Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

The pontoon hasn't showed itself for some time. Could it be possible that it is hiding behind CC at the stern or could it be there are problems and its on its way to get a fix?

I believe I see the two caissons sticking up way in the distance behind CC on the parbuckle cam.

While I agree with Skipper about longing for the days of the SSB radio being the only link to the office (except for the screwy radio operators!), the advent of the ISM code requires an incident notification chain. This does not actually relieve the Master of his decision making responsibilities, and is to be made as soon as practical (depending on how busy the Master or his officer is with the safety of the vessel), it does take a lot of the burden off the Master, in that the DPA (designated person ashore) or QI (qualified individual) now has the responsibility of notifying the authorities and mobilizing the company's response. The exact Vessel Response Plan (VSP) is regulated by the flag state, and possibly by any countries the vessel trades to.

All true and required, but we both know Chief that after the office is on the line a lot more do this or do that happens!

Seems the investigators are looking into what transpired during the calls.

AKK

The pontoon still with its two sponsons have reappeared.

If Cheng is watching can he check whether they can be seen on vessel finder or the like please.

Hard to differentiate in the parbuckle cam, in the porto cam it appears to be just off camera, left. Nothing new shows on AIS from this morning, just different positions for tug Afon Cefni.

The tug, pontoon and sponsons kept sailing on to the right after my last report. There must be problems with the installation musnt there??

I noticed that too. It appears they are taking it in close to shore for the night.

As these are being installed on the heavily damaged side I expect we will see delays in installation.

I noticed that too. It appears they are taking it in close to shore for the night.

As these are being installed on the heavily damaged side I expect we will see delays in installation.

Depending on which ones these are (can't remember, and too lazy to look at the report), and where they are going, they may not have the starboard stabilizer out of the way yet, or there is still some debris below where these are to go, and the divers are still working down there. I noted that the wind for the next couple of days will continue in the 10-15knot range, so that should be okay for lifting, but on Sunday, its supposed to go to 24knots, so they are going to want to get those in the water before then.

For those who remember the lifeboat accident on Thomson Majesty a couple of years ago, the official Maltese report has been published.

https://mti.gov.mt/en/Document%20Repository/MSIU%20Documents/Investigations%202013/MV%20Thomson%20Majesty_Final%20Safety%20Investigation%20Report.pdf

Its nothing to do with CC but I thought our "Knowledgeable ones "might be interested

They are S11 & S12 so they are starboard side although I didn't think the starboard side stern was that badly damaged.

Been a busy day but the main event didn't happen. there's always tomorrow.

Looked back at the photos of the port side, and the stabilizer is around caisson #8 or 9. No, I don't think the stern was damaged that much, but they probably have some balcony debris and lifeboat davits and such that were either ground off while she sat on that side, or that they cut off to clear for the caissons, because the report continues to mention cleaning debris off the sea floor on the starboard side.

For those who remember the lifeboat accident on Thomson Majesty a couple of years ago, the official Maltese report has been published.

https://mti.gov.mt/en/Document%20Repository/MSIU%20Documents/Investigations%202013/MV%20Thomson%20Majesty_Final%20Safety%20Investigation%20Report.pdf

Its nothing to do with CC but I thought our "Knowledgeable ones "might be interested

Thanks for the link. Very similar to the reason that Allure and I think Conquest sailed without one boat late last year. Wire rope failure is an all too common failure at sea. Thompson's poor operational procedures led to more fatalities than necessary.

I hate to keep harping on how flag states like the US have much better regulations, and inspections than flags of convenience like Malta. US ships are required to "end for end" their lifeboat wires (so that the stress points are now on different sections of the wire) every 2.5 years, along with the 5 year renewal that SOLAS requires. This end for ending also allows for a close inspection of every inch of the wire while it is off the davit. The more frequent boat drills required by USCG (bi-weekly for passenger vessels, as against monthly for SOLAS) also allows for more frequent and more thorough greasing. I also noted that the weight test for the boat and falls is done at 110% load, while US boats are tested to 125%. During annual inspections by USCG and class surveyors for the ISM system approvals, wire rope certificates are checked, so I am very surprised that "no one knew" that the wires did not meet the minimum required breaking strength.

Most passenger ships have lifeboats that have "off load" release, which means the weight of the boat must be supported by the water before the hooks release the boat from the falls. This is considered a safer release for boats with large capacities like passenger ships, and is used by many countries for their cargo ships as well. US ships, and apparently the Majesty, use "on load" release, which means that wherever the boat is, the release handle will release the boat. This is considered to be a surer way to release the boat, but is also riskier, as you can drop the boat from a good height. This is why there are the safety pins mentioned on the Majesty boats.

Retrieving lifeboats and hoisting them back onboard is one of the most dangerous jobs we do onboard ships, as this instance shows, so best practices dictate that the minimum number of crew be in the boat while lowered or raised. Even the Malta authorities recognize this, and allow for lowering and raising without any crew onboard.

A very unfortunate accident, and one that could easily have been prevented.

Sorry for the rant.

Hi Cheng

Just found this video.

The part which shows the damaged starboard side starts about 5minutes 50 seconds.

Your opinion would be appreciated.

Clive

Happy to help. Send the link. :D I hate when senior moments like that happen to me.

Edited by chengkp75

Thanks Micki

I hadn't realised that the starboard stern had taken so much damage,

If you recall the from port side installation the numbered sponsons go in order so S13 (isn't it 15 for this side?) would not be at the very end where the damage isn't quite as bad. From the pix that Mike posted and the pix in the link I posted I think it shows that S13 was placed in an area of a lot of damage. It would follow that S11-12 will also be going in a heavily damaged area.

Edited by SomeBeach

It's late there, my friend. I couldn't find any video other than the time lapse of the parbuckle. I'll get with you again tomorrow. I'm usually on the web around 0500 EDT, or 1000 BDT.

How could a technician in the engine room know how far the ship was away from the rock ?

Small secret about the intensity of maneuvering in the Engine Control Room. Its about as intensive as watching paint dry. Usually there are at least 3 senior engineers in the ECR as well as the watch engineer. So, in between swapping sea stories, we tend to watch the security cameras. I don't know what this man's exact title is (translation probably has blurred his qualifications), but he probably could see the lights on shore on the monitors. If this had happened before, he probably also talked to the bridge officers after those "salutes", and from the GPS and ECDIS, the bridge officers would know whether or not he was running closer each time.

Good morning Cheng

Sorry about the error. Ok so click onto the Disney link. At the end of the parbuckle video you have a multi choice screen, click on the top left hand choice and at 5min 50 secs shows the starboard stern.

Actually I doubt it is any better than the stills Some Beach posted.

This morning was a stunning dawn on the port overview camera. The pontoon shows very clearly ,heading from right to left. Interestingly looking at the wake it had made it seems to have spent the night actually inside the port walls. just wish now I had checked the port camera, couldn't have been much room in there

This morning was a stunning dawn on the port overview camera. The pontoon shows very clearly ,heading from right to left. Interestingly looking at the wake it had made it seems to have spent the night actually inside the port walls. just wish now I had checked the port camera, couldn't have been much room in there

Morning Clive,

Yes, can see the pontoon with 2 caissons on board on the Porto Panoramic Cam at 7.28 UK time, hovering a little way out behind CC.

Is the pontoon finally going to be manoevred up next to CC for unloadingthis morning?

Think the tugboat Captain has enjoyed playing hide & seek with these 2 vast caissons for the last day or more!

CTH