Unknown beach?

Katar

Sometime ago I've heard or read about a mention of a "tiny beach on the Ireland island" (or something along these lines). I don't think that Tiny is the actual name of a beach but rather a way to describe it. Ireland Island is the landmass upon which the King's Warf is situated. Therefore, it may very well be within a walking distance from the dock, and as such would present a great alternative to the Snorkel park for those who don't want to use a bus or a taxi to go to the beach.

Has ayone ever stumbled upon this "secret"? I am unable to locate it on Google maps, nor can I find any reference to it elsewhere on-line...

My guess would be Parson's Bay on the bay side or Black Bay including the sea glass beach on the ocean side. The distance from the Dockyard to the former is about 1.4 miles; to the latter, about 1.3 miles.

I'm going with Parson's from what I've read here: http://www.bermudaforvisitors.com/Sightseeing/beaches-sandys.html

Only a guess; maybe a local CC member will answer.

SBtS

Hi Katar,

(and Hi SailBad, nice to be working with you again...)

Apart from Snorkel Park there are just two beaches on Ireland Island, exactly as SailBad says.

The best is Black Beach, just a few yards West along from the Sea Glass Beach. You can find easy walking directions on my thread, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441854

If you want to look at Parsons, you can follow the directions in the original thread, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1430098&highlight=32N64W

Have Fun!

Hi Katar,

(and Hi SailBad, nice to be working with you again...)

Apart from Snorkel Park there are just two beaches on Ireland Island, exactly as SailBad says.

The best is Black Beach, just a few yards West along from the Sea Glass Beach. You can find easy walking directions on my thread, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441854

If you want to look at Parsons, you can follow the directions in the original thread, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1430098&highlight=32N64W

Have Fun!

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like we have a new place to explore on our next visit to Bermuda.

Yes, you could; but why? It is not a sandy beach walk.

Here is a satellite photo which has the sea glass beach in the upper right corner and Black Bay in the lower left corner. In between the two, there is not much sandy beach for walking but the water doesn't look deep.

BlackBaySeaGlass.jpg

Anyway, why walk along the shore when both beaches are so close to a road?

SBtS

Hi Sailbad,

Thanks for the quick response and the visual. Having never been there, I wasn't sure what was the best way to get from one to the other. I didn't know they were close to the road. We are going in April and my kids want to collect glass. I was thinking, if it was a nice day, we could walk to the other and sit for a while.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

With just about a month and a half before the cruise, I am trying to narrow down our options. Out of these 3 beaches: Sea Glass, Black Bay, and Parsons Bay, which one would be best to visit with a 2+yo child? She will not go in the water by herself or run around the beach unattended. Oh, and I would also like to be able to snorkle from the shore for a little bit but it is not a big deal if I can't... If neither is a good/safe option, we'll have to stick with Snorkel Park. Please advise?

With just about a month and a half before the cruise, I am trying to narrow down our options. Out of these 3 beaches: Sea Glass, Black Bay, and Parsons Bay, which one would be best to visit with a 2+yo child? She will not go in the water by herself or run around the beach unattended. Oh, and I would also like to be able to snorkle from the shore for a little bit but it is not a big deal if I can't... If neither is a good/safe option, we'll have to stick with Snorkel Park. Please advise?

I've never heard of anyone going to the sea glass beach for anything but collecting sea glass.

As many times as I've been to Bermuda, I am completely unfamiliar with the other two. There's a good source for beach information:

http://www.bermuda-online.org/beaches.htm

Here's what it has to say about Black Bay and Parson's Bay...to me they don't sound like places you want to bring a 2yo. One is only there at low tide and isn't sheltered, the other is described as being "off the beaten track", which could mean it's not easily accessible by public transportation, although being on Ireland Island, it can't be too far from Dockyard. Neither would have any facilities.

Black Bay. Off Malabar Road, Ireland Island. Three tiny beaches, only visible at low tide. Public. Pleasant, but not sheltered.

Parsons Bay. Craddock Road, Ireland Island. Public. Small, interesting, off the beaten track.

Horseshoe Bay has a small, sheltered cove with calm water that is a good place to take a young child. It's also considered the classic Bermuda beach...and it has full facilities...bathrooms, changing rooms, snack bar, chair and umbrella rental, etc. You might want to consider going there.

.....Out of these 3 beaches: Sea Glass, Black Bay, and Parsons Bay, which one would be best to visit with a 2+yo child? .... If neither is a good/safe option, we'll have to stick with Snorkel Park. Please advise?

I have not been to Black Bay or Parsons Bay, but reading what Bermuda for Visitors wrote and the photo that was included, I would not hesitate to spend time at Parsons Bay.

Parson’s Bay (Lagoon Park, Lagoon Road) A sheltered area of beach popular with the locals as a picnic spot. It’s not near a bus stop, so you’ll need to get there on your bike or moped. You’ll find it on Lagoon Road just before it becomes Craddock Road. The strip has white sand and the area is usually quiet.

_DSC2439.jpg

You could walk there or take a taxi; there are no facilities.

SBtS

Oh wow! Parsons bay does look very nice! And we don't really mind that there are no facilities since our plan is to go early in the day (around 9-10am) and only stay there for an hour or two

I'm sorry to tell you but that picture is not a picture of Parsons Bay (looks more like Warwick Long Bay to me). Parsons Bay is a bit smaller and you can see parts of one of the piers in Dockyard from it.

I used to picnic there as a child - it's a nice, secluded, calm beach but the sand is a bit rocky. Great for BBQing by the water though!

I'm sorry to tell you but that picture is not a picture of Parsons Bay (looks more like Warwick Long Bay to me). Parsons Bay is a bit smaller and you can see parts of one of the piers in Dockyard from it.

I used to picnic there as a child - it's a nice, secluded, calm beach but the sand is a bit rocky. Great for BBQing by the water though!

Warwick Long Bay was my first thought when I saw the picture. Here's one of WLB I took from high up on the rocks. The beach is usually cleaner but there had been a storm and the seaweed was not cleaned up yet.

IMG_4070-1.jpg

Managed to find a pic of Parsons in this link http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2946930

iheart, yes, I thought it was WLB but other family members of mine that I showed the pic to think it is Horseshoe.

Hope all is well with you :)!

Looking at it again, I too am thinking it is Horseshoe.

Things are not great but maybe I'll get a chance to meet you in Oct.:)

Archived