time needed in Willemstad

2 cruzen

I'm considering a 3 1/2 hour tour in the morning - Country Drive, but I also want to walk over to Punda and see the floating markets - maybe check out the Maritime museum. Is 4 hours enough time in Willemstad to get to shop/sightsee? I know it depends on how much shopping, but I only want to see some sights and get a couple of postcards - not a big shopper.

I'm considering a 3 1/2 hour tour in the morning - Country Drive, but I also want to walk over to Punda and see the floating markets - maybe check out the Maritime museum. Is 4 hours enough time in Willemstad to get to shop/sightsee? I know it depends on how much shopping, but I only want to see some sights and get a couple of postcards - not a big shopper.

4 hours is plenty of time, especially if you are not a shopper.

A walking map of Willemstad would be a help. You can google one online.

The Fort Amsterdam, the Floating Market etc. would be on a tour map.

Four hours at a time is a good amount to walk in Willemstad, as others have said.

We were on this itinerary on the Westerdam a few years ago. Have a great cruise!

what is the one museum in your opinion to not miss? Thinking of the Maritime museum - would probably walk there; or the slavery museum closer to the pier.

I would not miss the Kura Hulanda (slavery) museum. It's quite unique with its original artifacts and beautiful displays. Have a great cruise!

I would not miss the Kura Hulanda (slavery) museum. It's quite unique with its original artifacts and beautiful displays. Have a great cruise!

Tulas monument (a beautiful slavery monument) should not be missed, but hard to tell you how to get there as not easily accessible. i found it, by mistake in a diving mishap. Can walk to it from cruise ship. I will attach a picture, if I can find it. FOUND IT.

One picture is of the wonderful monument. There is history on line, if you want to read more about it. I googled "Tula Monument Curacao" and got a lot of information. The other picture, with boat in the background, is to show you how close the pier is to monument. the ship is docked at the Megapier.

Enjoy Curacao.

STA70129.jpg.1b9e98b46347368fc17585f2b557dde0.jpg

STA70128.jpg.56b2d5b37e5d06938dc4c4165b037208.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there a fee and if so what is it to get into the Kura Hulanda Museum? What sort of things are on display?

I am assuming The Carnival Freedom docks at the Mega Pier. How long would it take the average person to walk to the museum? And how much time should we allow to go through the museum?

Also, the art, craft and cuisine map whick the link was posted above. Is that worth walking through? What exactly is this area?

Thanks

The Kura Hulanda Museum is about the history of slavery.

http://www.curacao.com/The-Curacao-Difference/Our-People-and-Culture/Museums/Kura-Hulanda-Museum

http://www.kurahulanda.com/en/mission

VERY impressive with authentic artifacts, video displays and a "real" village. I love the entire set up of the Kura Hulanda hotel.

Entrance is $9,- (if I remember correctly) and all major credit cards are accepted.

The walk from the pier should not be more than 10 minutes - 15 if you're a slow walker. It should take you a MINIMUM of an hour to walk through the museum

The CTB walk-plan sounds like fun if you have lots of time (and not having to walk in the hot afternoon sun).

Personally I would skip points C + D. Either go to the museum or cross the pontoon bridge and follow the path from there.

Point E is not very exciting either - just a couple of stalls with souveniers you can find near the pier and also near the floating market.

Tip: on your way from the megapier, you start at point A (round-about). At the very first left, there is a little stall/car that sells Batidos. These are fresh fruit shakes. Try the Mango or Watermelon or Papaya or Pineapple or..... They're all good, refreshing and very cheap.

The floating markets are actually on land, it's just that the vendors' boats are docked right behind their stalls. It is still very colorful and worth visiting.

If you are on one side of the river, keep in mind that the pontoon bridge may swing all the way open to allow ships to pass. If you can't get across on the pontoon bridge, there is a free ferry a short walk upriver (north) of where the bridgehead is. The ferry will be crowded if the bridge is unavailable.

If you want to mail postcards from Curacao, one of the Post buildings is very near the floating market. The "Post" sign is small, but it is in an orange building (enter on the west side). The Post (office) closed at 4 p.m. on Bonaire, but I think it closed later on Curacao. They didn't have any stamps the day we were there (March 15th), so they just printed up paid labels.

Where on the map is the row of colorful houses that is so famous? Thanks

On the east side of the river, near its mouth. Or, just north of the fort,

or where the pontoon bridge crosses. If you can spot the free ferry on the map, the row of buildings is just east of there.

I get the general area. With the Mega Pier behind me would the colored buildings be on the right or left side of the Pontoon Bridge? Are they along De Rouvilleweg? Thanks. Just want to make sure i have a good place for picture taking.

You can get a walking tour map immediately on arrival.

Our friend mailed a postcard in a box that was located under the Rif Fort -kind of in the tunnel you walk through, IIRC.

Streets are narrow and there were crowds walking around. We felt we saw some potential pickpockets- they would get too close to us, walked close to one of our friends and only moved away, when I dropped back and got behind her. We also saw a suspicious man who we kept an eye on. He ended up periodically pairing up with a woman and they would walk either side of a pair of tourists---didn't see them take anything, but again, we were alert and changed our movements when we saw them. I have never felt that on a cruise island stop before. We had nothing stolen, but do be aware and alert.

There are a lot of brand name shops here in Curacao. We bought more items in Bonaire. Bonaire has a small market that has more interesting handcrafts, including soaps that support the local disabled community that makes them and even a booth for their animal rescue group.

Archived