If your lucky enough to be upgraded

jsf

When do you find out that you have a chance to be Upgraded? don't expect to be upgraded on up coming cruise, I was just curious about how they notify you if your the one in 10,000 that is lucky. I'm sure that they wait until the last minute so they might sell the cabins in question. Just a slow day and wondering.

J

They do not necessarily notice you; when we were upgraded once on sister line RCI we found out one day when we logged into our reservation on RCI's website and noticed we had a different room number listed (were bumped from oceanview to balcony).

They do not necessarily notice you; when we were upgraded once on sister line RCI we found out one day when we logged into our reservation on RCI's website and noticed we had a different room number listed (were bumped from oceanview to balcony).

Hi Jsf,

GONZO is right...

So if you are one of the Cruisers who has an issue with Motion or Sea Sickness... or have spent a lot of time pouring over Deck Plans and CC Postings to pick the "perfect" cabin for your needs... then you could possibly be disappointed by a visit from the "Upgrade Fairy" (those amongst us who are in the "Thanks, BUT NO Thanks" club)... In that case... you'll want to ensure that Celebrity KNOWS that you don't want to take the risk of being upgraded to a cabin you may not like (important because once they give you an Upgrade there is little or no chance that you could get back your ORIGINAL Reservation Cabin Choice).

IF you are one of us... then you'll want to contact Celebrity (or your Travel Agent... or BOTH) to ensure that a note is put on your file that says "NO UPGRADES")

As to WHEN the Upgrade Fairy makes their visits...

Usually in the last weeks before the cruise is set to sail... after Final Payment (often in the under 30 Days timeframe). Typically when Celebrity is looking to fill up Cabins with a last minute sale. And sometimes, we've heard of folks though who only found out that they were Upgraded in the Days or Hours BEFORE Sailing (even know of at least one case where someone found out ONLY when the did their Check-In at the Port of Embarkation)

Hope this info is helpful,

Cheers!

We were blessed on Oasis last summer. The way I found out was logging into the account and seeing the room change + the additional charge for the higher gratuities because of the cabin. We went from a balcony to a Sky Suite...pretty sweet! They can sell a balcony room last minute easier than a suite. It was a very pleasant and unexpected surprise. :D

We just returned from the Solstice and were upgraded from our Celebrity Suite to a Royal Suite .. found out when we checked in for embarkation and they were having trouble finding our cruise cards. Celebrity had called our travel agent 3 days prior to offer us an upgrade to the Penthouse for an additional $1500. but we declined (didn't really plan on playing that piano in the living room during the cruise anyway!). When we got to the check-in is when we were told we had been changed...I was concerned since we had a 'hump' suite with the big balcony but they assured us we would be pleasantly satisfied with the change and we surely were! We're Elite CC and have many cruises under our belt...never got an upgrade before. They obviously had a buyer for our suite and probably bumped a Royal Suite up to Penthouse and us up to the Royal...it was a beautiful accomodation and much appreciated!

Wow I would love to be upgraded to a balcony. We have sailed 5 times and I have always wanted to try a balcony but never had the extra money for it. We are actually getting a window this time. We sail on Summit in 16 days so a girl can dream.:)

I've always been curious about that too. Is it only for people that have booked guarantee rooms or can anyone get lucky?

Far more likely to occur with a guarantee, but very occasionally happens even when one chooses their stateroom.

Three cruises, three upgrades. Maybe I should be buying lottery tickets. The last one, we had the reservation marked for no upgrades, but someone missed the note. Luckily, we caught it before they sold our old cabin.

The Upgrade Fairy seems to be completely random, though the last time I think they wanted to resell our nice aft C1 on Summit. Sometimes it appears that they're trying to impress new cruisers, other times it's to reward longtime loyal customers. I think it's more random luck of the draw.

Archived