Fred Olsen returns to Liverpool in 2013 after city gets turnaround thumbs-up

nellydean

What would they do for car parking? At Southampton the cars are parked very close to the quay, but (I assume) there's nowhere near the new terminal in Liverpool for car parking.

Understand the plan is to park cars at the Gladstone Dock and use buses to shuttle passengers back and forth

Likely to be OK for smaller ships but possibily problematic for larger ships if most passengers continue to arrive by car

As with all things if they want it bad enough they will find a solution!

I agree, Sid, there's ways & means.

Parking - they could park cars on top of each other - well, they could if they build a multi-storey, as at Southampton's QE11 terminal. In the meantime, off-site parking & shuttle, which is an option at So'ton, Gatwick, Heathrow, etc.

For Southampton's 7-ship P&O shindig this summer, with just 4 terminals available, I know that for at least one ship the passenger registration, baggage drop, parking etc is at an edge-of-town hotel/leisure complex with a shuttle-bus system to the gangplank. Hardly professional, but OK as a stop-gap.

JB :)

I agree, Sid, there's ways & means.

Parking - they could park cars on top of each other - well, they could if they build a multi-storey, as at Southampton's QE11 terminal. In the meantime, off-site parking & shuttle, which is an option at So'ton, Gatwick, Heathrow, etc.

For Southampton's 7-ship P&O shindig this summer, with just 4 terminals available, I know that for at least one ship the passenger registration, baggage drop, parking etc is at an edge-of-town hotel/leisure complex with a shuttle-bus system to the gangplank. Hardly professional, but OK as a stop-gap.

JB :)

John

Think the new multi deck in Soton is for trade cars only , not cruise passengers

Remains to be seen how many complaints there are from P&O passengers having to register/collect baggage from the Rose Bowl

Should be an interesting (and challeging) day when the seven ships turnround

Meanwhile some suggestion that the Fred Olsen calls in liverpool in 2013 are at the expense of Portsmouth which would be disappointing for the local Council down here who initially supported Liverpool's application for turnround status and may now live to regret it

I think the Biggest challenge especially to any Big ships would be the re supply of them as someone else pointed out.

JB ... There is a multi storey carpark leass than 5 minutes walk from the pier maybe they could use the top one or 2 floors of that ? and have it secured as they do eleswhere.

Archived