Am I out of luck?

E&B

I should have done this sooner, but was not thinking. Normally we don't purchase insurance and have just taken the risk. We booked a cruise for August, back in early December, so I'm beyond having the pre-exisitng conditions waiver. This trip I'm most concerned about my 90-year-old father, who is not coming with us. Being that old, he does have medical issues. I was just told by TravelGuard that if he gets very sick and I would have to rush home, anything he has which is considered pre-exisitng would not be covered. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Any recomendations? :confused:

All is not lost...

- Some providers, such as Travelex, do NOT include non-traveling family members in the pre-ex exclusions. (At least with some policies.)

- Other providers, such as CSA and HTH sell policies with a pre-ex waiver up until Final Payment (and charge you accordingly.)

Naturally, read any policy you are considering buying before purchase, but you should be in good shape, albeit with fewer options than you might have had otherwise.

All is not lost...

- Some providers, such as Travelex, do NOT include non-traveling family members in the pre-ex exclusions. (At least with some policies.)

- Other providers, such as CSA and HTH sell policies with a pre-ex waiver up until Final Payment (and charge you accordingly.)

Naturally, read any policy you are considering buying before purchase, but you should be in good shape, albeit with fewer options than you might have had otherwise.

Also, Travel Guard (if you've used them before and like their service) has a plan that for a small additional premium allows you to add the pre-ex coverage up until the final payment date. Unfortunately, it's not yet available to residents of every state and I'm thinking that if the person that you spoke to at travel guard didn't offer it you might be a resident of a state that can't get it.

If you end up going with CSA don't buy the plans offered directly from them or from insuremytrip.com without first checking the plans available from tripinsurancestore.com

If you're buying direct or through insuremytrip you'll only be able to get the pre-ex coverage by purchasing the Custom Luxe plan. tripinsurancestore.com has the CSA Freestyle plans which have the pre-ex coverage available on the standard plan so you don't have to step up to the much more expensive Luxe version to get it.

I should have done this sooner, but was not thinking. Normally we don't purchase insurance and have just taken the risk. We booked a cruise for August, back in early December, so I'm beyond having the pre-exisitng conditions waiver. This trip I'm most concerned about my 90-year-old father, who is not coming with us. Being that old, he does have medical issues. I was just told by TravelGuard that if he gets very sick and I would have to rush home, anything he has which is considered pre-exisitng would not be covered. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Any recomendations? :confused:

If you haven't made your final cruise payment yet, you can still get pre-existing coverage from CSA. Try here:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/csa.shtml

Archived