When to Book - Now or Wait

Highlander1

Looking for advice on the best time to book a cruise from NY to Florida /Bahamas on 3/10 or 3/11 on the Gem or Jewel. This is for 2 college aged couples just looking for a week away and an Oceanview room is enough. Right now, prices are what they have been for months, is there a way to tell how many cabins remain unsold at this time?

I'm thinking to wait a couple of weeks to see if they drop the prices as they prefer to go on the 10th but could do the 11th if necessary so they may have options. On the otherhand, they may get shut out but I doubt it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Looking for advice on the best time to book a cruise from NY to Florida /Bahamas on 3/10 or 3/11 on the Gem or Jewel. This is for 2 college aged couples just looking for a week away and an Oceanview room is enough. Right now, prices are what they have been for months, is there a way to tell how many cabins remain unsold at this time?

I'm thinking to wait a couple of weeks to see if they drop the prices as they prefer to go on the 10th but could do the 11th if necessary so they may have options. On the otherhand, they may get shut out but I doubt it.

This is a spring break week. I think you should be concerned with the prices going up and not down. My Sky trip went up over $600 in the last two weeks.

Also, you didn't state the ages so here is the NCL policy.

Company policy dictates that a passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation.

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENT/GUARDIAN CONSENT RELEASE FORM (PDF) that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom if they are a married couple and provide proof of marriage to an NCL representative at the pier before embarkation.

This is a spring break week. I think you should be concerned with the prices going up and not down. My Sky trip went up over $600 in the last two weeks.

Also, you didn't state the ages so here is the NCL policy.

Company policy dictates that a passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation.

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a PARENT/GUARDIAN CONSENT RELEASE FORM (PDF) that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to an NCL representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied, with no refund of cruise fare provided.

Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom if they are a married couple and provide proof of marriage to an NCL representative at the pier before embarkation.

Thanks, everyone is 21 or 22.

I agree... Not much likely to change with less than 40 days to go...

They will have to pay in full now, right? Not much chance of getting a better rate after that.

If the risk of getting shut out is worth it, they might get a better rate by waiting, or rates might go up. As for me, if I wanted to go and could afford it, I would book now to lock it in.

OBC for using AMEX is for a suite.

Also some online Ta's offer the same promotion without using AMEX

To the Op............ if you like the price and want to make sure you get the paticular cruise you want than BOOK IT

Just book it. Then monitor occasionally if the price goes down. I have had many occasions when the price has dropped, even on the same cruise and I just called TA and they called NCL and had the price adjusted. Or even when they offered an upgrade, they honoured that as well. So better book now, just in case the price heads up!

As you're within the period for final payment, I would look at the OV category and see how many cabins are available (pull up the different levels and check). If there are a lot of OV's left I'd gamble and wait. If there are a small amount of OV's left I'd go ahead and book as it would be extremely unlikely at that point that the price would drop.

I'm going the week before you mentioned on the same ship (well the Gem we decided on). My boyfriend and I were in the same situation and ultimately, I decided to book and BOY am I glad we did - they have gone up almost $100 per person so far and keep rising. If it goes down, we'll call and ask for an upgrade or onboard credit, but at least we locked in our rate and won't be paying that extra money.

We are traveling on the Jewel on March 17, and I don't think the prices will drop but will increase, as they have nearly sold out of the cheaper rooms. The prices were quite a bit lower in early December, when we booked. As they fill more cabins, the prices go up. In Dec, Jewel inside room was $399, now listed today for $649 for Mar 10. Gem is $679 on Mar 11.

You can check by going to online TA sites that show which cabins are still available. I think you'll find there are slim pickins, and higher prices.

Archived