Alcohol, Duty and Canadians

MissKIA

I know we are allowed to bring one bottle (1.14) litres of alcohol duty free back into Canada with us. I'm trying to figure out what happens if you bring more than that. Do they take it away? Do they just charge you duty and tax? If so, how much? Anyone know or tried this? Is it worth if if you do have to pay extra? I'm speaking specifically of Canada. I know the US is different.

We always - and I mean ALWAYS - bring back 2 1-litre bottles each from every vacation, every cruise (at least 15 trips over the last 12 years). That means we are over our limit by a little less than a litre. We have NEVER been in trouble... ever! We always declare it completely and honestly, and they have ALWAYS said "What have you got?" and we reply honestly... "2 bottles of rum each" or "2 bottles of Bailey's each" or whatever we've purchased.

We are prepared to pay extra duty if they ever decide to enforce that, and that is what would happen - you would be asked to pay duty on the alcohol - they will not take it away... so no big deal. But the one extra bottle you have is just not worth the extra paperwork to them. But like I said, we are ALWAYS completely honest.

Now, having said that, they do have the right to enforce the duty laws that are in place, so be prepared for that if you choose to go over your limit. I'm just sharing our experiences with this type of thing.

Oh I will definitely declare whatever we bring back. I wouldn't want to deal with that mess if they caught us lying. :eek: I've just never done it before and didn't know what the repercussions were. So you've never been charged anything? Wow, That's good to know.

I don't mind paying the duty or whatever, but if they're going to charge $20 or $30 a bottle it's not going to save me any money obviously so I wouldn't bother. They just always have such good deals, especially if you buy 2 of something. It's too hard to only pick one each!

They just charge you duty... Which can be big money.

On the way back from my cruise in January I bought a Texas Mickey (3L) for the 2 of us. At the border they wrote it up and I had to pay duty on the overage.. We were allowed to bring back 2.28 liters between us so I have to pay duty on 0.72 liters. It cost me $23.00 in duty.. I wasn't upset and expected to pay and I still saved over $40 in the end.

So watch what you buy.. It may be cheaper at first but could cost you the same if not more in the end.

Oh I will definitely declare whatever we bring back. I wouldn't want to deal with that mess if they caught us lying. :eek: I've just never done it before and didn't know what the repercussions were. So you've never been charged anything? Wow, That's good to know.

I don't mind paying the duty or whatever, but if they're going to charge $20 or $30 a bottle it's not going to save me any money obviously so I wouldn't bother. They just always have such good deals, especially if you buy 2 of something. It's too hard to only pick one each!

I know what you mean! Like the "2 for $20" 1 litre bottles of coffee Bailey's... here in Calgary a 750ml bottle is $27!!!:eek::eek: I'm VERY confident that even after paying duty on the extra we'd still be wayyyy ahead!!

I know we are allowed to bring one bottle (1.14) litres of alcohol duty free back into Canada with us. I'm trying to figure out what happens if you bring more than that. Do they take it away? Do they just charge you duty and tax? If so, how much? Anyone know or tried this? Is it worth if if you do have to pay extra? I'm speaking specifically of Canada. I know the US is different.

They will not take it if you claim it. If you claim more than the allotted amount, you will have to pay. For liquor it is incredibly expensive. Are you flying home into Canada or flying stateside then driving across the border? If you are flying, it states the bottle size, if flying stateside then driving across, you give a verbal. I'm Nexus so I fill out a card so no cheating for me but if you are doing a verbal declaration, I just state 1 bottle and do not state the size. They have NEVER asked to see the bottle, and never had any issues and I cross the border several times a year (even prior to Nexus). For spirits, I do believe the calculation is 175% for the amount paid converted into Canadian. Basically, if you bring in a bottle of vodka that you paid $10 for (CAD equivalent) it would cost you an additional $17.50 duty. Wine is less....not sure exactly but I *believe* it's around 100% - so therefore a $10.00 bottle of wine would cost an additional $10.00 at the border. Beer is cheaper....I *think* it's around $12 bucks for 24 beer, no matter what the cost. But I'm not 100% certain. I used to bring beer back when I could not find Bud Light Lime in Canada and I'm pretty sure it was 12 bucks. That I used to go through the regular border and hope for the best as 9 x out of 10 they just told me to have a nice day. If I submitted through Nexus they would automatically charge my credit card linked to my account.

Again, not 100% sure of the actual rates (hopefully someone can confirm), but as far as liquor is concerned, it's just not worth it unless it's something you cannot get here in Canada. Same for wine. But beer, on the other hand is still cheaper to grab stateside and pay the additional on....as long as it's not a pricey premium brand.

Now, if you DO NOT claim it and you get caught, the *can* confiscate it or they may have you pay....can go either way. Also, there will be a record of you trying to smuggle it across, which can be problematic for future trips.

Hope this helps.

The amount of duty you will pay depends on the province you are entering. They all have different rates for duties to be paid on liquor. They are all horrendously high.

The only thing in common that all provincial and our federal government do with regard to liquor duties is to exercise their belief they have the obligation to skin us alive.

The amount of duty you will pay depends on the province you are entering. They all have different rates for duties to be paid on liquor. They are all horrendously high.

The only thing in common that all provincial and our federal government do with regard to liquor duties is to exercise their belief they have the obligation to skin us alive.

lol Well we are flying into Ontario, but we live in Manitoba.

175% that is nuts!!! :eek: I guess for some things though it will still be cheaper. I've gotten a 40 of Kahlua in Mexico for about $13. Those suckers are over $40 here! Probably not a great deal in the long run. :(

I live 5 min from the us boarder.. Every 2 weeks I'll bring a case of beer over.. Very rarely will I have to pay duty on that and if I do it was around $13 last time for a 30 pack. Liquor on the other hand, I almost always have to pay duty. Last time I Bought a bottle of tequila (1L) I had to pay $27 duty

I live 5 min from the us boarder.. Every 2 weeks I'll bring a case of beer over.. Very rarely will I have to pay duty on that and if I do it was around $13 last time for a 30 pack. Liquor on the other hand, I almost always have to pay duty. Last time I Bought a bottle of tequila (1L) I had to pay $27 duty

I know crazy eh? I'm all over bringing beer back....I don't live as close as you do (45min) but I cross weekly and if we need beer I grab it. They RARELY have me pay but if it's liquor, ALWAYS. Mind you, I only did this twice and was charged twice so I just don't go there. But with our crazy beer prices at 50.00 (or somewhere around there...not sure as I never buy it here lol) it's totally worth it. I grab what's on sale at Tops. Even if I have to pay, it's still less than what we pay up here for a 2-4.

I'm not Canadian, but used to "commute" there for work. Every time I would bring my sins of choice with me for whatever the expected duration would be and declare them.

This was a couple of decades ago, but not once was I charged the same duty but I didn't care. I just put the duty on my expense report and was reimbursed. :)

I'm not Canadian, but used to "commute" there for work. Every time I would bring my sins of choice with me for whatever the expected duration would be and declare them.

This was a couple of decades ago, but not once was I charged the same duty but I didn't care. I just put the duty on my expense report and was reimbursed. :)

It is a bit different if you are a non resident and are bringing some in to drink during your stay.

Archived