Porter question

osucruise

what exactly does a porter do and the benefits of using for embarkation? How much do I tip for to bags? Where do I locate them at (I do not want to give my bags to some guy that runs off with them). If it was I think then I would be more than happy to give to them and not have to lug around during check in and see them in my room.

The porters will be easily identifiable at curb side, at the embarkation point, and usually have ID displayed and are in a uniform of some sort.

They place your bags in big cages for loading onto the ship. Benefits? I am more than delighted not to lug the luggage around anymore than necessary. We tip $2 per bag.

Several cruise under the belt and -0- issues with the bags.

the porters are not employees of CCL; but employees of what ever pier you are sailing from.....they ENSURE that your luggage makes it on the ship. They are typically dressed alike - matching shirts (same color, tropical, etc) and I tip $2.00 per bag. I have never tried to access the 2 tiered luggage racks that they board on the ship; but security around them always seems tight. If you do chose to use them and DO NOT tip and if they are real creeps - they can decide that, "ooppss, that bag fell overboard, darn the luck" - it's not worth the risk to us - we tip and receive prompt service EVERYTIME!

Yes, they relieve you of your large checked luggage, and most always they are right there as you exit your taxi/ride, and as others say are in similar attire with ID. I also tip 2 dollars a bag, plus a smile and a thankyou, and have never had any issues. :)

Archived