Changing of the guards/Stockholm

ambelina

I believe that our ship will be docked at Stadsgarden and sails at 2:00pm. Would there be enough time to see the changing of the guards and still make it back to the ship on time. I'm not sure how far the palace is from the dock.:)

I believe that our ship will be docked at Stadsgarden and sails at 2:00pm. Would there be enough time to see the changing of the guards and still make it back to the ship on time. I'm not sure how far the palace is from the dock.:)

The Changing of the Guard occurs from the months of May -October at 12:15PM every day except Sundays where it is at 1:15PM. the entire ceremony lasts for about an hour from start to finish. It comes complete with a marching band before the actual ceremony. It is fun to see, but you can leave at any time. We stayed for about 2/3 of it, and then felt we needed to move on as our stay in Stockholm was also drawing short.

If you are there for the 12:15 ceremony, you can leave by 1:00 (or earlier if you wish) and be back at the ship in about 20 minutes, depending on where your ship is docked.

here are a few pixs of the changing of the guard ceremony and a quick video

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1366.mp4

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1373.mp4

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1301.jpg

We found this ceremony quite nice.

Cheers

Len

Thank you Len for your answer to my question and for the pictures. It was very helpful. One further question ---Is it 20 minutes back to ship walking or other mode of transport? Thanks

There are two Stadsgården berths, S160 and S167, S160 closer to downtown and S167 further east, on the other side of the Viking car ferry terminal. As I understand it S167 is whats called "Masthamnen" on the Google maps. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Using Google Earth I then get the distances from (the middle of) the ship to Slussen as:

S160: 1.03 km (0.64 miles)

S167: 1.90 km (1.18 miles)

The distance from the parade ground behind the Palace to Slussen is 0.7 km (0.44 miles) using the optimal way along the narrow streets but a more natural way would be to follow the Palace down to the water and then follow the harbor to Slussen, making it 0.9 km (0.55 miles).

So for Stadsgården S167, if that is where the ship is docked, the total distance would be over 1.7 miles so you can hardly do that in 20 minutes.

Thank you Len for your answer to my question and for the pictures. It was very helpful. One further question ---Is it 20 minutes back to ship walking or other mode of transport? Thanks

Glad you enjoyed the pix.

First find out exactly where your ship docks. But UT stated it very well, even if the distance is well over a mile or so, you may be wiser to grab a Taxi, or one of the public buses.

Cheers

Len

The Emerald Princess is booked to dock at Stadsgården 167 on June 12. This could of course change, that can always happen.

When we see that a cruise ship will be docked at Stadsgården it is usually at berth S167. Only small cruise ships seem to be able to dock at Stadsgården S160. So there will be a rather long walk back to the ship.

There is no direct bus from the Royal Palace to your port. It would be necessary to change at Slussen, so a bus is not a very good option. If your ship is leaving as early 2.00PM you would probably have to be back at least 30 minutes before that time, so there is not time to watch the changing of the guards. What you could see if you are close is how they come marching up to the palace.

Len, as always, has summed up things well on how you don't need to be there for the whole time to see, sample and experience certain of the highlights on the Stockholm changing of the guard. It is a great "show" that we had stumbled upon and like so much. The band was a nice "bonus" for us. Below are some of my pictures to help people get excited about this interesting option in charming Stockholm. Love their unique uniforms

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 61,072 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 57,553 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard was one of our highlights from visiting this historic capital in Sweden. Loved this part of our visit.:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

While at the Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

1A-StHolm-GuardsMarching.jpg

9-StockholmMil.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace (with a military guard on duty) and its next-door historic Storkyrkan church:

9-StockholmPalChurch.jpg

Archived