Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

After the re-float, will all balconies be above the water line, or will there still be a couple under water?

Normal draft is 7.8 meters, proposed refloat draft is 18 meters, that puts the waterline somewhere a few feet below the promenade deck.

Again, what a load of c***. They want to remove all the water before attaching all the caissons? How's that gonna work? Right now, there are several decks of non-watertight windows and doors under water, and one big gash in the port bilge. In order to get the ship where the main deck is above water (and take all those doors and windows out of the leakage equation), they need to put the caissons in place and pretty much empty them. The project estimated that the buoyancy of all the caissons would result in an 18 meter draft, well deeper than normal. Plus, the gash in the bilge is now covered by the port side caissons (though some of the missing port caissons may be where the gash is), so that may be too late to address.

Once again, laymen who gave the go ahead for an engineering project, now want to regain control of the process, without any idea of what is going on. Throw in Italy and politics and it just keeps getting better and better. As I said before, I'm actually a bit surprised that it's taken this long for these kinds of problems to surface, but it may have been because no one could tell whether the parbuckle would work or not.

Sorry for this and the rant on the "News" thread, this has really got me worked up today.

Sorry, Chengkp, didn't mean to stress you out.

Coming up on 6:30 a.m. in Giglio. A sponson is being set on the ship. Not sure if this is the one they started on yesterday or not. :confused: Using the parbuckle cam, I can see a barge off in the distance with another one still on it.

It always makes me laugh when authorities get involved, they wanted CC moving last year but are prepared to cause inconvenience to the salvage crews who are working their backsides off to get the ship moved in order to make a point.

Moving CC is just as bad as trying to purchase a property in Italy which can sometimes take up to 10 years, you have to wonder why people bother at times.

Leave the salvage teams to do the job and the ship can then be moved, arguing over an Italian port that cannot take CC is ridiculous.

Cheng ... I recall reading quite some time back that Schettino was somewhere to the Aft of the ship on the Starboard side with the Hotel manager and other officers who it was said also were on the same lifeboat.

I also recall a youtube video of one of the officers in the water on the Starboard side who had to be rescued by a lifeboat, this guy had also either slipped or fallen off the Starboard side when the promenade was in the water at the Aft end.

Cheng ... I recall reading quite some time back that Schettino was somewhere to the Aft of the ship on the Starboard side with the Hotel manager and other officers who it was said also were on the same lifeboat.

I also recall a youtube video of one of the officers in the water on the Starboard side who had to be rescued by a lifeboat, this guy had also either slipped or fallen off the Starboard side when the promenade was in the water at the Aft end.

There could very well have been an "officer" (I tend to restrict my usage of the term more than most cruisers, as only the deck and engine officers are true officers, not staff supervisors, but I digress) on the promenade, as there will be deck officers assigned to the crews readying the boats.

There is no way that Schettino or the Hotel Manager should have been anywhere near the promenade, especially aft. Their emergency stations are on the bridge, and they should remain there until the signal to abandon ship is given. And by this I mean the "real" signal to abandon, which is not what the passengers think of abandoning. The familiar signal of seven short blasts followed by one long one is for "general emergency", and the crew should remain at their emergency stations until all the passengers have disembarked on the boats, at which time the signal to abandon ship (one prolonged blast) is sounded, and the crew can then leave their stations to go to the rafts. In "normal" emergency situations, this is a collapsing bag type of evacuation, where the crew folds down from upper areas, checking for all crew as they go. The bridge team should always be the last down, so if that butt hole was anywhere other than the bridge, where the best communications and status panels are located, it just reinforces my contempt for him.

Cheng ... Not sure what department the guy in the water was from, if my memory serves me well Schettino and the Hotel manager according to reports had gone to the Engine room to see the damage for themselves and what was happening down there. How Schettino came to be at the Aft of the ship from the engine room i have no idea although you will have a better idea of the layout than i would.

After a two-day stop at Isola del Giglio is back to work for the removal of the Costa Concordia. The monitoring Observatory, in yesterday's meeting, gave the green light to install the drop-side (sponson) S12 on the starboard side, just what, in recent days, had been blocked because in the absence of the necessary documentation to the Assembly. A license for the time being limited to just drop already present at Isola del Giglio.

The go-ahead for the implementation of all the others, however, said in the evening the Commissioner "will arrive within a few days, once the necessary documentation to demonstrate how the installation of sponsons on the starboard side does not prejudice any reclamation activities of inland waters".

All documents that inevitably will have to integrate the provisions "in the so-called phase WP7 (installation of caissons by boost starboard side of the wreck) and in the management of inland waters".

And so, while I'm shooting, the node to be resolved remains linked to the transport mode of the wreck. The Observatory has, in fact, asked again to representatives of Costa Crociere and Titan-Micoperi consortium of "knowing endangerment scenarios related to modes of transport both at the preventive treatment of residual water, in order to implement all possible measures to prevent and mitigate risks, and ensure maximum security of the environment".

An operation is closely linked to the choice of the port where the Concordia will be dismantled that has not yet been taken but which revealed the Environment Minister Gian Luca Galletti, would direct the wreck towards Genoa or Turkey, choices like in Costa Cruises, although the President of Tuscany Enrico Rossi continues to insist to plummet.

There are two possible modes of transport with 17 bodies yet to be set. If it is decided to use the Vanguard – which incidentally was optioned for the month of September – then the disposal port will not be Italian. But for ' upload ' the semi-submersible Dutch ship wreck, you must empty it of inland waters, in order to ensure greater stability. That operation, with caissons mounted, risks becoming very complicated. Or, another possibility much more likely to be excluded using the Vanguard. In this case the disposal of Concord in a port would be Italian.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/05/03/ripresi-i-lavori-di-posizionamento-del-cassone-s12/

In the link you will find some pix. Scan down to end of article.

"100 tons of heavy oil"

Towing or Vanguard? This is the problem, at least for the environment. The choice of destination of Costa Concordia, in fact, will help to better understand risk scenarios, since "on the ship there are still at least 100 tons of heavy oil" to which you add other pollutants. To outlining the framework for the Adnkronos is Sebastiano Venneri, head of Legambiente sea, stressing that in the discussion you are paying little attention to environmental damage and that the solution ' ' tow is desirable.

For the dismantling of the Concordia, "as we have repeatedly said, we hope that the choice falls on the port facilities, which for us means Italy". If then will plummet, Genoa or Civitavecchia does not matter: "will the company, together with the Government, to decide". What is certain is that, according to the Observatory on retrieving Venneri of Concord, "did well to claim clarity by asking private finally where intends to carry this ship".

Know where it will be transported by the ship "is important environmental purposes", since "there are at least 100 tons of heavy oil, which has not been possible to draw when fuel was taken, most other pollutants greatest". Installation of floating bodies, though, "would in fact sealed the ship, preventing the escape of these pollutants".

From an environmental point of view, then, ' the solution ' is preferable to ' tow '. Carry the wreck in Turkey with the Vanguard, however, "would be a real environmental disaster". "Raise the ship on a floating platform would result in the release of inland waters with its cargo of poisons" and in this case, "the environmental risk is notable".

According to Valdez, therefore, is the time to be clear, because "Italy has already wasted 2 and a half years." The match at the port of destination, therefore, it is important "to avoid shame. Costs in Italy are higher of Turkey and India? It is true, but "respect for the environment and workers are paid".

Beyond the name toto on the Harbour, however, "nobody pulls out the theme of environmental damage: how much and, above all, who pays?". The Ispra has quantified the damage in 13 million "but until the wreckage is removed, you cannot know the true extent of the damage and begin clean-up". The environmental problem "must be pulled out. The Environment Ministry will have to quantify the damage and submit the account ".

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/05/04/legambiente-su-concordia-100-tonnellate-di-olio/

Weekly Report. Click on Visualizza.

I think this is one some folks have been waiting for. Aside from some good pix it also has the layout for the sponsons. S13 looks to be further up than originally thought, probably in a heavily damaged area.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/05/05/rimozione-relazione-settimanale-26-aprile-2-maggio/

As for the remaining caisson:

It went right to left

Left to right

Right to left

The caisson keeps floating along. ;)

Not sure if it will go in for installation today or not.

Yep S11 is on site as you say Micki and The Parbuckling Project (TPP) is reporting that S12 is complete.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that it would be nice if TPP would put up the diagram of where the sponsons go and lo and behold they have. So thank you TPP.

TPP also mentions

Divers from the Titan Micoperi team have been working today to prepare next installations, in order to be ready to proceed with operations as soon as the necessary authorizations will arrive.

So we wait the paperwork again

really neat picture last night posted on the PBP twitter feed

Parbuckling Project ‏@InfoParbuckling

Sponson S11 in position #parbuckling

Bm6BfhRIMAECdjE.jpg

also notes S10 should commence today

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com./article/69/Sponsons_installation_in_progress_after_observatory_authorization

Edited by lightman1984

Here is an interesting development. The GiglioNews web site ( http://www.giglionews.it/ ) is reporting that S13 has either partially collapsed or come loose at one end.

I notice that they have moved the Vincenzo Cosentino around to the area of S13.

"Crolla box, project risk?

Written by: Editorial Staff GiglioNews May 6, 2014 in News Leave a comment

Isola del Giglio - While in the late morning we gave the news with enthusiasm authorization by the Centre for the installation of all the boxes, we have to record the news a few minutes ago. It was about 17:30 when one of the 3 boxes installed on the right side of the Costa Concordia, the first, the horizontal, sold and collapsed on the one hand, as evidenced by our exclusive photos.

Now what will happen? Many people fear the idea that this "small" incident should compel a general review of coupling boxes starboard side with the inevitable lengthening of disposal that this would cause"

foto-5-290x195.jpg.af36144b21421941cd74075dfdd359e4.jpg

Edited by Bearded Engineer

Does anyone ever look at this webcam? http://www.isoladelgiglio.net/webcam.html

The picture is sharp but always has a hazy look. What I like about it is that it pans around so you see more that you can from either the Gliglio panoramic cam or Parbuckling cam. It also zooms in from time to time and you can see some good close ups.

Here is an interesting development. The GiglioNews web site ( http://www.giglionews.it/ ) is reporting that S13 has either partially collapsed or come loose at one end.

I notice that they have moved the Vincenzo Cosentino around to the area of S13.

"Crolla box, project risk?

Written by: Editorial Staff GiglioNews May 6, 2014 in News Leave a comment

Isola del Giglio - While in the late morning we gave the news with enthusiasm authorization by the Centre for the installation of all the boxes, we have to record the news a few minutes ago. It was about 17:30 when one of the 3 boxes installed on the right side of the Costa Concordia, the first, the horizontal, sold and collapsed on the one hand, as evidenced by our exclusive photos.

Now what will happen? Many people fear the idea that this "small" incident should compel a general review of coupling boxes starboard side with the inevitable lengthening of disposal that this would cause"

What I'm wondering is, if it is capable of collapsing under it's own weight(which probably doens't have a full sctructual load on it,) how are they going to hold up when it comes to them being pumped out, and taking a massive amount of stress from floating?

What I'm wondering is, if it is capable of collapsing under it's own weight(which probably doens't have a full sctructual load on it,) how are they going to hold up when it comes to them being pumped out, and taking a massive amount of stress from floating?

I don't think it collapsed. It was designed by the same people who did the port side tanks and they held up to all the stresses imposed on them during the parbuckling. I think it came loose from its attachments. It is troubling. So far everything Titan-Micoperi has done has gone according to plan. Hopefully T-M will give an explanation of what happened.