Somewhat unusual suite question

I booked the RS (not RFS) a good year out, no questions asked.

The RS sleeps five, there is a private bedroom (not just a curtain) with a king bed. There is a murphy bed in the living room area, as well as a queen sleeper sofa.

There are two bathrooms, the one off the bedroom is lavish with a soaking tub and very large walk in shower, the one off the foyer has a toilet, vanity/sink, and generously sized single shower.

Sorry, I thought that although the Royal Suite sleeps up to five, you could book it anytime for three, while the Royal Family suite books with a minimum of five so you have to take a chance that it might open up for fewer before you cruise. That's why a family of four could book the RS at anytime, but they could only get a RFS closer to the cruise. That's where the connecting room suites come in handy. The ship now has more suites available for families, if necessary.

Your slippery slope ........ is SLIPPERYER (new word) :) than mine!

Your example does not make a lot of sense. First of all, I'm not sure how many are allowed to occupy say .... the Royal Family Suite, but that might be the ONLY suite that allows EIGHT registered passengers ..... if any.

The OP is booking a family of 4 with two relatively young children. It would be very "normal" to book this family into an Owner's Suite by paying the 3rd & 4th passenger rates. Let's assume (rather safely) that the additional Balcony Cabin will cost more than the 3rd & 4th person rates. If the OP is NOT given suite privledges for his family, then he is in effect being penalized for going to the extra expense.

This does NOT makes sense to me.

Thank you pltag for adding some logic and yes, i am paying more and getting less if i book the two cabins if we all dont get the OS priviliges. We are going to check again to see if the RS suite is available for the 4 of us but when we were told it wasnt for less than 5 people, it came directly from RCL because we started to get quotes directly from RCL before we got a TA.

I have to disagree. If everyone booked in a suite thought it was OK to just add one or two others onto their perks, be it priority tendering, lounge access, show seating, or any other capacity controlled perks, it would lead to everything being overcrowded.

When I cruise I choose a suite so I don't have to wait in lines, etc., and it would tick me off if I couldn't get onto a tender because the other suites each brought along extra people who weren't suite guests. It's not like there is an infinite amount of space.

Generally speaking, I agree with your point. However, in this scenerio, the OP could have easily only booked the Owners Suite for his entire family and the kids would have a gold card anyway.

Just what I was thinking!!! It is a great deal for RCCL!! you can easily book the OS for the four of you and all will be given suite privileges. BTW, we had an OS on the Oasis and is rally a big and comfortable room for a family of four. :)

I agree. The OS accommodates the 4 people. They are not crowding the perks. They are using the number of spaces a OS can be expected to take up and paying for the privileges. In regards to booking a RFS or RS, I booked 8 monts in advance and no suites that could hold 4 or more were open. zero. I agree that there need to be more family options.

Why? They don't have to allow you to bring the kids into the lounge. And they can certainly tell you that you have to sit elsewhere in the theater or pool area rather than the seats reserved for suites. You aren't being forced to leave the kids behind, you still have access to deck chairs and theater sets, just not those reserved for suite guests.

It has been my personal experience with young kids that as long as the parents are suite guests they make the exception for young children in the connecting cabin.....Royal wants to sell suites....they aren't going to sell you a suite along with another attached cabin to tell the parents....sorry you can't use any of the suite privilege because you want to bring your young children with you...especially now with the new rule changes regarding the use of the CL during evening hours. On Oasis/Allure the concierge can also go ahead and put a "priority" sticker on a non-gold card....this will allow entry into reserved seating and also into shows without advanced reservation....except for the comedy show....which the kids are to young for anyways.

Some very good advise given here. If all else fails and you do not get the resolution you are looking for, I would also suggest discussing with your concierge. Some times they will contact you prior to the cruise. You could even send a request to be contacted via the contact form on their website. Otherwise if you still haven't gotten anywhere prior to sailing I would go to the lounge as soon as you board for further assistance.

Your slippery slope ........ is SLIPPERYER (new word) :) than mine!

Your example does not make a lot of sense. First of all, I'm not sure how many are allowed to occupy say .... the Royal Family Suite, but that might be the ONLY suite that allows EIGHT registered passengers ..... if any.

The OP is booking a family of 4 with two relatively young children. It would be very "normal" to book this family into an Owner's Suite by paying the 3rd & 4th passenger rates. Let's assume (rather safely) that the additional Balcony Cabin will cost more than the 3rd & 4th person rates. If the OP is NOT given suite privledges for his family, then he is in effect being penalized for going to the extra expense.

This does NOT makes sense to me.

OK, so let's say they have 10 kids. They book the RFS for eight and the other four kids into another room. By your thinking, they should ALL get concierge level amenities, even if only eight of them are in a concierge room. Then let's say the people in the RS book five in there, and another four kids in a room down the hall. So now you've got eight extras. And where does it stop? Let's say I book a GS for myself and my husband, and we are also paying for our four nieces and nephews, but put them in an inside cabin across the hall. Shouldn't they get privileges as well? After all I'm paying a single supplement for him.

Like I said, it's a slippery slope, there is a finite amount of seating designated for concierge suites, and where do you draw the line?

It has been my personal experience with young kids that as long as the parents are suite guests they make the exception for young children in the connecting cabin.....Royal wants to sell suites....they aren't going to sell you a suite along with another attached cabin to tell the parents....sorry you can't use any of the suite privilege because you want to bring your young children with you...especially now with the new rule changes regarding the use of the CL during evening hours. On Oasis/Allure the concierge can also go ahead and put a "priority" sticker on a non-gold card....this will allow entry into reserved seating and also into shows without advanced reservation....except for the comedy show....which the kids are to young for anyways.

So using your thinking, I should be able to book a GS for my husband and I, and an adjoining balcony cabin for our adult son, and he should be able to accompany us everywhere, because we're paying for his room. Why is my scenario any different?

OK, so let's say they have 10 kids....

Oh my goodness you sure like dreaming up theoretical "what ifs" to keep your knickers in a twist over. Should a family booking a regular plain old cabin where mom and dad are diamond members and the kids are on their very first cruise be allowed to have diamond priviledges? Well, apparently because RCCL gives kids the same C&A status as parents, they get those priviledges and status whether you like it or not. If a family with 10 kids (12 people including the parents) and they book a RFS with a CONNECTING cabin, then that suite+connecting cabin (note I said connecting--in effect like someone else said making it a really big enlarged suite) with parents and their minor children should all be counted as one for status. I know you don't like that idea and don't see it that way. But the only real thing that matters isn't how you or I see it--it is how RCCL sees it. Again, there aren't many suites with connecting (not simply "next door" or "across the hall"...ones with a door that opens up inside between the rooms) non-suite rooms, so no...it shouldn't be that significant of an increase to the numbers getting the perks.

So using your thinking, I should be able to book a GS for my husband and I, and an adjoining balcony cabin for our adult son, and he should be able to accompany us everywhere, because we're paying for his room. Why is my scenario any different?

It is different bc we are talking about minor children. There are few suites that will accommodate my family of 5 which forces me into 2 rooms. It would be cheaper to book us all in a suite, and I'd prefer paying less money and getting more perks and double cruise credits, but it is impossible if they are already booked a year ahead of time. There are only a few suites and those book very early especially for school breaks. I don't know the solution. For years I've had to pay more money for 2 rooms than my last 2 cruises in suites finally.

Because its not available for less than 5+ guests. And across the hall is not an option because my kids are 9-6 yo. That just doesn’t make sense. the rooms need to be adjoining.

I think that the RCI rep you spoke with thought you said "Royal Family Suite" instead of "Royal Suite." The RS always pops up as an option when I book for just DH and me. I never pick it, mind you:p, but it's available for 2, so 4 shouldn't be a problem.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!:)

Thank you pltag for adding some logic and yes, i am paying more and getting less if i book the two cabins if we all dont get the OS priviliges. We are going to check again to see if the RS suite is available for the 4 of us but when we were told it wasnt for less than 5 people, it came directly from RCL because we started to get quotes directly from RCL before we got a TA.

Have you consider one of the CLSuites? We had an OS on the Oasis and a CL on the Allure. The children are going to love this room, you have two separate bathrooms, they have their own TV, and everyone will have suite status.

Thanks for the response everyone, with the exception of ducklite who i dont think was adding a whole lot of value to the conversations with his/her what ifs which didnt really seem to be based in reality... But it was entertaining.

I think being able to book both my wife and i in the suite solves my may issue of one of us not having a suite card. DRD07, i would love to hear your take on this so ill send you an email with my personal email address.

Anywhoo, thanks again for all the responses and i feel much better knowing that my wife and i can book in the OS and the kids in the adjoining room.

Thx

I believe bajathree was referring to kids being allowed in the CL in the evening.

Yes...that is correct.

Thanks for the response everyone, with the exception of ducklite who i dont think was adding a whole lot of value to the conversations with his/her what ifs which didnt really seem to be based in reality... But it was entertaining.

I think being able to book both my wife and i in the suite solves my may issue of one of us not having a suite card. DRD07, i would love to hear your take on this so ill send you an email with my personal email address.

Anywhoo, thanks again for all the responses and i feel much better knowing that my wife and i can book in the OS and the kids in the adjoining room.

Thx

Enjoy....I am sure it will all work out fine and your family will love Allure:)

Thanks. Im sure it will be great. This is our 20th anniversary so we are splurging on the cabins. I’m sure it will work out, but I’m trying to eliminate as much drama as possible prior to the cruise..

Thanks again

This is a tough one ....... I guess none of us are sure what the "official" position will be.

I emailed them on our last cruise and the 'official position' is that minor children accompanying adults in a suite will share suite benefits.

Archived