Cruise Time vs Island Time

cmoglesby

I can not remember a cruise ever changing to island time but I am confused on this.

I sail to Grand Cayman March 29th on the Liberty. The ship will be on EST and in March it is also daylight savings. The Cayman Islands are on EST but do not practice daylight savings. Here is the confusing part. My documents say I will arrive at 10am and the Cayman Port Schedule website also says 10am.

There should be an hour difference there. What gives?

I don't know what time zone the Caymans are in, but when I board a ship in Miami or Port Canaveral, the ships on EST. Once onboard I set my watch to the ships clock, and go from there. The ship docks and departs according to the ships time. Happy Sailing!!!!

Right, but what I am trying to figure out is does the ship change it's time for the caymans? Never happened to me before but looks like it might here. Found some old threads in the archives from 2006 where the liberty was setting the clocks back an hour the night before the caymans.

Anybody have a carnival liberty capers from last April?

Wear a cheap watch as you can never trust the time on a phone from different time zones. Leave the rolex/timex at home & the cell phone in the safe while on your tours. Ships I have been on always followed the time from the port where we left.

This so I can make correct arrangements for my non carnival excursion

Ships remain on EST, and so should you to ensure you are back on the ship on time...otherwise you will be waving goodbye from the pier.

As for your non-carnival excursion, they should be well aware of when the ship is going to dock and make plans to meet up accordingly. Have them confirm the meeting time in an email.

Enjoy your cruise.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that all ships in the Caribbean stay on their home port time. The only time the ship time changed was an Alaskan cruise.

And all tour operators, even the non-Carnival ones, are going to know when the ship comes in and when you have to be back by, so if you just mention the ship, they'll know when to expect you.

The only time change I have experienced is when daylight savings time changed occurred while we were on the ship. We are going to Belize in March, actually the 11th, which is start of DST. Cozumel recognizes it, but Roatan does not, and RCCL told me we would adjust to port time while in port. Frankly, I think that the person I spoke to was incorrect, but we will see. It is never a problem unless you take an independent excursion, but as someone said, they are aware of the ship times.

My non Carnival Excursion start time for Grand cayman actually says Ship Time

My Costa Maya tour start time says Local time so watch that.. confusing I know..

here is a site I have found helpful although yes I agree about staying on ship time..

worldtimeserver.com

As others have said, stick to ship time and make sure you know how the calculate the difference if you are going out on your own (non-ship sponsored tours/excursions). Ship time is the only one I *really* care about so I don't get left in port!

On the NCL EPIC in December, the ship time changed multiple times. I don't believe we've ever had a ship time change mid-cruise in the Caribbean on a Carnival ship.

The Conquest used to change time on the MoBay, GC, Cozumel itinerary during the winter months. An hour would be lost after the first night at sea (Monday) and gained back after sailing from Grand Cayman. (Thursday)

As to the OP's original question, I'm not sure why the hour difference between the ship schedule and the port schedule. The Cayman islands should be an hour behind Florida time when you visit. I suppose the port may consider when tenders begin to land with passengers though an hour seems like a large difference.

My suggestion would be to try and find a set of Fun Times from the Liberty Western last summer and see if the ship changed time then.

Right, but what I am trying to figure out is does the ship change it's time for the caymans? Never happened to me before but looks like it might here. Found some old threads in the archives from 2006 where the liberty was setting the clocks back an hour the night before the caymans.

The ship will stay on the time it started out as. Your tour guide should know when your ship will come in and leave.

I can not remember a cruise ever changing to island time but I am confused on this.

I sail to Grand Cayman March 29th on the Liberty. The ship will be on EST and in March it is also daylight savings. The Cayman Islands are on EST but do not practice daylight savings. Here is the confusing part. My documents say I will arrive at 10am and the Cayman Port Schedule website also says 10am.

There should be an hour difference there. What gives?

Don't pay any attention to the CI web site, most port web sites are very inaccurate.

The ship does not change time.

Tell your vendor which ship you are on. They will figure out the time issue for you.

Archived