Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

This morning the tug Garibaldo has arrived with what I presume is S10.

It left Piombino yesterday afternoon and spent the night out of camera range and made the short journey to the site this morning. Tug Lukas is still docked in Genoa.

Interesting photo Ken, thanks, It shows, I think, that the search of cabins is complete on those cabins out of the water as previously these cabins were "out of bounds"

Micki, nothing surprises me about the Italians, even before this. They have done nothing to change my opinion of their decision making talents.

Clive;

Even though it doesn't show on the graphic, I thought S10 was already installed, and the tweets say it was done the 11th. That must be S9.

How 'bout them Italians! Press conference to announce that after 2 years, we've set a date for one month before we float this thing to decide on where to take it. But we might not be able to come to a decision by then. Big news.

Clive;

Even though it doesn't show on the graphic, I thought S10 was already installed, and the tweets say it was done the 11th. That must be S9.

How 'bout them Italians! Press conference to announce that after 2 years, we've set a date for one month before we float this thing to decide on where to take it. But we might not be able to come to a decision by then. Big news.

To quote Big Dan Teague from the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou, "It's all about the money boys!"

What I find the most puzzling about the dance of the sponsons is the behavior of the Lukas. We know Garibaldo had the barge with S10 and S9 as she was holding it in Piombino after offloading S10 until S9 was needed. Lukas had the barge with the damaged S13 and the mystery sponson (we did not know which number it was) hauled all the way from Genoa. If they were not going to install the mystery sponson before taking S13 back to Genoa, why did Lukas spend all that time cruising in circles off the coast of Elba? Why didn't she sail straight to Genoa once S13 was loaded?

Good morning Cheng.

Its not often I'm right but I'm wrong again lol.

BE Do we think that the pontoon Mak and tug Lukas are together or working as separate units. If they are separate and Mak is being towed by a tug with no transponder. They were reckoning on two days to fit each sponson so if Garibaldo sets off for Genoa today its going to take longer than two days to load more sponsons and get back or do I remember that they are being stored closer to the site.

Organisational skills is not an Italian strong point as anyone who has sailed with either Costa or MSC can tell you!

A meeting about a meeting about a meeting ... :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what the Box cabins on the to deck are for ?

Edited by sidari

Sid, when CC was capsized wasn't there an "office" of sorts on the side? Could the cabin you are referring to be the same?

Off Topic, did you and John ever meet up to tip a pint? ;)

Clive, can't remember exactly when you are leaving but wanted to wish you safe travels and calm seas.

Edited by SomeBeach

Hi SB .... John and his wife are on the Ruby Princess and leave Southampton on the 23rd, they will be in Liverpool on the 29th which is where we hope to meet. i will try and get a picture still of the cabin that i saw on CC.

Edited by sidari

Hi Micki

We fly to Rome on Tuesday to join Costa Deliziosa and sail to Savona, Katakolon, Mykynos, Izmir, Istanbul, Constanta, Bourgas and Athens.

We return to UK 2nd June.

I will keep in touch as much as possible.

Thank you for your good wishes.

All the best

Clive

Sid, when CC was capsized wasn't there an "office" of sorts on the side? Could the cabin you are referring to be the same?

Off Topic, did you and John ever meet up to tip a pint? ;)

Clive, can't remember exactly when you are leaving but wanted to wish you safe travels and calm seas.

They did place the command center on top of CC after the parbuckling. It was mounted on the side during the preparations for parbuckling, then they they placed it on a barge to control the parbuckling. Now it will be used to control the refloat process. I assume it is also the site office.

Anyone ready to give odds' date=' the CC will be sitting on her platform, ready to be floated and the Italian authorities will be still arguing/fighting over who gets the money from scrapping?:rolleyes:

AKK[/quote']

No takers there, Skipper, but I'm going for the scenario that she is actually floating when the final decision is made.

I will have an outside wager that she will still be on the platform breaking up in the winter storms and they still will not make their minds up.

TPP confirm the start of the installation of S9.

Still puzzled that TPP is saying the pontoon Mak brought S13 to Genoa on 15th and Lukas didn't get there until 16th?.

Could it be there are three sets of tugs and pontoons :-

Unnamed tug and Mak.

Tug Lukas and unnamed pontoon

Tug Garibaldo and unnamed pontoon.

In which case could we see Unnamed tug and Mak bring two more sponsons S8 and S7 in the next couple of days.

From the weekly report:

Installation of sponsons Sat Apr 26, '14 Fri Jul 11, '14 76 days 18%

Install SB sponson - S9 Sat May 17, '14 Mon May 19, '14 2 days 0%

Install SB sponson - S8 Wed May 21, '14 Fri May 23, '14 2 days 0%

Install SB sponson - S7 Fri May 23, '14 Sun May 25, '14 2 days 0%

S13 incident remediation Wed May 7, '14 Sun Jun 15, '14 39.67 days 36%

S12 remediation Tue May 13, '14 Sun Jun 15, '14 33 days 21%

http://www.giglionews.it/wp-content/uploads/rel_sett_osservatorio180514.pdf?f0ba71

I will have an outside wager that she will still be on the platform breaking up in the winter storms and they still will not make their minds up.

TPP confirm the start of the installation of S9.

Still puzzled that TPP is saying the pontoon Mak brought S13 to Genoa on 15th and Lukas didn't get there until 16th?.

Could it be there are three sets of tugs and pontoons :-

Unnamed tug and Mak.

Tug Lukas and unnamed pontoon

Tug Garibaldo and unnamed pontoon.

In which case could we see Unnamed tug and Mak bring two more sponsons S8 and S7 in the next couple of days.

Clive;

Interesting to see in the list of vessels in the weekly report that none of the tugs towing the barges is listed, but that there are 4 barges listed for transporting the caissons: Micourier 1 and 2, MAK, and Archimedes.

Clive .... I would be interested on what you think of the Deliziosa when you return, have to say we enjoyed our cruise on the ship though we did find the internal colour scheme somewhat loud.

No takers there, Skipper, but I'm going for the scenario that she is actually floating when the final decision is made.

Chief, I cannot with any honesty say you are wrong, but wouldn't it be safer to keep her fully grounded on the platform until all this is settled??

AKK

Chief' date=' I cannot with any honesty say you are wrong, but wouldn't it be safer to keep her fully grounded on the platform until all this is settled??

AKK[/quote']

Safer? Sure. But when has safety or logic ever entered into the Italian government's involvement with CC?:D With the notable exception of the CG commander on the night of the grounding.

As I reported a couple of days ago, we are due to fly to Rome tomorrow to pick up Costa Deliziosa.

Yesterday I began tracking the ship into Valencia in Spain and was a little surprised when she didn't move last night to head for Rome. I also looked at the webcam and that showed her still in port.

With the knowledge I have gleaned from this thread, I satisfied myself that they hadn't put the transponder on.

I have just received a phone call from Costa to say that the ship is still in Valencia with engine problems and they will ring me in 2/3 hours when they have sorted out what they are going to do.

Hope they don't take as long to make this decision as they have with the scrapyard. I will keep you posted .

Safer? Sure. But when has safety or logic ever entered into the Italian government's involvement with CC?:D With the notable exception of the CG commander on the night of the grounding.

Dam........Silly me trying to think logically with anything involving the Italian government and the CC!!!

AKK

As I reported a couple of days ago, we are due to fly to Rome tomorrow to pick up Costa Deliziosa.

Yesterday I began tracking the ship into Valencia in Spain and was a little surprised when she didn't move last night to head for Rome. I also looked at the webcam and that showed her still in port.

With the knowledge I have gleaned from this thread, I satisfied myself that they hadn't put the transponder on.

I have just received a phone call from Costa to say that the ship is still in Valencia with engine problems and they will ring me in 2/3 hours when they have sorted out what they are going to do.

Hope they don't take as long to make this decision as they have with the scrapyard. I will keep you posted .

Whoops, Clive. Just saw the news that Deliziosa had a blackout in Valencia. Not sure how much this will affect your cruise.

OK I think everything is now sorted.

The deal was 50% refund of ALL money I paid which meant a £1500 refund which hopefully be in my account tomorrow.

A free cruise with flights and all inclusive included and its the same ship and same itinerary leaving Rome on 18th July. The paperwork is already sorted.

I would say that considering the size of the problem that Costa have faced these last two days they have handled it very well. With 2500+ having to be flown back from Valencia and 2500+ people having to be re organised with refunds and new cruises this has been a big problem to deal with

And if that grovelling doesn't get me an upgrade to a balcony there is no justice in this world.

Oh and don't worry tomorrow we are flying out to Lesbos for a two week land holiday.