here it is FWIW:

Can't remember exactly how long ago they removed more of the funnel but that's been more than a couple of months. Judging from some other work progress I might take it back to last fall.

Still it was an interesting video to watch if you mute that distracting music.

Edited by SomeBeach

Now the world will have a chance to hear the truth according to facts obtained and Schettino's truth and see how they match up.

Found this in another article.

Schettino's defense team tried to convince Judge Paolo Molino to drop the charge of abandonment of ship, one of the worst and most embarrassing offenses for a captain. But Molino ruled there was enough evidence to suggest the captain left the cruise liner voluntarily hours before the last passenger was rescued, rather than falling off the ship accidentally as he initially claimed.

What's even more embarrassing IMO is the arrogance with which he keeps reiterating to this day that because of his "skillful manuvers" he saved the lives of 4,000 people.

He should just man up and say he screwed up and apologize to the families of the 32 victims whose lives he took, so they can at long last have some sense of closure. 20 years for 32 people? Is it me or does this come up a tad short?

I have no inclination to repeat at length, what I've posted in the past. Suffice to say, 10-20 years is in the maximum range in western jurisprudence for reckless or negligent homicide cases. The punishment range rises with the next levels of homicide which require specific "intent" resulting in manslaughter or murder.

Uni .... How was the cruise? i hope it was not too cold for you ... :)

What is the chance in your opinion that between now and July 9th that Schettinos lawyer could submit a Diminished Responsibility plea ?

Uni .... How was the cruise? i hope it was not too cold for you ... :)

What is the chance in your opinion that between now and July 9th that Schettinos lawyer could submit a Diminished Responsibility plea ?

Hey Sid

Yesterday, I almost posted an invite for you to meet me for a pint during our 20 hour Hethrow layover but it was a "Murphy's Law Day" in travel and I had too much else to deal with.

Our 25 days of cruising were superb. I wangled an ugrade to the 3 bedroom 6500 sf Garden Villa for the 16 day Trans Atlantic and I cut two other couples in on the deal. The nine days on the Baltic was fine but since we'd done it before, it got a little wearysome. I don't ever want "to do" 2 days in St Petersburg again.

If I were Schittino's attorney, I'd have a diiminished capacity or even out right "phsyco" defense ready to go (It would be easy to find experts who'd testify that he's delusional with grandiose views of himself and can't percieve the reality of the dangers of his actions) But, I doubt Schittino would his lawyers to present such a defense.

Here it is FWIW:

You meant BlackSheep, not ship. These guys from Austria (the pilots) and Switzerland (the video editors) are here http://team-blacksheep.com and here https://www.facebook.com/teamblacksheep. They are showing off what their gadgets can do, which is quite impressive. Apparently they got a bit into trouble with the Carabinieri on Giglio. Comments on the YouTube site and on FB tell more. (Many of the comments are quite silly. Check them out yourself)

Hello All,

Been following this thread for some time with great interest, along with the whole C.C. salvage operation.

Just incase anyone isn't aware, Giglio News have re-aimed one of their other cameras onto C.C.. It's the one on the right-hand side of the row of 7 webcam options on their home page, located @ Hotel Saraceno. Unfortunately the definition is very poor, & it could do with being zoomed in a few times!...

SAL Svenja has now left New Orleans, but is heading for Rotterdam, so is therefore still out of the equation for now.

There has been some sort of incident on Micoperi 30 last night according to Giglio News, but my knowledge of the Italian language is zero!...

Regards, CTH.

Hi CTH

The new camera angle which they promised some time ago, is a bit disappointung I agree.Hopefully they will tweek it to give us a better picture. Possibly this camera is the one that wass on board the ferry.

Hopefully I have attached the translation to the incident you mentioned.

Accident last night inside the yard for the removal of Costa Concordia at Isola del Giglio. It was about 23:30 when a loud thud was perceived clearly by whom was the port of the island. To follow screams from excited Micoperi 30 platform have alarmed the machine of relief.

lavori_notturni221212.jpgThey were in being the usual night drilling operations when, due to ongoing investigation a load suspended from the pontoon crane M30 appears to have bumped its casing (the Guide) for drilling that emerged from the sea and then the Auger control cabin itself where there were some technicians of Fugro Seacore operations staff.

One British workers inside appears to have been mildly crushed from rolling, but being able to go out and get off from the cab with their legs.

Immediately, the man was immobilized by rescuers of arising at 118 with Coast Guard personnel and police. Transferred to Earth, the technician, whose conditions were not worrying, however, was taken over by air ambulance Pegaso 2 who immediately transferred to the Hospital "Le Scotte" in Siena for the appropriate diagnostic tests in order to rule out internal injury.

Comments [/url]

# 1 Attilio Regolo 5/24/2013 06:27While some people at that time already sleeping or watching TV, workers and technicians of the T/M continue to work and risk their skin to try to bring to fruition a very heavy task in Concordia at Lily.

Best Wishes

Clive

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the translation that you attached a couple of days ago.

I'm not sure whether the new camera has been tweeked/adjusted, or whether maybe the sun was @ a different angle & providing a slight improvement. Still looks poor quality to me!

The latest weekly report is available @ Giglio News with a couple of pics showing the legs for platform 2 being fitted @ night. There are 3 remaining holes to be drilled for the final platform.

Today I noticed Micoperi 30's fixed 'sheerleg' blue crane had it's main hook wires dropped down to sea level behind C.C. & as far as I can make out it's still in that position now, looking @ the night-time camera picture. However I can't see what it's holding /lifting. I also noticed a large floating platform a mile or so out to sea this afternoon. Did anyone see what was happening earlier today with reference to this? Just wondering if it infact dropped platform 2 or maybe the template for the final platform down to the seabed?

Regards, CTH