Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Does anyone ever look at this webcam? http://www.isoladelgiglio.net/webcam.html

The picture is sharp but always has a hazy look. What I like about it is that it pans around so you see more that you can from either the Gliglio panoramic cam or Parbuckling cam. It also zooms in from time to time and you can see some good close ups.

I don't recall ever seeing this one. Thanks.

My 2 cents, which would probably get you some change, is the starboard side is different than the port side. The heavy damage where the sponsons need to be placed were set up a little different. (Seems like I read that somewhere.) I trust T-M to identify and fix the problem and probably look to correct the other areas if needed.

Might be a slight delay in the project but it wouldn't be the first time that happened.

I don't think it collapsed. It was designed by the same people who did the port side tanks and they held up to all the stresses imposed on them during the parbuckling. I think it came loose from its attachments. It is troubling. So far everything Titan-Micoperi has done has gone according to plan. Hopefully T-M will give an explanation of what happened.

Yeah, I agree. They have done a great job. And you are right, the port side did hold up under a massive load. But, how is the starboard side attached? Are they doing under water welding? I'm extremely curious to know why/how that sponson broke loose.

Yeah, I agree. They have done a great job. And you are right, the port side did hold up under a massive load. But, how is the starboard side attached? Are they doing under water welding? I'm extremely curious to know why/how that sponson broke loose.

Translated from the link Clive provided it had to do with chains.

From a first assessment of what happened to the caisson S13 – make us know – is that there is no damage to the tank or to bumpers and even the structures that hold the sponson. In these hours are technicians evaluates them causes that have determined body imbalance and countermeasures to be taken to resolve the problem. From sources close to the Consortium titanium Micoperi we learn that it is not excluding the possibility of suspending the operations waiting to know more details.

The official note Titan – Micoperi- The Consortium's technicians have identified the Micoperi Titan because of "body misalignment S13": "this is indeed a press release – explains a problem linked to the tension of a chain that had been entangled in the wreckage, and then in perfect tension" not. "The situation – always returns the note – under control. The technicians will be as soon as possible to reattach correctly chain and restore balance in the body ".

Just in case anyone doesn't have the link below....you can choose any date and watch the whole day's activities around the ship in 4 or 5 minutes. I clicked on April 30th and watched the tug with the caissons go back and forth allllll day long.

http://www.kielmonitor.de/kino.php?cam=concordia

Must admit I'm finding this link very useful, thanks CruisersNC!

Just watched yesterday's video & saw that they moved the crane barge back to the dis-lodged sponson last night, assuming they are righting it at the moment, looking at the webcam at the present moment the crane appears to be holding it in position.

Also if you look at today's video using the above link, I think you can see a barge in the far distance moving across the water from left to right with 2 structures on it? I'm guessing this is a barge being towed by the tug Garibaldo mentioned by B.E. with another 2 sponsons on board? Garibaldo is now sitting just off the mainland according to Vesselfinder.com

Edited by CTH

"100 tons of heavy oil"

Towing or Vanguard? This is the problem, at least for the environment. The choice of destination of Costa Concordia, in fact, will help to better understand risk scenarios, since "on the ship there are still at least 100 tons of heavy oil" to which you add other pollutants. To outlining the framework for the Adnkronos is Sebastiano Venneri, head of Legambiente sea, stressing that in the discussion you are paying little attention to environmental damage and that the solution ' ' tow is desirable.

For the dismantling of the Concordia, "as we have repeatedly said, we hope that the choice falls on the port facilities, which for us means Italy". If then will plummet, Genoa or Civitavecchia does not matter: "will the company, together with the Government, to decide". What is certain is that, according to the Observatory on retrieving Venneri of Concord, "did well to claim clarity by asking private finally where intends to carry this ship".

Know where it will be transported by the ship "is important environmental purposes", since "there are at least 100 tons of heavy oil, which has not been possible to draw when fuel was taken, most other pollutants greatest". Installation of floating bodies, though, "would in fact sealed the ship, preventing the escape of these pollutants".

From an environmental point of view, then, ' the solution ' is preferable to ' tow '. Carry the wreck in Turkey with the Vanguard, however, "would be a real environmental disaster". "Raise the ship on a floating platform would result in the release of inland waters with its cargo of poisons" and in this case, "the environmental risk is notable".

According to Valdez, therefore, is the time to be clear, because "Italy has already wasted 2 and a half years." The match at the port of destination, therefore, it is important "to avoid shame. Costs in Italy are higher of Turkey and India? It is true, but "respect for the environment and workers are paid".

Beyond the name toto on the Harbour, however, "nobody pulls out the theme of environmental damage: how much and, above all, who pays?". The Ispra has quantified the damage in 13 million "but until the wreckage is removed, you cannot know the true extent of the damage and begin clean-up". The environmental problem "must be pulled out. The Environment Ministry will have to quantify the damage and submit the account ".

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/05/04/legambiente-su-concordia-100-tonnellate-di-olio/

Been out of town for a few days. This is pretty funny, really. I'm not real sure why they think that the 100 tons of heavy fuel would cause a pollution or disposal problem. It is in tanks. With the possible exception of tanks that were breached in the collision (which would have leaked out by now), the tank is sealed by its piping, valves, and vents (which reach up well over the current waterline). If that heavy fuel was not pumpable when they defueled the ship last year, it certainly is not going to be flowing anywhere this year. Ship's heavy fuel oil is a blend of IFO 600 residual fuel (Bunker C, to old steamship guys) that has a viscosity at ambient room temperature of tar, and marine gas oil (diesel fuel). As time passes, the gas oil will have evaporated or separated from the residual fuel, and been recovered by the environmental program. The 100 tons of fuel left in the tanks will at this time have the viscosity of asphalt, so it won't be draining out of anything when the ship is lifted onto the Vanguard. Also, because it doesn't flow, it has no effect on free-surface, which is the only reason to remove liquids from the wreck, as this is what affects stability. Whether they tow it to Italy, or lift it to Turkey, that same oil is going to be inside those tanks up until the time they cut the tanks apart.

I will try to find the link (it wasn't the parbuckling project) that had a animation of the project, and it showed that the starboard caissons are linked to the port caissons by chains and cables under the keel. It intimated that because of the sea bottom profile on the starboard side, that the caissons could not be positioned as low as the ones on the port side. Hence the need for the strand jacks on the starboard caissons, because as they deballast the caissons, and the ship rises, they will tighten the cables, lowering the starboard caissons down to keel level like the port ones. This will keep the center of gravity as low as possible, and keep the maximum amount of caisson immersed, to maximize buoyancy. So, I think that the "bumpers" on the starboard side, and the much more evident framework on the side of the caissons next to the ship that the starboard caissons have, show that the caissons are designed to slide down the hull, rather than be fixed, at least until the ship reaches its salvage draft.

Sounds like a pretty moderate delay.

The S13 sponson will be transported to a shipyard for technical assessments and necessary repairs. Installation of the remaining sponsons will resume as soon as the Conquest crane will be available again, that is after that S13 will be loaded on the barge that will reach Giglio island from Genoa. Repositioning of S13 will therefore be completed at a later stage; the installation sequence foresees positioning of S10 as soon as possible. Technicians have assessed minor damages also in the adjacent sponson (S12), caused by yesterday’s contact with sponson S13 during its rotation. Assessment on this sponson is ongoing.

Cheng ... I think the Heavy Oil issue story is a ploy to keep the ship somewhere in Italy for breaking up.

Working in such confined space as they are on the Starboard side i guess that at some point there was likely to be some delays.

Thanks to everyone for the links.

Cheng ... I think the Heavy Oil issue story is a ploy to keep the ship somewhere in Italy for breaking up.Of course it is, I really believe that the Italians didn't believe that the CC could be righted, let alone floated out in one piece, and are now trying to play catch up on the question of scrapping.

Working in such confined space as they are on the Starboard side i guess that at some point there was likely to be some delays.

Thanks to everyone for the links.

Hey, stuff happens. Since nothing is broken on the wreck, nor is anything leaking, the movement of one caisson is no big deal, considering there are a couple of months left before float out.

I am a bit confused with what is happening at the moment.

We can see the two pontoons going up and down, one with one sponson on and the other with two.

TPP tells us that the pontoon Mak is on site to take away S13 for inspection and possible repair. Is Mak one of the two we can see or is that a third pontoon on site?

Not sure why they needed to bring 3 sponsons on site when it takes two days to fit one, perhaps one of our KO's can help me please.

I am a bit confused with what is happening at the moment.

We can see the two pontoons going up and down, one with one sponson on and the other with two.

TPP tells us that the pontoon Mak is on site to take away S13 for inspection and possible repair. Is Mak one of the two we can see or is that a third pontoon on site?

Not sure why they needed to bring 3 sponsons on site when it takes two days to fit one, perhaps one of our KO's can help me please.

Hard to tell the players without a program, but with Conquest shifted well aft this morning, obviously with S13 hanging from it, they're pretty close to lifting it out of the way now. The barge with one caisson is located pretty close to CC, so I think you're right, that they will place S13 on it, and take the one caisson (S10?) off at that time.

I think the idea of having the 3 caissons on site is like stocking store shelves, better to have too much than not enough. Don't want to have to wait on tows being delayed due to weather, and if things go faster than previously, stock is on hand. The "Caisson Two Step" or "Sponson Shuffle" will probably be a fixture on the webcams this summer.

Just played catch up for the day by watching the Kielmonitor link posted earlier on, they've lifted the damaged S13 out of the water & onto the barge with 1 sponson already on board, then towed that barge away & brought the other barge in with the 2 new sponsons on board, they're preparing to lift one of them at the moment.

They could not have used the single sponson that was on the barge that came down for S13 because S10 and S09 where already on the barge they brought down earlier in the week and they are installing them in descending order from S13. S12 and S11 are already installed. That is why they moved the barge with S13 away and brought in the other barge with S10 and S09. It is my guess that S08 and S07 where cued up on the barge in Genoa and they removed S07 to make room for S13 but it made sense to leave S08 on the barge rather than tow an empty all the way from Genoa. I suspect that the barge with S13 will stay around Giglio until they need the upright sponson (S08) and then it will take S13 back to the shipyard for inspection and/or repair.

REMOVING CONCORDIA BETWEEN 10 and 15 JULY

It was an opportunity to take stock of the situation in the light of the incident that occurred Tuesday, 6 dump S13 may (SEE). In the long note at the Observatory we publish signed by Walter Felton for Tuscany-News is summarized in detail the position of the control body of the Tuscany region.

Add the words ing. Porcellacchia that has ensured compliance with the time-line of installation of caissons that will not be interrupted but will proceed with the remaining vertical sponsons. Moreover – he added – Coast coach " our forecasts on rigalleggiamento have been revised and moved around mid-July, barring unforeseen circumstances."

The note of the Observatory (Walter Felton)

Three questions, three answers waitings for Monday. Maria Sargentini, President of the Observatory on removing the Costa Concordia, the repeats and explains it to the inhabitants of Lily during the meeting with the population that took place in the afternoon. A meeting in the sacristy of the Church where the night of the sinking, almost two and a half years ago by now, many passengers found the first shelter at night.

The Lily today there was the Sun and Porto and nearest beaches were already animated the early tourists and school groups each year, in spring, organize day trips along the trails that crisscross the island. There is a desire to return to a normal life.

Monday, reconstruction of what happened- After the incident in recent days, with the body horizontal, waving the first just mounted on the starboard side aft and the last, the Observatory has asked to know if it was a human error, whether it is a procedure that did not work or if the problem is a wrong procedure that will be changed. The Observatory wants to understand even if the incident will have an impact on the timing and the philosophy of the operation. Also asks to know how you plan to remove, before rigalleggiamento, the fuel and 2600 tons of oily waters still closed inside the ship and that, when the hull was lying on its side, it was not possible to pump out.

No human error- He will speak on Monday at the meeting of the Centre convened in Florence. Costa, as mentioned earlier, explained that it was not a human error: tutta colpa d a chain that was close to "s" around a lot of cement under the keel of the ship and who seemed to live but that then moved the bag, it is loose. "At this moment there are no reasons for alarm – particularly stresses Sargentini – and a complex site like this accidents and incidents may occur. But we can't pretend that nothing happened and ask for guarantees the safe and the environment, and for professionals working in the yard ".

S13 ready to return to the manifacturer- This afternoon the horizontal box that had surrendered in the meantime was removed and placed on a barge: a block from 850 tons, 30 metres wide, wide top ten and eleven. It is healthy and not in water but must be repaired and that they will return to Genoa to Fincantieri. Serve fifteen days and two travel, explained Mr Franco Costa Porcellacchia. This will result in two weeks of delay. In the meantime it will continue construction operations, varying the sequence of installation of caissons as provided for in the beginning.

Never Delays due to the Centre- Sargentini, after some reconstructions press releases, held to clarify that the Observatory has never slowed down the shipyard's operations compared to what could be done. He also confirmed Porcellacchia: "never stop for the Centre's fault, he said, to tell the truth we are not just never stops".

At this point expect the documents to be discussed Monday at the Observatory. "Sure – still pointed Sargentini – there will be asked to decide in two hours on a project and a very complex documentation, we asked at the end of October and to be prepared has required eight months".

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/05/10/rimozione-concordia-tra-il-10-e-il-15-luglio/

I wonder why they stopped including the Gantt chart at the end of the report that showed the planned activities for the next week. That always had useful information.

Yeah, I tended to rely on that more than the painful auto-translations of the actual report. I have seen where they miss a couple of weeks and then remember to put them back in. It may be, since they are citing a delay, that the chart is being revised, and all parties need to sign off on it.

From GiglioNews:

Costa Concordia announces dates for removal

Written by: Editorial Staff GiglioNews May 12, 2014 in News 3 Comments

COSTA CONCORDIA ANNOUNCES DATES FOR REMOVAL

The news Dario Rossi Tuscany News which publishes the minutes of today's meeting in Florence Observatory.

The meeting of the Observatory for the recovery of the Costa Concordia was held this morning at Palazzo Cerretani did point out two important aspects of the plan and the expected recovery of the wreck, stressed the Chairman Mary Sargentini; the timetable and plan of treatment and recovery of water contained in the hull.

First, however, has been examined, for the information of all the components of the organism, the incident of the famous horizontal box S13, being transferred to Genoa for the necessary control measures and restoration of full operational functionality awaiting the throw-in operates. An unexpected accident and certainly not to be repeated, they said the engineer Franco Porcellacchia Costa and Stefano Girotto consortium Titan-Micoperi, but who taught very safe for the rest of the work engagement of the other cells.

The proposed timetable provides for the Costa Concordia rigalleggiamento of between 18 and 20 July next, dates of which the Centre was limited to taking note. The update of the plan of inland waters, added the president Sargentini, was instead required in view of the deadline of 20 May, the date specified by the Observatory for the start of operations of the treatment.

As for the fuel tanks, according to data presented by Costa and the consortium, the integrity of the speakers is such as to ensure that they remain tight and the absence of hydrocarbon spill residue when towing; Costa then does not see the need for intervention. In any case, the Centre has requested and obtained by means of a reconnaissance robot for precise monitoring of the situation, and to make an informed assessment as to continue the operation.

As for the water present in the free volumes in flotation, estimated between 140 thousand and 159mila cubic meters, the plan provides the suction of about 4 thousand cubic meters in two specific areas at the level of the bridge C, one at the bow and stern, that have the highest concentrations of pollutants. The purpose of this operation, said Sargentini, will alleviate these concentrations (in particular phthalates and hydrocarbons) in view of the inevitable upheaval and exchange with external water at the time of the action of rigalleggiamento, keeping the weight necessary to balance the hull .