REVIEW - Island Princess Panama Canal - Jan 18-28, 2012

BoopTennis

Hi again.

As for the dis embarking early....do we just ask at the guest services desk when we get there? I have to arrange my ticket today or tomorrow morning due to the questionability of internet speed and would want to make sure that we are off and organized early.

Many many thanks again.

One more day!

hi energizer7 -- i just requested the topper/egg crate for the bed from our steward when we got on the ship. Also robes. he had them there right away.

thanks so much for the info, think we'll do that too :0) I can't wait...especially after reading your review....

Do the zip line! I'm not much of a heights person but it was easy. My only "complaint" was having to wait a while on a tree stand while the rest of the group caught up. Our tour included the aerial tram. It was nice, too. Frankly, I was more uncomfortable on the lift going up the mountain at Ochos Rios. It just moved too slow.

We have booked the zipline :eek: actually really looking forward to this as well as the whole cruise - first cruise where I have never visited any of the ports before.:D

If you want to purchase an Emerald, go over to Lee Miles shop (even if you don't use him for tours) Great selection, and I had the ring I bought my wife checked out by a jeweler who said I got a very good price..

BE AWFULLY CAREFUL.....I just learned today from a friend who is a jeweller here in Ontario....it has been known to occur that tourists have purchased "emeralds" that are only white stones dyed a deep green and turn out to be what appears to be a beautiful "emerald"....it was just a dyed white stone:eek:.....just a heads up to all.

BE AWFULLY CAREFUL.....I just learned today from a friend who is a jeweller here in Ontario....it has been known to occur that tourists have purchased "emeralds" that are only white stones dyed a deep green and turn out to be what appears to be a beautiful "emerald"....it was just a dyed white stone:eek:.....just a heads up to all.

I bought a beautiful emerald from a ship sanctioned store in Cartagena, it is a beautiful emerald and my biggest regret is that I did not buy a larger one! In fact, I am going back this fall to find a larger Emerald, which is my birthstone.

I've heard the same warnings about fakes, do be careful where you purchase them.

I saw that you said that you pre purchased the internet time. How did you do that? Was it wireless?

Thank you for your reply. We will be sailing on March 18th and need to know if we can use our IPAD or have to bring a traditional lap top.

Marilyn

hi, mar23, yes I prepurchased Internet minutes online. there are different choices I think I got 310 minutes for $103 or something like that. You can do it on the Princess website. Yes it is wireless. I was able to access from my cabin. You might get a stronger signal from other areas of the ship. The wireless is SLOW so you will want to be very efficient in how you use your time but it is handy for picking up email or quick messages

hi, mar23, yes I prepurchased Internet minutes online. there are different choices I think I got 310 minutes for $103 or something like that. You can do it on the Princess website. Yes it is wireless. I was able to access from my cabin. You might get a stronger signal from other areas of the ship. The wireless is SLOW so you will want to be very efficient in how you use your time but it is handy for picking up email or quick messages

Where did you find it to reserve? I've looked everywhere and can't find any way to reserve anything but excursions or the spa. Also can you reserve the specialty restaurants online?

Thank you for the speedy response. Much appreciated.

Marilyn

not sure, i think it was onboard gift credit? like on your reservation where you can buy flowers and things, i think you can also purchase internet minutes package. Sorry but since I dont have a current pending reservation I can't seem to find it. But try that area where you can pre-order other things like flowers. or call princess they can help you. I just used my credit card and it was paid for ahead of time. I did have to go to the Internet desk when on board and get officially signed up with user name etc

Sorry, I did not use the specialty restaurants so do not know the answer to that question, maybe someone else can help you. I am envious that you are still looking forward to your cruise. Mine is done :-(

Thank you. I found it under the gift section. Looking forward to the cruise. We have sailed with Princess many years ago. Most of our recent cruises have been with Royal Caribbean. I haven't finished reading all your posts but it seems that you had a good time too. We plan on staying aboard the ship in the Panama Canal instead of a day long shore excursion. It sounded like you got out in Colon after the 2nd transit of the canal. Where there stores. I just started collecting mini flags of the countries that we visit and would like to find one for Panama. If not, I'll just go online & buy it.

Marilyn

yes, we stayed on board during the Panama Canal going thru the locks, but got off briefly at Colon. The tourist shops are right by where the cruise ship docks, easy walk. They have all the typical items to buy. Lots of Panama items there.

We have cruised Princess twice now and Royal Caribbean once. I like both. They have different pros and cons but I was very happy with them all! No complaints when I am on a cruise!

I really loved all of your pictures. These pictures have gotten me even more excited about going to Panama in October. Also, I am looking forward to being on the Island. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures and the review.

Rich

hi, yes the internet is definitely cheaper if you buy it in advance, you get more bonus minutes that way. Go to the section on the princess website where you can buy flowers or wine etc (gifts) in advance, I think that is where you can pre-purchase internet plans

Archived