Conquest Review~ Jan 15, 2012, or How to Relax on Vacation and Still Have a Good Time

pyropoodle

Thank you so much for writing this review! My family and I are going on this cruise in March and I loved being able to see the daily events and read your take on it all.

We are also going to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel and the pictures look great! Exactly what I need to end the trip - beauty, relaxation and drinks! :p

Thanks again!!

So glad you all liked it.

I did a pretty fast copy and paste job last night ( i say pretty quick, but it took a looong time) I'll read through my post and see if something didn't paste that should have.

in the meanwhile, enjoy some straggler photos that i want to share.

Happiness

P1020368.jpg

Past Guest invite

6809334085_e24c7e12b4_b.jpg

P1050065 by pyropoodle, on Flickr

Grand Cayman Legal tender

6809198159_b574dd1c47_b.jpg

gc3 money by pyropoodle, on Flickr

A message from Moby Dick Tours

6809219687_a0e1d1c042_b.jpg

cg30 come with by pyropoodle, on Flickr

a view from Grand Cayman

6809237271_22390fd1a6_b.jpg

gc 2 conquest by pyropoodle, on Flickr

Life Savers

6809321525_fcc6968a83_b.jpg

P1040404 by pyropoodle, on Flickr

Masonic Graveyard

6809330101_aee268f3fb_b.jpg

nola dead masonic by pyropoodle, on Flickr

Frog Legs

6809511427_90e7f2052a_b.jpg

frog legs by pyropoodle, on Flickr

in the distance is the line for Deck 6

6809412317_7213978800_b.jpg

P1010959 by pyropoodle, on Flickr

Gangway ramp thingy

6809421931_e886396b12_b.jpg

P1010960 by pyropoodle, on Flickr

Jaws' view of Nachi

6809242755_5e3dec2c5b_b.jpg

c6 jaws view by pyropoodle, on Flickr

Soooo Attractive

6809211749_b1a1c327bc_b.jpg

gc 19 ab snork by pyropoodle, on Flickr

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Loved it. Can't wait to get on the ship annnndddd go to New Orleans. What was it like sailing down the Mississippi?

It was really interesting until it got too dark to see, and it took about 6 hours to get to the ocean.

I have no idea where to find it, but someone typed up a little guide of things you would see as you went down the river. i printed it out and read along with it until it got too dark and it was very informational and made the voyage down the river even more special.

the guide is somewhere in the NOLA port board, but I printed it out so long ago, I don't remember where to locate it.

Day 6 –Cozumel.

6809521817_40d7c9fc89_b.jpg

IMAG0287 by pyropoodle, on Flickr

6809522787_a67439fb18_b.jpg

IMAG0288 by pyropoodle, on Flickr

I think it’s no exaggeration for me to say that Cozumel isn’t my favorite port. It really, really isn’t. That may be because I have never done anything there really but beach days or shopping, and if I go there again, I will definitely see some ruins or something to make it more memorable, but if I have to be stuck on a beach somewhere in Cozumel, Nachi Cocoum is the way to go.

But before I get to Nachi Cocoum, I have to actually GET to Nachi Cocoum.

We were off the boat pretty quickly and then, for some unfathomable reason, we were herded through what I can only describe as an endless store. It was the duty free shop, but there was no way to just walk on the pier. They actually forced us to go through this store. It literally took us more than 30 minutes to get from the boat to a taxi. Why ? because, well, once you are finally out of the store, you are still in the port area. And there are 15-20 stores between you and the exit of the port, so you have to walk through all of that. It was really annoying and I think it’s a new thing. I definitely don’t remember having to do that back in 2008. It wasn’t pleasant at all.

Anyway, we finally got to a taxi and headed for nachi. I believe the cost was $15.00. the prices are posted, so there are no surprises.

Nachi is just beautiful.

paradise.jpg

They only take 100 people per day, so you don’t feel crowded at all. On this day, there were probably 60-70 people there, so it wasn’t booked solid.

When we arrived, we had our picture taken and our waiter Joseph took us directly to our little hut thingy.

P1020507.jpg

He took our drink order and we promptly began phase I of relaxation. Mom fell asleep and I headed for the beach. Unlike the slimy bottom of Jamaica, this was heavenly. It wasn’t powdery sand, but it wasn’t rocky or uncomfortable either. It was pretty perfect. At one point, I was all alone in the ocean and I remember thinking “if I were to die right now (you know, because of the sharks that granny had warned me about), it would be ok with me because I would die surrounded by all of this heavenly beauty”

But enough of that kind of talk, death and all that, it’s time for another round of drinks and time for lunch! I had the nachos, the fried chicken tacos (which are basically taquitos) and the tortilla soup. You can choose 3 things off of the menu, and I really didn’t want dessert, so I opted for the soup. Mom, of course, had desert, but she also had cheese sticks and the fried shrimp. I thought the food was very good here. The quacamole was excellent and the chips were nice and fresh. If I hadn’t of been so stuffed, I could have eaten all day long.

P1020525.jpg

P1020523.jpg

I loved your review and I love Nachi........it's the only place that I ever go in Coz.....My sister and I usually just graze our way through the day instead of ordering everything all at once.

I'll order Nacho's and we share them........then a little while later she'll order guacamole to share and just on and on like that.

I was on the Conquest for the 7th time last October and it was the 1st time that we've been hearded through the duty free store.......I didn't like that at all....

Great review! I'm a 30 something who is also taking her 60 something mom on a cruise this April. I can't wait. Any tips on how to...ummm...deal with mom for a week on a cruise ship? Did she do everything you did...like all the karaoke? Did she snorkel? I'd love to snorkel, but not sure how my mom will do with that. Did they seperate your bed into 2 twins for you? I selected 2 twins on the manage my cruise thing on CCL website...hopefully they'll be seperated when we get there.

Enjoying your review thus far. I was on this cruise as well, so it is a wonderful rewind of our vacation as well. I just have to ask. How was the temperature of the water in your bathroom? Water from our sink never got any cooler then warm. And the showers was burning hot. We could never get it adjusted off the fixed setting. I commented to my mom that I was glad my girls were not on the trip with us, as they would not have showered the entire time we were there. My mom loves a hot shower, however, she even admitted that the water was too hot for her. And what about that fog. :eek:

Our water temperature was fine. the shower warmed quickly and stayed hot and before bed, I usually run hot water over a hand cloth to wash my face, and it seemed hot as well.

and man, that fog was sooo creepy. it was almost as if we had passed through the bermuda triangle from beautiful carribbean to strange alien planet. my pics don't do it justice.

Oh how I miss Vlad's dimples.... He and Miljan in the sports bar were great! Vlad went out his way more then once in the main dining room for us (he was the bar waiter for some others in our group but ended up helping my table out because our bar waiter was terrible). These two guys made my first cruise fabulous!!

oh yes, those dimples....he was too cute for his own good. :cool:

Great review! I'm a 30 something who is also taking her 60 something mom on a cruise this April. I can't wait. Any tips on how to...ummm...deal with mom for a week on a cruise ship? Did she do everything you did...like all the karaoke? Did she snorkel? I'd love to snorkel, but not sure how my mom will do with that. Did they seperate your bed into 2 twins for you? I selected 2 twins on the manage my cruise thing on CCL website...hopefully they'll be seperated when we get there.

This was the one thing I was really worried about since my mom and I are so similar, it makes for fireworks when we are together....but it actually worked out very well.

We live 1,000 miles apart and she never gets to hear me sing, so she did go with me to all of the karaoke things as it makes her heart smile. After about a day or two on the ship, she was confident that she could find her way around on her own, so when she wanted to go to the pool, she would go without me. If she wanted something other than fish n chips, she would go without me to find it.

Since we had the late dinner seating, and we were done a little after 10pm each night, i found that she would start to get sleepy around 11 or so. I would send her to the room and then I would be on my own for the rest of the night. She didn't see any of the adult comedy shows for instance. I just met up with new friends and went to the shows without her. I believe she went to the Point and Click show the dancers put on one night with our table mate and then she went to bed.

In Grand Cayman, she wasn't going to snorkel, but the fun that everyone was having got to her and she caved.....i think she was one of the last ones back on the boat because she didn't want to get out of the water. she really, really loved that excursion.

They didn't separate our beds, even though i had requested it, and i know that they would have if i would have asked them to, but it seemed to me that there would have been less space in the room to walk around and i wanted her to have plenty of space, so i just left it as it was. they would have totally split them if i had asked though

all in all, i would cruise with her again. i didn't want to kill her at the end of 7 days like i thought i would. I think she was on her best behaviour because she wants to go on another cruise again with me soon. ahhh, moms.

What a great review! Now, I am thinking cruise out of NOLA for sure. It would be neat to have the six hour tour in and out of there! Can we see an Arethra Franklin pic, PLEASE? :D

Like we always say at church before we make a decision...."I'll pray about it"

:D:D

I might post it, or at least the group shot once I scan it.

Loved your review. It makes me think about taking a cruise from New Orleans in the near future. My mom turns 60 on 3/8 and I turn 40 on 3/14. I thought about taking her on a cruise for our birthdays, but i didn't think I could last a week. I love her dearly, but being her first cruise I don't think she could take it because as she says... "there's enough water in the bathtub for me". So we are having a "40/60" birthday party together on March 10 and I'm taking my children with me for a spring break trip.

Thank you for posting this review! We're on the Conquest in about 6 weeks on the same itinerary so it is wonderful to be able to see what the ship will be like. By the way, I know that Carnival does comedy shows every night. Are they always held in the same venue or do they move around?

Can't wait for this trip! We even have an aft wrap cabin. WOO HOO!

Thank you for posting this review! We're on the Conquest in about 6 weeks on the same itinerary so it is wonderful to be able to see what the ship will be like. By the way, I know that Carnival does comedy shows every night. Are they always held in the same venue or do they move around?

Can't wait for this trip! We even have an aft wrap cabin. WOO HOO!

with the exception of a few minutes of comedy at the welcome aboard show, all of the comedy shows were held in the "Punchliner" which was in the Degas Lounge. the Degas doubled as both the Punchliner and the Superstar Karaoke lounge. the farewell party was also held here and they really kept the booze a flowing at that. it was free, so drink up!

The past guest party had drinks also, but not like the farewell party. Although the Degas was packed, it was only a fraction of the number that attended the past guest party, so it's possible that people either missed it in their fun times or didn't know what it was. At any rate, at the farewell party, not only did they freely give out alcohol, but they gave out full sizes of it, including some specialty drinks and towards the end, they were passing out shots! it was supposed to last 45 minutes, but it lasted just over an hour. the band played and people danced and nobody ever got up and said anything other than 'thanks for coming'.

it was magical.

Degas is located on level 5 at that very aft of the ship. 2 flights above the Monet Dining room, so it is a quick sprint up and down the stairs. :p

Archived