Glasgow HOHO bus

I can confirm that Glasgow has a HOHO bus.

To get to Glasgow from the port (I presume you will be docking at Greenock which is about 25, miles from the city centre), you can take a train ( I think there are 3 every hour) directly to Glasgow Central which is 5 minutes walk from George Square where the buses depart.

Below is a reply I posted a while back about Glasgow. If I can answer any question, I would be pleased to help.

Glasgow, (my home town) does not have the historical past of Edinburgh. It was more of a commercial and industrial city, therefore there is no castle etc.

There is however plenty to do and see.

There is a HOHO bus which leaves from George Square and takes you round most of the places.

In George Square itself, you will find the City Chambers (town hall). Tripadvisor clients voted this the No1 attraction in Glasgow. It really is a stunning building.

If museums and art is your thing, about 100 yards from George Sq., in Queen St, there is the Museum of Modern Art.

Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery is world class. There is so much to see in the museum and the Art Gallery boasts many originals from eg Picasso, Dali, Monet, Degas, Rembrandt etc.

The Peoples Palace at Glasgow Green (city centre park) focuses on Glasgow history.

Entrance to all museums in Glasgow is free.

Glasgow Cathedral is a magnificent Gothic building, parts of which date back to the 1200s. Beside this there the Religious Museum and Provands Lordship which is the oldest house in Glasgow (1471)

The Glasgow School of Art was designed by Charles Rennie MacKintosh and is a popular attraction.

Glasgow is also a fantastic city for shopping with Buchanan Street the most popular area.

The city centre is fairly compact. It is also safe ( as long as you take normal precautions)

If I can be more specific about anything, please let me know.

Hello,

I done a two night break in Glasgow last week, and I never get bored of the city.

Done the HOHO bus and we were £18 for an adult and a concession. Bus tour takes about 1hr 45min.

So much to see and do there. Enjoy it.

Steven

Just to say that the info Scottie99 gave you is spot on. Glasgow is a great city to visit with plenty to do and see. It is also said that it is the best shopping city in the UK next to London. Enjoy your visit and if you get a chance have a walk around Greenock before returning to the ship you might meet some real characters.

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto Scottie's reply, well posted Scottie!

Of course, being a Westie I am biased, and Glasgow is my favourite city. Although I no longer live there, I still do a lot of work for Glasgow, and there is no place which warms my heart more, than to shop in Buchanan Street. For shoppers, please dont miss a visit to House of Fraser. It is a beautiful store, and still holds a magic which no modern malls can compete with. Think of "harrods in Scotland"..thats Frasers.

Buchanan Street as Scottie pointed out is a great place, with short walks to George Square, through Royal Exchange Square (spot the horse with the cone on its head!) and also easy access to Princess Square, and the Merchant City.

For cruise ship lovers, an absolute don't miss (just off Buchanan Street heading to in Royal Exchange Place) is the famous Oyster Bar - Rogano. Whether you want a quick coffee, or champagne with oysters or smoked salmon, Rogano is a Glasgow legend, and just to sit in their patio, watching the world go by, full of characters from all walks of life, is so worth doing. Rogano was established in 1935 for the wealthy people who were sailing on the Queen Mary. Its art deco and orignal features are still in place, and in itself is some what of a tourist attraction.

Points to note. Glasgow is built on a grid, it really is difficult to get lost..its very simple, and think of it as a grid, easy to get around!

Last year, Glasgow became Philadelphia for a while :) YES it did, check this out http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14523503

Glasgow also has a great small tube station which can take you out to the west end in minutes. It has only two circles, again, very easy to get around.

Scottie mentioned the people's palace. I love the people's palace, havent been for over twenty years, but I remember it so fondly and is great insight into life of days gone by -

Do NOT listen to the silly tales of Glasgow, yes, like every city in the UK it has its crime, but on the whole it is a happy city full of life, culture and the arts.

Oh one other nice spot in Buchanan Street - for art deco lovers especially, the Willow Tearooms , very much "Charles Rennie McKintosh".

Do hope you enjoy your visit to this great city!

Archived