WI FI on the Radiance

Assuming that there is a charge to use the wi-fi, or is this complimentary?

It is always pay-Internet. From the website:

To use our WI-FI access, you'll need:

A laptop

Windows operating system

802.11b Wireless networking capability

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

All prices are subject to change without notice.

The Internet Cafe/Workstation

These stations provide access to e-mail and the Internet, plus direct connections to favorite websites for stock, sports and entertainment updates. You can also send virtual postcards while at sea, and in ports-of-call worldwide. If you don't have an e-mail account, you can also establish one onboard.

The cost is $.65 per minute or you can choose a prepaid package:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

You are surely the authority on that ship. Can't wait to get on her. Now, DH will be willing to take his computer (and spend very little time on it,) but be happy to not have to go to the computer room.

I've found that the wifi connection with my own laptop is somewhat faster than the speeds in the computer center aboard the ship. Someone who spoke to one of the tech people aboard said that this is because the wifi uses a separate system and server. I do, however like the free printing in with the ships computers. :)

so i assume this means that i could use my iphone on board..

is the wifi available all the time? regardless of where the ship is?

500 minutes for $150 isn't too bad - i guess i could skype with my phone...

but the connection needs to be really good for that...

I've heard that skype probably won't work - most people compare the speed to the old dial-up.

so i assume this means that i could use my iphone on board..

is the wifi available all the time? regardless of where the ship is?

500 minutes for $150 isn't too bad - i guess i could skype with my phone...

but the connection needs to be really good for that...

We were told by the IT manager on another ship that the bandwidth was not increased on Radiance when the wifi was expanded throughout the ship. In reality this probably makes the connection even worse since more people are probably logging in at one time since they don't have to go anywhere special to do it.

You phone connection does likely work a lot faster than the ships computers.

In the past I tried skype on the iPhone 3GS and could not get a connection. I haven't tried it recently on my 4S. I don't know if the phone's processor will make a difference

Gina

I've found that the wifi connection with my own laptop is somewhat faster than the speeds in the computer center aboard the ship. Someone who spoke to one of the tech people aboard said that this is because the wifi uses a separate system and server. I do, however like the free printing in with the ships computers. :)

We also found this to be true when we cruised over to Sydney last September using our laptop in our cabin. Service was the best between 6-7AM........but not when you are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.:D During the days when we were cruising from Honolulu to Papeete, the signal was not very strong and only became stronger as you approached land. The ship's position made all the difference as to strength of signal.

In Australia and NZ we took our laptop ashore hoping to find internet cafes, but the internet is government controlled and when you think you are paying for 1 hour you are actually only getting so many MBs which could result in 20-30 minutes depending on what you are doing.

Sometimes we got lucky in a few of the ports and were able to pick up a signal on shore if we were out on our balcony. The crew also found several spots on outside decks where they could use their computers at no charge.

• 2 months later...

The reason I asked about my Apple is that RCI states that to get WiFi you must have a Windows Format, which I do not. Did any of you specifically use an Apple? Not just a tablet. The people in the Apple store, had not seen it before until I pulled it up on the RCI web page .

Thanks

The reason I asked about my Apple is that RCI states that to get WiFi you must have a Windows Format, which I do not. Did any of you specifically use an Apple? Not just a tablet. The people in the Apple store, had not seen it before until I pulled it up on the RCI web page .

Thanks

We used our iPad on Brilliance and it was wonderful (but the ship's internet connection is painfully S L O W!). Windows is a PC operating system - you don't use Windows on an iPad, so that information must have been written years ago and never updated. Anyway, we successfully used our iPad. We more so loved it for uploading our pictures to it after each day in port (Med cruise - 3,800 pictures!!).

Thanks

My husband took his Apple laptop with him and we had no problems connecting.

WiFi is WiFi, it's a universal standard that all devices, regardless of manufacturer can use. IEEE 802.11n is the current standard, and any device that wants to call itself WiFi must adhere to that standard.

Usually when I see things like "You must have Windows" it is because they don't want to have to provide tech support for every device under the sun. If you can connect to your WiFi connection at home or work or public hotspot, you can connect on board the ship.

Thanks, now my only concern is speed. Twice on the cruise I have to do some, ok a lot of grading. We use the Blackboard format, with 25 teachers in my class, it could take me two hours normally, wondering how much time to buy, based on slower speed.

Thanks

it could take me two hours normally, wondering how much time to buy, based on slower speed.

Oh my goodness, seriously? WOW. Personally, I wouldn't even consider this onboard the ship. You're better off to head into port, plunk yourself down at an Internet cafe somewhere or a bar or coffee house that offers WiFi, and do it there. Honestly - we've paid for Internet service onboard just about every cruise we've been on, and while Oasis was the fastest yet, it still was painfully slow.

If there is any way around this, I highly advise you try something else. UNLESS.... you are not paying that bill ;) in which case, it will just take you a heckuva lot longer.

No, unfortunately I get to pay for this. It was a choice of going to Alaska or not. I knew this class was coming up, and choose the trip. Teachers need it to get certified or re- certified, so they really need the class.

Of course the two big days I need to grade are both sea days. I also get to do it two days of our land based trip, no issue on my part, I made the choice.

Think I'll give extra credit for getting thing in early.

Just need a somewhat fast connection in the room, a comfy chair, a great view, and maybe a cold one. My apple has a super quick speed, and is much easier and lighter than my school board issued lap top. Hope my I pad works, or I'll be in a big mess.

Cathy

Archived