REVIEW - Island Princess Panama Canal - Jan 18-28, 2012

BoopTennis

Dear ibfern, is this who you mean?

Captain was Fabio Amitrano

Cruise Director Richard Joseph

Maitre d'Hotel (is that who you mean?) was Ig****o D'Agostino

Exec Chef Klaus Baumgarten

Thanks! I just love Ignacio (gotta take the z out or it spells something offensive) and am glad to hear he is still on the Island.

Thanks! I just love Ignacio (gotta take the z out or it spells something offensive) and am glad to hear he is still on the Island.

Hi Amelia

Great to see you on this board. I have been on other boards with you and share a mutual love of the Princess Cruise line. I believe we were on a cruise with you a couple of years ago.

Karen

Hi Amelia

Great to see you on this board. I have been on other boards with you and share a mutual love of the Princess Cruise line. I believe we were on a cruise with you a couple of years ago.

Karen

Nice to see you here Karen! We are like a large family here at CC.

An absolutely amazing review. Thanks so much for taking the time to be so thorough.

A question - I understand that you can get an excusion and do the remainder of the locks into the Pacific Ocean by ferry. Do you have any information regarding this?

Thanks in advance.

Sorryto hijack ibfern's thread, but I did this cruise on 1/28 and did this excursion so thought I would jump in. The excusion is indeed offered by Princess. While it was a long day, I felt it was worthwhile to get to experience the canal from atlantic to pacific. You go through Gatun Locks on the ship, then tender through Gatun lake to the port where you board a bus for about 1- 1 1/2 hour ride to a ferry terminal where you board your ferry which takes you through the rest of the canal. It certainly was interesting as you go through the second set of locks to see the difference on a smaller vessel. You then end up at a marina where you board your bus back to Colon, back to the IP. I have to admit, by the third set of locks i did feel a bit "been there done that" but I don't regret taking this excursion at all. They give out little certificates that say you went through the canal, and they sell pictures that they take if you are interested.

On board the ferry there are bathrooms and they serve a buffett lunch and provide complimentary water and soda. Beer can be purchased along with other trinkets (shirts, magenets, bags, etc.). The ferry is 3 levels so there is plenty of cover, and the back of the upper level is exposed it you would like sun. We sat back there as it was a cloudy day, and as the sun peeked out we were warm. I would suggest to bring cheap ponchos. We had them and right as we started sailing it rained.. everyone had to run for cover and then their seats were wet.. we just stayed put and were fine (and have an adorable picture to boot). :)

Whatever you decide to do, i am sure you will love it. It was an amazing trip!!

those are AWESOME pics of the new canal, did you take those? or where did you find them?

I found this in yesterdays pictures and thought it would give a good reference as to where the Gatun Locks are in reference to the new locks on the Atlantic side. Just to keep this post legal and not off topic, that is the Island Princess in between the arrows.

2449x0j.png

Sorryto hijack ibfern's thread, but I did this cruise on 1/28 and did this excursion so thought I would jump in. The excusion is indeed offered by Princess. While it was a long day, I felt it was worthwhile to get to experience the canal from atlantic to pacific. You go through Gatun Locks on the ship, then tender through Gatun lake to the port where you board a bus for about 1- 1 1/2 hour ride to a ferry terminal where you board your ferry which takes you through the rest of the canal. It certainly was interesting as you go through the second set of locks to see the difference on a smaller vessel. You then end up at a marina where you board your bus back to Colon, back to the IP. I have to admit, by the third set of locks i did feel a bit "been there done that" but I don't regret taking this excursion at all. They give out little certificates that say you went through the canal, and they sell pictures that they take if you are interested.

Can you remember the cost of this excusion?

Can you remember the cost of this excusion?

It was around $190.00 P.P.

Although pricey, it was well worth the money IMHO

As stated, the bus ride was Loooong & boooooring, but the excursion on the Ferry made up for it.

Does anyone have an idea when the new canal will be finished?

Thanks in advance

Karen

They hope to be done for the 100th anniversary in 2014...... June, I believe.

We were on Coral Princess a few years back, doing the partial Canal and loved that cruise. This one sounds just as good with the additon of Aruba and Cartegena (which I want to see and maybe purchase an emerald).

However, one thing does stick in my mind and that's the very hard beds that were on Coral. Did you find this to be true on Island, also?

Personally, I did not mind the bed at all. I was very comfortable and so was my husband. I did ask in advance for the "egg crate" thing that goes on top of the mattress, had read about that on these boards. So maybe that helped but I slept great. But i know I have read where some people do not like the Princess beds.

Does anyone have an idea when the new canal will be finished?

Thanks in advance

Karen

The 100th anniversary will be August 15, 2014. There has been a great deal of discussion as to whether the 2014 opening was a tad optimistic and recently there had been some labor problems on the expansion work. I'm sure that the new portion of the Canal will be "officially" opened sometime in 2014, as to it being 100% open for regular transit, guess we will have to wait. Who knows, maybe it will work out like the existing system, where before the Canal officially opened they had already collected several thousand dollars in tolls and the first ocean to ocean transit had taken place in January 1914. Fittingly it was an old French crane boat that had worked its' way through the Canal from Atlantic to Pacific.

We're looking at this cruise for next year about the same time, and also a balcony.

When did you book? Did the price for your balcony go up or down as you got closer to January. Although the price isn't bad now, I'd like t o book an excursion through the canal and those can be expensive. Thanks!:)

We are booked for a 10-day return to Ft Lauderdale on the Coral. Does anyone know the cost of the excursion with the ferry that takes you to the Pacific and then you board the bus back to the ship? I saw a previous post but no cost.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

If you want to purchase an Emerald, go over to Lee Miles shop (even if you don't use him for tours) Great selection, and I had the ring I bought my wife checked out by a jeweler who said I got a very good price..

We were on Coral Princess a few years back, doing the partial Canal and loved that cruise. This one sounds just as good with the additon of Aruba and Cartegena (which I want to see and maybe purchase an emerald).

However, one thing does stick in my mind and that's the very hard beds that were on Coral. Did you find this to be true on Island, also?

We're looking at this cruise for next year about the same time, and also a balcony.

When did you book? Did the price for your balcony go up or down as you got closer to January. Although the price isn't bad now, I'd like t o book an excursion through the canal and those can be expensive. Thanks!:)

I booked my balcony for the 1/28 cruise about 7 months out.. The price that I booked it at is the price I paid; no change in price.

Question. How soon do you think one can leave the boat upon docking on return? We are needing to figure out flights as our plans have changed a bit for the few days after. If anyone has experience with being able to leave earlier than later. Also if you pack wine in your checked bag is that okay? Or just the two bottles per couple. Many thanks to all who contribute on these forums.

hi lkrcanada - we wanted to get off early as well so we did the self-embarkation (carry your own luggage) and was the 2nd group off at 7:20 am I think it was. Some friends did not carry their own but had an early flight and I think they were off by 8 am. Princess will ask for your flight times and adjust your time off accordingly. But if you want to carry your own luggage off, you have to arrange for that ahead of time (for custom's purposes I think).

We did not, but our friends did pack wine in their bag and no issues at all. They packed more than 2 bottles per couple

Dear mafig - I booked our Jan 18 cruise back in early March of 2011. The price never went down. We had the bump out balcony midship of Baja deck. I believe our ship was sold out.

Dear mafig - I booked our Jan 18 cruise back in early March of 2011. The price never went down. We had the bump out balcony midship of Baja deck. I believe our ship was sold out.

Thank you so much! It's a great itinerary. I can see why it was sold out. Appreciate all the information in your review.:)

cibaygirls ~ thanks for your response also. guess I should make that reservation soon.

Thank you so much for posting your review. We are on this cruise April 7 and just can't wait. As first timers, we so appreciate all the insight and tips! and your pictures were great...makes me more excited....

Just curious:confused:, how did you request the topper for your bed? Did you do that on the ship or through the online account? Thanks again for the great information:D

Archived