Bay House Restaurant or Lobster Shack at Runaway Bay

Jimbo

The Bay House Restaurant

Trade Winds Hotel, Dickenson Bay, Antigua

Or

Lobster Shack at Runaway Bay

Distance from port and taxi cost each way?

This would be for lunch. Anyone been to either or both?

Jimbo:)

Official Antigua government published rate for a taxi from St. John's would be USD 12 for either of them one way.

Lobster Shack was closed for a long time but I have heard it may be open again.

I have had dinner at Trade Winds. Frankly, I wouldn't choose either for lunch.

Had dinner at Coconut Grove last week. Was O.K., not exceptional, but way overpriced for what you get. Have not had lunch there so can't comment. Pepperz n'Limes has a Mexican theme and would be somewhat similar to Tex-Mex chains in the U.S. Nice waterfront location. Close by for a superb lunch would be La Bussola. Easy walk from the ship downtown St. John's, is Hemingways, Caribbean theme. Look 'em all up on Trip Advisor.

I'm told that Lobster Shack is open again but can't comment.

Hemmingway won't work, we are there on a Sunday and I believe they will be closed.

Lobster Shack I believe is open now, you can find them on Facebook.

Will check out La Bussola now, looks like both Coconut Grove or Peppers n Limz on Dickenson Bay are great locations.

Is La Bussola location at Runaway Bay just past Sandals or like trip advisor shows more inland. Confused of where this place is?

Is Runaway Bay closer then Dickenson Bay from St.Johns port?

Any others to consider?

Edit: La Bussola looks amazing, do you know if it is open on Sundays. It's my birthday that day and was considering going to Portofino's on the ship for dinner but this looks alot nicer. Besides we are already booked our first night on the ship at Portofino's.

I can't seem to find prices anywhere for this place?

Edited by Jimbo

Runaway and Dickenson are side by side so there's nothing in it. Go down the hill at the south side of Sandals, past Antigua Village and keep going till you reach La Bussola on your right. It is actually on the waterfront. Not sure about opening hours and their website does not show. I would like to know myself so will try and call. Prices for mains, speaking from memory, range from $25 to $44 or so.

Curses! La Bussola no longer does lunch. It's open for dinner except Sunday. They are installing a proper pizza oven and may consider opening for lunch in three or four weeks, they say.

So you are saying they are closed completely on Sundays? Because that is the only day we are in Antigua. We are there on March 4th, that would be 24 days from today.

It's unusual. La Bussola used to close on a Tuesday (Le Bistro was closed on a Monday. Makes sense.) Most of Antigua is actually open on Sundays.

Suggest you investigate Cecilia's or Catherine's Cafe. Cecilia is a retired Swedish model and is close to the airport on Dutchman's Bay and Catherine's Cafe is run by a French couple down by Nelson's Dockyard. It would be a longer taxi ride but the location is wonderful, as is the food.

It's unusual. La Bussola used to close on a Tuesday (Le Bistro was closed on a Monday. Makes sense.) Most of Antigua is actually open on Sundays.

Suggest you investigate Cecilia's or Catherine's Cafe. Cecilia is a retired Swedish model and is close to the airport on Dutchman's Bay and Catherine's Cafe is run by a French couple down by Nelson's Dockyard. It would be a longer taxi ride but the location is wonderful, as is the food.

I think if I remember right that airport is on the way to the Grand Pineapple Beach Resort, that is really farther then we would want to travel just for lunch. We did go to that resort for the day on on a cruise back in 2006.

Also did they every finish that huge soccer stadium building when we were there last time.

Not quite. The airport is not too far, maybe fifteen minutes from the port. It is not on the way to Grand Pineapple. Grand Pineapple, however, is about as far away as you can get, on the east coast. Too far just for lunch.

You may be right, St. John's was awful quiet yesterday, a Sunday. Saturday was a zoo.

The big stadium in the middle of the island was finished some years ago, built by the Chinese. It is for cricket. They have also had concerts there.

Deja vue, all over again.

Take a look at The Tides, on Dutchman's Bay near the airport. It's new and the locals tell me it's worth the trip. I hope to try it myself in the next couple of weeks. It's a 15-minute taxi ride from the ship. It does do a Sunday brunch from 11:00 to 3:00.

What's the exchange rate to america money there? 3 to 1??

A sumptuous Buffet Brunch is available every Sunday at EC$89 per adult and EC$45 per kid under 12.

Edited by Jimbo

The rate is running around 2.7 to 1, EC to USD. So your sumptuous buffet would be $33. Watch how you pay. Many establishments in Antigua will process a credit card charge in USD so if you sign for $33 you would expect to pay Visa $33. Well, you do but VISA will slap on an extra 3% fee, even although there is no foreign exchange conversion. I refuse to use any card which gouges like this, charging for a service they never performed.

Hey jimbo, went for dinner to The Tides last night. It was excellent. It's a lovely location with a view out over the bay towards Long Island. There are patio tables which are the preferred seating as long as the wind is not howling (not very likely). Indoors looks really nice too. Service was friendly, smooth and attentive. Food was very good and prices were just a bit less than some of the top restaurants in this area. We immediately added this to our list of regular haunts. If you do come here for lunch, I can only hope you enjoy it as much as we did.