Conquest Review~ Jan 15, 2012, or How to Relax on Vacation and Still Have a Good Time

pyropoodle

Did they serve free champagne when you boarded?

I didn't see them do this, but they offered free Champagne at both the past guest party and the farewell party. I only had it at the past guest party and it wasn't great.

When I boarded, I headed straight for Fish N Chips and my first DoD, but i never saw anyone passing out any free drinks when we first got on.

I just posted this in another thread, but I thought it might be useful to anyone else who will be on the Conquest.

I took my laptop with me, as I normally do when I travel, and I used it to keep in touch with people back home for FREE. I used the funville forums, since the Carnival website is free for anyone to use while on board. Details are below on how to make this happen for yourselves while on board.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there is a thread for "currently on board" and it is free to use.

it is not private, so you might not want to use your real names, but it is certainly a perfect way to keep in touch without paying for it.

super neato.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/20274.aspx

this is the currently onboard section. you can see what other people write. check it out.

you have to register to use it and anyone who writes to you will need to register as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks cruzkitty,glad you enjoyed it.

i really, really, really wish we had a longer stay there. The time in Cozumel just flew by and Nachi was incredibly beautiful and totally worth it.

I will do it again one day. Fingers crossed that it is very soon

My camera isn't waterproof, I actually used a waterproof case, similar to this one, but not exacty...and not this expensive.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/703216-REG/OverBoard_OB1064BLK_Waterproof_Camera_Case.html

it is good in some ways, but bad in others. when you are in the water, you have absolutely NO idea what you are shooting at. I just put the camera in burst mode and held it down, hoping i would catch something. .

1 out of every 50 shots is great. thank goodness they are digital right?

one great thing about it is the fact that it floats! it has a strap that you can wear around your neck, and if it comes off for some reason, right to the surface it goes

i really want to buy a waterproof camera, and I'm looking at this one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/723253-REG/Panasonic_DMC_TS10K_Lumix_DMC_TS10_Digital_Camera.html

or something similar to it. I really like Panasonic, and I'm on my 3rd Lumix. I'm only on my 3rd because my mother in law was like "OMG, i really like that camera, where can i get one?"

and my DH was all "here, take this one"

so, we had to buy a second one....then MY mom sees it and is all "What a great little camera, it's so small, I bet that would be good for me"

so in order to get back at my DH, I'm like "here, you can have this one"

So, I bought a 3rd one. I know this is more info than you were looking for, so sorry about that.

anyway, the pouch was cheeper than getting yet another new camera that was waterproof just for the sake of taking pictures for one cruise. however, now that i have promised my DH that i am going to be going on cruises with or without him, every year for FOREVER, I am going to invest in one.

i think i paid maybe $15.00 or so for my pouch. they come in different sizes depending on the camera size you have.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I leave on the 19th and can hardly wait! Just 2 questions for you.....did you notice if there was a Mongolian barbeque on the Lido deck? I've been on a Carnival cruise before where they had it and I loved it. 2nd question, do you remember if they had a mid-week laundry special? They usually provide a small bag and you have to stuff as much as you can in it. I don't want to over pack but I also don't want to spend a small fortune having my clothes laundered, so this special usually works out great!

Thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I leave on the 19th and can hardly wait! Just 2 questions for you.....did you notice if there was a Mongolian barbeque on the Lido deck? I've been on a Carnival cruise before where they had it and I loved it. 2nd question, do you remember if they had a mid-week laundry special? They usually provide a small bag and you have to stuff as much as you can in it. I don't want to over pack but I also don't want to spend a small fortune having my clothes laundered, so this special usually works out great!

Thanks.

I didn't notice if there was a mongolian barbeque station or not, mostly because i didn't spend too much time by the large main pool area. sorry i can't help with this one.

as for laundry, again, i don't know. my steward never brought around a bag for laundry, but i think there was one in the closet or in the top/ center desk drawer of the vanity. if there were laundry specials, i didn't see them and i just took a quick look at the fun times and didn't see any posted. they may have made announcements, but if they did, they were only audible in the hallways. any announcements they made on deck were intelligible with the the muffled noise and the same for while you were in your room. you had to poke your head out of your room to hear anything.

Thank you so much for the review! We sail 3/11 and I have been looking for current funtimes, so they are appreciated! Did you have much of a wait for tendering into the

Caymans? Do you remember what time you got in line?

i knew that since we didn't have a carnival excursion and we weren't VIP that we shouldn't go down right away, but we did get down there around 8:00ish ( in know it was within 1/2 and hour of when we dropped anchor. when we arrived, they gave us Zone 4 tendering and no sooner did they give us that sticker than they made an announcement that zones were no longer necessary, and that they had room for everyone, so you really shouldn't have to wait long at all. The tender ride itself was very short, i would say less than 10 minutes. it took longer to fill and empty the tender than it did to actually tender.

Loved your review! We'll be on the Conquest soon, and we haven't decided what we'll do in Jamaica. How did your beach experience there compare to Nachi?

Also, did they have the martini tasting on the last sea day? I read all of your Fun Times that you posted, but I didn't see it.

they did have a martini tasting at one point that you had to pay for and they had the mixology contest on a different day that i'm not sure if they charged for or not. at the mixology thing, they had 4 or 5 people mix up drinks from an array of alcohol and flavorings and the winner of that contest would have a Drink of the Day special made up of their recipe.

we haven't decided what we'll do in Jamaica. How did your beach experience there compare to Nachi?.

sorry, left out the bit about Jamaica.

As far as the comparison between sunset and nachi, hands down the beach at Nachi was 1,000 times better to swim in. mostly because it didn't have a slimy/ rocky bottom and you could see through the water. Jamaica wasn't as clear.

as for the view? well, if you just like looking at the ocean and not swimming in it, i would say Nachi had a nice view of the horizon with not much but a pier to interrupt the view. Jamaica had a nice view of some of the landscape, and they were both stunning to look at.

the pools at sunset were larger and there were more to choose from, but they were pools, so as long as i'm floating, i don't care either way. The jacuzzi at sunset was warmer than nachi, and both places had a swim up bar.

the pool was probably nicer to look at at sunset. but a pool is a pool and i don't really go to places to look at pools. i really wanted to spend time in the ocean and at sunset, i was disappointed. again, it could have been my point of entry into the water. perhaps i chose poorly and there was a less slimy and more sandy spot further down the beach....but i just didn't explore further than my mother wanted to go.

And the laundry special was on Thursday for us. $12.99 I think for a whole bag but the bag wasn't very big. We just brought our own soap and did a load of laundry. You can fit two washer loads in one dryer so run both washers at te same time and throw them in the same dryer. $9 for twice as much laundry as would fit in the bag.

So glad you enjoyed the review nikki :D

you guys are going to have such a great time! and yes, absolutely, if fish n chips is your thang, do it on the first day. you'll have an almost empty section to sit in and your choice of tables....and your personal waiter to deliver your first drink of the day without others breathing over it first!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Were you in Montego Bay or Ocho Rios? We are sailing the Conquest on the 26th and we are going to Montego Bay. I have reservations at the Sunset in Montego Bay but I know they have one in Ocho Rios also.

Is Nachi all inclusive? We have thought about just going to Paradise Beach because of how early we have to be back on the ship.

Enjoyed your review!:)

Were you in Montego Bay or Ocho Rios? We are sailing the Conquest on the 26th and we are going to Montego Bay. I have reservations at the Sunset in Montego Bay but I know they have one in Ocho Rios also.

Is Nachi all inclusive? We have thought about just going to Paradise Beach because of how early we have to be back on the ship.

Enjoyed your review!:)

We were at the Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay. that is where i encountered the rocky/slimy bottom. i entered the ocean pretty much in the area in front of the first pool you come to when you enter but i did not try further down the beach. if you go in the ocean, you might try a different area to see if the bottom is any better there.

Nachi is kind of all inclusive. it does include all you can drink, but as far as the menu goes, you can only order 3 things off of it. I will say that the portions were huge and since i ordered all 3 at one time, i couldn't finish it before i was stuffed. I suggest what someone else suggested earlier in this thread, order throughout the day. Maybe have an order of nachos when you arrive, and then later when you get hungry order the main lunch and before you leave, have your desert if you want it.

have a great time on your cruise, i think you will love both places.

We were at the Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay. that is where i encountered the rocky/slimy bottom. i entered the ocean pretty much in the area in front of the first pool you come to when you enter but i did not try further down the beach. if you go in the ocean, you might try a different area to see if the bottom is any better there.

Nachi is kind of all inclusive. it does include all you can drink, but as far as the menu goes, you can only order 3 things off of it. I will say that the portions were huge and since i ordered all 3 at one time, i couldn't finish it before i was stuffed. I suggest what someone else suggested earlier in this thread, order throughout the day. Maybe have an order of nachos when you arrive, and then later when you get hungry order the main lunch and before you leave, have your desert if you want it.

have a great time on your cruise, i think you will love both places.

Thanks, I knew about it being rocky but first I have heard about slime. Did you see the nude beach? Didnt know they had one till after we booked. Thanks for the tip!

Archived