Dunns River from MoBay - Should we do it?

jetfan0330

Has anyone taken the Carnival Tour to Dunns River Falls with Lunch fro Montego Bay. I really want to take my 7 and 9 years old daughters but I am afraid the bus ride will be long and boring. I have been to DRF, but from Ochos Rios which was no long ride.

Thanks for your feedback!

We drove it 7 yrs ago and it's a long drive but we didn't go there for that tour because it looked boring to us (4 couples). The girls did the dolphin swim (Please don't lecture me on this!) and that was very good. But many people do the falls walk when docked in Ocho Rios as there really isn't alot to do when docked there. We walked along the falls to see it and we were captured at the exit with the vendor city.

If docked in MoBay I would head for Doctors Cave Beach for the day as it is a beautiful beach and patrolled regularly so you would be comfortable. There is also a Margaritaville right there to enjoy lunch and the waterslide into the ocean!

I'm planning to do it, but on a private tour not with Carnival.

Since it leaves early in the morning, I'll stay up late the night before (perhaps catch an adult comedy show or a midnight buffet) and sleep on the way in.

But I'd also like to hear how others felt about this trip. Was it worth the long ride? Did you have sufficient time to fully enjoy the falls?

My tour also stops at the Blue Hole and at a Jamaican grade school. I'm wondering if it will feel rushed.

Has anyone taken the Carnival Tour to Dunns River Falls with Lunch fro Montego Bay. I really want to take my 7 and 9 years old daughters but I am afraid the bus ride will be long and boring. I have been to DRF, but from Ochos Rios which was no long ride.

Times really do change I guess. Don't know how many long road trips I endured as a kid, and I was probably bored, but there was a payoff at the end. "I-Spy" "20 Questions" anyone remember these things to pass the time? Not to mention now the PSP, IPod, etc etc etc. I should think it would be worth it to endure the ride.

I guess I'm saying all this because my Bride went to Dunn's River Falls as a child with her parents. She lost her Mother a few years ago and we are returning to the falls from MoBay on our port day there. It's one of the most cherished memories she has of her mother and I bet she remembers jack squat about the boring ride. The rest of it is priceless.

We walked along the falls to see it and we were captured at the exit with the vendor city.

When you get to the top of the hill, instead of turning right and going to the vendor market, just go staight and it will take you out to the parking lot.

when we took the ride in 2005 -the road from Mobay of Ochos was a 2 lane sometimes dirt road under construction with trucks and workers and goats all around!

Now it's like a US interstate

Much faster

I wish we had taken time to go down to the beach at the beginning - before the climb back up == and try to avoid the venders like poster above says - they are hard core

we only walked along side the falls - but it was verrry cool

The ride is at least 1 1/2 hours; more like 1 3/4. We fly into Montego Bay and stay in Ocho Rios (Couples Sans Souci) and the ride is very long...but interesting. The ocean is on your left and it's spectacular! The housing most of the poor Jamaican's live in is quite shocking.

Dunns River Falls is definitely worth doing. You just have to decide if the long ride is worth it.

Love the cigar blog, used to work in my buddies cigar shop in Greensboro, NC. Back in 1997 I remember how popular cigars were, seemed like everyone was smoking them. I will add your blog to my favorites. Thanks.

Thanks Jetfan0330, check back every week. I review cigars every weekend. :)

DH is looking to find some good but inexpensive cigars on our cruise(Jamiaca, Coz, Grand Cayman) where should he look? is this info on your blog?

I can answer you here. Not sure what "inexpensive" means to you but if you're talking Cubans there are no inexpensive first rate Cubans. A typical robusto will run you around $10, plus or minus.

Jamaica: no cigar places I would send you to here.

Cozumel: There is a La Casa del Habano (Cuban franchise cigar shop) near the water above Fat Tuesdays, downtown. It is located directly across the street from the Play del Carmen ferries. Easy to find. Michael is the manager. Nice guy.

Grand Cayman: There is also a La Casa del Habano here. It's very close to the water, near where the tenders drop you off. The manager there is Wallace. Very knowledgeable. If you buy single cigars here the duty is quite high. There is no duty charged on full boxes.

If you go to the Legend cruise post below my signature (September, 2011) and scroll through you'll see my write-up on the Coz and GC stores.

i was just there on a trip. We drove from Negril to Ocho Rios (took about 3 hours with potty breaks). From MoBay to DRF it will be about 1-1/2 hrs. depending on how fast your driver drives and if you make any stops. The scenery is beautiful!!! Discovery Bay where Columbus first landed, Falmouth (you may see other ships in port) and the road is double lane and smooth. Not like it used to be. It's a nice ride. That being said, if your kids will get antsy sitting in a car for an hour and a half, skip it.

The falls are cool. I REALLY like Mayfield Falls as well. It's a much longer hike in the river than DRF, I think. I loved MFF.

Ok. I think I am going to just book the tour. I loved the falls as a kid and want my kids to experience DRF. We have to drive 8 hours from Dalls to New Orleans to get on the boat, so an hour and a half should feel like nothing to them. Thanks for all of your advice.

I forget who we used, but I know A-Z planners does a tour there. I don't know their web address but you can google it.

Thanks found it:

http://www.a-zjamaicaplanners.info/tours.php

I will stick with DRF since I already booked it, but will try MF next trip. The prices are very good if you can get together a group.

@cigardude, thanks for the info. DH is a newb so would likely be fine with 2nd or 3rd rate, either way we will check out those shops.

• 2 weeks later...

I see you are going out of NOLA...when do you leave? We are taking our gilrs(10 and 12) to DRF/dolphin swim at the end of the month. We booked it through Carnival, although very pricey, since it was a long drive, we wanted to make sure we would make it back to the ship in time. Good luck!

Archived