Cancelling a 3rd passenger

jamesboat

This is something Im sure can be found on the Carnival website, but I have simply had no luck getting my answer, so perhaps you folks could point me in the right direction. Yes, yes, I could call them directly, but Ive always found internet forums more informative than a web of call center menus and agents.

If a cruise is booked with 3 people in a room, and the 3rd person has to cancel their trip, what happens? What kind of refund is given, if any? Obviously, Carnival wouldnt have been able to sell that 3rd bunk separately, so theyre not actually losing out on much revenue (ie, if you had cancelled the full cabin and they were not able to book it again), so I hope they have a more relaxed policy...?

Thanks

This is something Im sure can be found on the Carnival website, but I have simply had no luck getting my answer, so perhaps you folks could point me in the right direction. Yes, yes, I could call them directly, but Ive always found internet forums more informative than a web of call center menus and agents.

If a cruise is booked with 3 people in a room, and the 3rd person has to cancel their trip, what happens? What kind of refund is given, if any? Obviously, Carnival wouldnt have been able to sell that 3rd bunk separately, so theyre not actually losing out on much revenue (ie, if you had cancelled the full cabin and they were not able to book it again), so I hope they have a more relaxed policy...?

Thanks

If 3rd person is booked ES and it's before Final Payment then they will lose $50 cancellation penalty and remainder of Deposit held for 2 years towzardfuture cruise. If after Final Payment deadline, then the standard cancellation penalty in the Cruise contract applies, approaching 100% as you approach sailaway.

If 3rd person is booked other rates (Past Guest, Resident, etc.) and it's before Final Payment then they can cancel without penalty. If after Final Payment deadline, then the standard cancellation penalty in the Cruise contract applies, approaching 100% as you approach sailaway.

Depending how the ship is filling and how close you are to sailaway, Carnival can (but may or may not) move the remaining PAX to an nequivalent or better 2 PAX cabin.

ken

Let me add to this discussion as we just went through something to do with 3rd passenger.

We booked 3 passengers ES, and moved our 3rd passenger to another cabin with a solo cruiser. Now I know it's a little different because we weren't canceling altogether. My MIL paid his deposit when she booked him in her room. Carnival reps applied his deposit that we paid to our balance due (final payment is due in April). We are in a cabin for 3 but because there are no longer any ES 2passenger cabins available in our category, they are not moving us. Their choice not ours.

I admit I am secretly hoping they call to move us and offer us an upgrade. :D. Likely not to happen, but I was told that they can't move us without contacting us first. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. Although I dont know what "ES" means.

One last question:

then the standard cancellation penalty in the Cruise contract applies, approaching 100% as you approach sailaway.

Anybody know of a situation in which all or part of the penalty amount was moved to on-board credit for the remaining two passengers? The remaining two have sailed with carninval once and princess twice.

One last question:

Anybody know of a situation in which all or part of the penalty amount was moved to on-board credit for the remaining two passengers? The remaining two have sailed with carninval once and princess twice.

ES is early saver...be careful, ES can be great but has very strict policies. Also, I can guarantee you, Carnival does not have a more "relaxed policy" if one person wants to cancel last minute.

Also note that IF there is to be any refund, the refund is only going to be at the 3rd passenger rate.

Example

Passenger 1 and 2 pay $599 per person

Passenger 3 is listed as $99 per person

Carnival will treat the cancelling person as the 3rd person and will only refund the $99. Not the total amount paid divided by 3.

One last question:

ES is Early Saver booking.

The Cancellation Penalty for cancelling after Final Payment Deadline is NEVER rebated to anyone, regardless of their cruise history..

If the 3rd person is cancelling an Early Saver prior to Final Payment Deadline, the Deposit (less $50 cancellation penalty) is held for that Passenger toward a future cruise. If a different passenger paid for that booking, however, that paying passenger can fill out paperwork to have the credit placed in their name, but it will still be toward a future cruise.

As mentioned, that 3rd passenger will be cancelling at the 3rd/4th passenger rate, which is generally much lower than the 1st/2nd passenger rate.

What type of booking is this 3rd passenger (Early Saver, FunSelect, FunSaver, Past Guest, Resident, 55+, Military...)??

Is the 3rd passenger cancelling before or after their Final Payment Deadline?

Did this 3rd passenger pay for the booking or did another Passenger pay for the Booking?

ken

Archived