Category 4J Pros & Cons?

mattcj89

As someone who is confined to a wheelchair may I remind people that some of these 4J cabins are handicapped accessible and should only be booked if the special adaptations these cabins have are NEEDED.

Just for your information Cabin 9202 is a handicapped accessible cabin on the Liberty.

Thank you.

I'm aware that's it's a handicapped cabin and that I can be moved to another cabin if a handicapped person needs this room. But it says no where on the carnival website (or by my pvp) that I couldn't book this cabin, so save your judgement for someone else please!!

We were in 7202 on the Valor. Not a handicap cabin, I think it was 2 down, almost in the middle of the ship. I loved it, as the head of our bed was at the front of the ship and I was rocked to sleep some nights. :-)

We've booked 4J's twice this year, I remember the PVP telling me to avoid the HC cabins since we could likely be bounced. No problems on our part and we had a non HC on both cruises. Great cabins and really quiet, although in anything more than a ripple it gets bumpy up there.

We wanted to bring my wheelchair bound SIL on the Liberty with us. She needs a HC room and there are so few of them. ALL of the 4J's were booked and guess-what, the Special Services dept WAS NOT going to move anyone...... so she could not go. It's not always true that one will be moved, and yes, it is a hot topic so I really wont say what I think of folks that book these for the perks when there are those that really need them or can other wise not cruise.

We have selected another sailing and ship but it was quite a shame. :confused:

is that for the liberty in 2013? I would call until I got someone who knew what they were doing. Have you tried the special services?

We booked the Liberty at 9 months in advance-- and was able to boot the able bodied person from the room- on deck 7 (he got down to deck 2 in an oceanview cabin.

2030749760062547426fXUEUk_th.jpg

the beds do not go together. there is a call button that sits on the wall by your pillow.

shhhhhh, don't tell anyone about the 4Js! We're trying to keep these finds secret so all the riffraff won't start booking them ;)

Seriously, though, my husband and I had a 4J on the Splendor in April. And before you all start yelling at me, not it wasn't a HC room. It was in fact 9201. We loved the room, the lighting, the location, and were very cozy (that is, it was tiny.) Here are some photos:

We would book a 4J again in a second.

1623197726_9201bedsapart.jpg.732decabdb999d70e56cd96c55ca7e2d.jpg

1159821055_9201floornexttocabinets.jpg.cb33dba184296bb71f3c77e73247ef58.jpg

2043651747_9201farsideofbed.jpg.fe0e0fab51cf2db02b3540152b22879c.jpg

269543573_9201cabinetsclosed.jpg.05b19ddb812cc1e3ab22d2933a685ff5.jpg

443760294_9201cabinetsopen.jpg.431cae9ccc5b326d225b8a65b85ac2ec.jpg

1771714263_9201officealcove.jpg.c4c069cae1f335d98d40ff716fef2ab4.jpg

158910380_9201window.jpg.4f7ba670860448777db8edc7865b3570.jpg

1724014715_9201bath.jpg.fcacd3a066397cd61ad97fac8cdc30fe.jpg

1187484350_9201bath2.jpg.2dbcd343ff6c20c4dee8f11f35156327.jpg

6201 on Dream class does allow the 2 twins to be pushed together (or kept separate, whichever is wanted). The 4Js that do not allow the twins to be pushed together will have an 8-sided star symbol in the room, on the deck plans. Those types of 4Js are handicapped, but not all HC rooms are like that.

We have just booked this room on the Breeze for my Mum and from what I have read it will be the same as the Magic. Does it have a King bed or is it only the singles that can't be pushed together. Would appreciate any info you could provide.

Kind regards.

We had 6201 on the Dream. It was a great room! There was a couch and the beds went together into a King. My parents were next door in 6203 and they only had a chair. Would definitely book a 4J again!

Please be careful many of these 4J cabins are for handicapped persons and should not be booked by able bodied. There are very few HC cabins and need to be left for those less fortunate.

Thank you!!!

If a HC person needs a room that is designated HC..Carnival will bump people to accomodate..so it is never a problem :)

If a HC person needs a room that is designated HC..Carnival will bump people to accomodate..so it is never a problem :)

Thank you!! That was my understanding also... so I am not sure why the criticism for booking it to begin with... someone will need to fill the room at some point... and it might as well be me as long as a HC person doesn't need it. I understand that I may get bumped to a non-HC cabin at some point... but I'm fine with that too.

Going by another persons experience posted here, it seems the person who gets bumped, is the person who actually needs the room.

I had 7205 on Victory. It is handicap-modified. Yes, I made sure to have my PVP note that we could be moved if the cabin was needed.

Beds could not be combined, but I sail with my DD or a friend, so not an issue.

VERY loud door banging at all hours. So strong the wall against which my bed would shake. Of course, my head was also in the corner closest the hallway/door.

Could feel quite a bit of motion up there, too, which wasn't too big of an issue as we were in port every day.

2540737300102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

2049281610102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

2225478270102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

2779297220102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

Ship had regular TV which rather stuck out into that "bend" area. Not a large cabin at all. Would think about booking one of the non-end units, though.

is that for the liberty in 2013? I would call until I got someone who knew what they were doing. Have you tried the special services?

We booked the Liberty at 9 months in advance-- and was able to boot the able bodied person from the room- on deck 7 (he got down to deck 2 in an oceanview cabin.

2030749760062547426fXUEUk_th.jpg

the beds do not go together. there is a call button that sits on the wall by your pillow.

My original post is from a little earlier this year and some circumstances have changed. This was also not on our 04/13/2013 Liberty cruise but an all girls cruise for another sailing date. My SIL is now undergoing Kidney Dialysis and unfortunately will not be able to go with us on our cruise. If she had however, I would have probably taken it a another step and continued to try until we could get into an HC room. She really needs an HC cabin and will otherwise not be able to cruise. It really was an upsetting ordeal. We are going to wait and book an all-girls cruise on the Imagination, when she is up to going and can do an at-home version of her dialysis for our 4 or 5 night cruise. I think a shorter cruise would be best for her due to her medical conditions.

I am, however, so happy to hear that you had a positive outcome on your booking. Next time I'll pursue it if need be.

Thanks,

:):)

shhhhhh, don't tell anyone about the 4Js! We're trying to keep these finds secret so all the riffraff won't start booking them ;)

Seriously, though, my husband and I had a 4J on the Splendor in April. And before you all start yelling at me, not it wasn't a HC room. It was in fact 9201. We loved the room, the lighting, the location, and were very cozy (that is, it was tiny.) Here are some photos:

We would book a 4J again in a second.

I had 9201 on the Triumph and it was by far the smallest of the 4J rooms I've ever stayed in. Rooms 9202 and 9203 are almost double the size and non-HC.

I would still love to see pics of Liberty cabins 9201, 9202 & 9203. :rolleyes:

If you go to cruise line rooms dot com look under the Carnival Triumph and I previously uploaded pictures of 9201 and 9203. The Triumph is almost identical in size to the Liberty and the pictures I posted should be very close.

If you go to cruise line rooms dot com look under the Carnival Triumph and I previously uploaded pictures of 9201 and 9203. The Triumph is almost identical in size to the Liberty and the pictures I posted should be very close.

Thank you!! Will do that right now!! :D

We wanted to bring my wheelchair bound SIL on the Liberty with us. She needs a HC room and there are so few of them. ALL of the 4J's were booked and guess-what, the Special Services dept WAS NOT going to move anyone...... so she could not go. It's not always true that one will be moved, and yes, it is a hot topic so I really wont say what I think of folks that book these for the perks when there are those that really need them or can other wise not cruise.

We have selected another sailing and ship but it was quite a shame. :confused:

Did the special services department say that the cabins were occupied by people who did not need the rooms? There are threads of people getting moved all the time. I noticed on my upcoming cruise that a few of these rooms popped up about 60 days out from sailing.

I was offered an upgrade from a 4A, to a inside on a higher deck(which included 4js) for $20.00. I went from cabin 1454, an inside on deck one aft, to a 4J on deck 7. It was room 7205, an odd shape end HC cabin. I then noticed 2 rooms open on deck 10, so moved my cabin to 1001.

The cruise is less then 2 months away and 3 4J handicap cabins are available. The majority of HC cruisers know to book cabins well in advance. Carnival can move me if they like, as long as it a cabin of equal value as it states right online when you try to switch the bed setup.

"You have confirmed a modified stateroom. Please note that your guests may be moved to a category of equal value, so that we may accommodate our wheelchair guests"

Those rooms have to sail full, so when is the correct time and situation to get the room?

Since the OP question was pros and cons on a 4J, I will have a stab at answering the question.

We have sailed in 4J's ( NON HC)and loved them. I will say they are a bit smaller in size and when the beds are pushed together it gives very little room on each side of the bed. Other than that, If we can sail in a NON HC 4J we will do so. We love going out to the front of the ship and have the entire deck to mostly ourselves!

Going by another persons experience posted here, it seems the person who gets bumped, is the person who actually needs the room.

I dont think that happens very often and if it does there are channels to follow to remedy the situation. I think that you find that not everyone tells the entire story on here and many s t r e t c h the truth for effect. Read it all..then filter through to discover the facts.. JMO...feel free to flame me :)

I normally don't want to be higher or more forward because of motion issues. But I got the 4J on Victory at a 4A price and since we were in port every day, I figured any additional motion wouldn't be too much of a problem (because I slept a whole lot thanks to daily excursions).

I really loved getting my breakfast early, then returning to my "not-so-private" deck with my cup of tea to watch us dock. :D

I really did NOT love the door slamming. :mad:

Thing is, that is completely and totally unnecessary. All anyone has to do is open the first door, step into the space, close it, THEN open the 2nd door. It's when both are open that that wind-tunnel effect kicks in and causes the slamming.

But that would take people paying attention to their surroundings and actually making an effort to be considerate, amd we know THAT won't happen!

I dont think that happens very often and if it does there are channels to follow to remedy the situation. I think that you find that not everyone tells the entire story on here and many s t r e t c h the truth for effect. Read it all..then filter through to discover the facts.. JMO...feel free to flame me :)

No flames from me, I only burn the bullies here.

My husband and I plus my BFF of 37+ years are sailing on the Freedom in the fall and will be in 1001 panorama deck 4J. This is wheelchair accessible cabin. It is totally accessible.. The other 4Js are what they call modified handicapped. They are by no means accessible. You cannot fit a wheelchair through the door(not wide enough) the bathroom has the Mt. Everest step up and the beds DO NOT push together because they are for only 2 persons. The HCs have wider doors, a roll in bathroom(no steps), and the beds go together to make more room for WC. The room can sleep 4(sofa and pull down). This is why non HCs want these cabins. The HCs on the Freedom seemed to have been all booked but I wasn't convinced that they were all occupied by HCs as this was in Feb. My BFF and I talked about it and she decided to call Carnival. She's a TA of over 25 years and she knows how to get to who she needs to talk to. I had told her we could kick someone out of their cabin if they weren't HC. She called and was given the runaround at first but she was persistent. Finally someone said she needed to speak to the Special Needs dept. They transferred her and we found out all the HCs were not booked. They had blocked the HCs to prevent them from being booked by non HCs. The modifieds had not been. They quizzed her about my disabilty and then they booked it. They e-mailed a form that I had to fill out concerning my need for this room and fax back to them. The one point they stressed was my need for a wheelchair on an everyday basis. If they found out I lied I would be kicked out of room and put somewhere else. They also confirmed to her that if I wanted cabin and it was booked by a non HC they would be moved. If you book an HC cabin and you're not HC then I put you in the same category as those who park in HC spaces without a disabilty. Not everyone has the skills to book the cabin they want and they might not know they can kick you out. They accept the defeat you've handed them all because you want what you want. Be compassionate and turn down these cabins even if a Carnival agent offers it to. One day you or a family member might need these cabins.

Archived