New to RCI, what is the better ship?

Hi Aussie here we have sailed on 3 cruises before two p&o and 1 carnival, looking at doing RCI from OZ this time either rhapsody of seas or radiance of seas, radiance looks bigger and newer in your opinions is there much difference and if so what are the difference. Can you take wine on board RCI and order alcohol to your cabin like on carnival,and is there much food choices for vegetarians, and do you have a link to the menus etc, and besides MDR and windjammers is there any other places to eat that are included in price like sandwiches, salad, pizza etc. Thanks guys.

I don't know anything about those particular ships, but on the cruise I just got back from (Liberty of the Seas) there were ample vegetarian options. I was a little worried going in, because every time there was a question about vegetarian options on this board people would say there's a curry dish every night. I happen to hate Indian food (and have rosacea so I can't have anything spicy), so I was really glad to see there were plenty of vegetarian starters and entrees. I think there was a night when both vegetarian entrees were spicy so I ordered an extra appetizer and a side of mashed potatoes. The waiters in the main dining room are very accommodating.

Hi Aussie here we have sailed on 3 cruises before two p&o and 1 carnival, looking at doing RCI from OZ this time either rhapsody of seas or radiance of seas, radiance looks bigger and newer in your opinions is there much difference and if so what are the difference. Can you take wine on board RCI and order alcohol to your cabin like on carnival,and is there much food choices for vegetarians, and do you have a link to the menus etc, and besides MDR and windjammers is there any other places to eat that are included in price like sandwiches, salad, pizza etc. Thanks guys.

Hello. The Radiance is a different class of ship from the Rhapsody. Radiance is about 90,000 tons and about 900' in length and was the lead ship in her class and it is bigger than the Rhapsody. The Radiance is newer as it followed the Vision Class ships. Rhapsody is a Vision Class ship which is about 800' in length and up to 77,000 tons. Although I am sure Rhapsody is a fine ship the Radiance has more to offer in the way of specialty dinning and shipboard activities. There are vegan choices on the menu in the MDR and may vary in the specialty dinning venues. Some of the specialty dinning venues are the Samba Grill (brazillian style meats), Izumi (Japanese/Sushi), Rita's Cantina (Mexican), Boardwalk Doghouse (hotdogs), Chops Grill (steakhouse), Giovanni's Table (Italian), and there is a pizzeria in the Solarium area of the ship. Most of these venues will have a extra charge for dinning there. On a past cruise I was on (not the Radiance) I was able to have alcohol delivered by room service but you will be charged for it (I ordered a bucket of beers). I hope this helps. Happy Cruising! :)

I would opt for the Radiance, I just like those class of ships a little better than the Vision class (Rhapsody) ships and the Radiance has recently received some updates. Can't help much in the way of the vegetarian foods other than they are available, sorry no link. As for taking wine on board or any alcohol for that matter is not permitted by RCI. Actually their rules stated you can not bring any beverages on board, however depending on the embarkation port small reasonable quantities are overlooked. We never ordered alcohol for the room, but we have taken wine from the dining room back to the cabin. Food that is not included is in Giovanni's, Chops, Izumi, Samba Grill and Rita's Cantina. That sounds like a lot of exceptions but between the pizza place in the Solarium, the Windjammer and the MDR I'm sure you will find plenty that is included:).

Thanks all i want to do radiance but other members want to do rhapsody as its 3 months later and different stops but i prefer a bigger, better ship.

Hi Aussie cruiser, we have been on the Rhapsody of the Seas and she is a lovely ship, one of the happiest crews on board too, she is also having a major refit done in March with added specialty restaurants. She has had really good reviews. Hope this helps.

Rhapsody will be getting refurbished in March. I think she will be in dry dock for a few weeks. So she will most likely get specialty restraunts and upgrades in the cabins, like Radience. Not too sure what else is going to be added. I haven't been on either of the ships but I am booked on the Rhapsody in Oct from Sydney :))

Not necessarily better. Rhapsody is a truly great cruise ship. Easy to get around, great layout. The atrium is great. the pool area is well done. Yes, we love Rhapsody..sailed her 6 times. So which ever ship you choose, you will be wowed!

Can't speak to differences in the ships but have been very happy with Radiance class. But I know on Radiance itself they drastically changed two key features (SeaView Cafe - gone) and a change to the outdoor seating area for Windjammer buffet. Still, after the extensive Royal Advantage dry dock visit it should "feel" like a new ship.

You can order for your room or the dinning room but, you will pay lots for it.

There are wine packages where you can take bottle back to cabin but there is no other program for liquor in cabin. Only option is by the drink room service. They do not allow purchasing a bottle onboard for consumption in the cabin and room service is painfully slow. Only other option is trekking to a bar and fetching own back to cabin but that's not convenient for a nightcap after dressing for bed.

My wife eats very little meat and has been happy with many of the vegetarian options.

Archived