College students on board in May?

kimmi5207

I am not a cruise newbie, but all our previous cruises have been done in June or July, when school was out. My son is now a college student. I am thinking about going in late May on the MAGIC out of Galveston (May 20th to be exact) because #1-it's cheaper because most schools except college are still in, #2-I'm hoping it will be a tiny bit cooler than the middle of July, and #3-I want my son to get a summer job, and it would be difficult to ask for a week or two off during the summer I imagine & I don't want him using the vacation as a reason why he is not able to get a job!

Anyway, he is very outgoing, social, and loves hanging out with other teens, dancing, etc. He just turned 19 and this will be the first year he can't go to the kids/teen club (last year we skipped a cruise and did a Hawaii land vacation). Are there normally a lot of college students (or older teens) on board in May? Or is it still light on his age demographic, due to most families waiting until all the kids are out of school?

I hate to spend the $ and then have him not enjoy himself (which means he will drive me crazy and I won't enjoy myself). We love to cruise because we can each do our own thing on board, and spend quality time together onshore excursions. I can take off work anytime, so if I have to pay a couple of hundred extra dollars to ensure we both have a good time, I will. Thanks!

There will be 20 somethings.. not everyone goes to college. I can't tell looking at folks anyway if they are in college or just working after HS?? There will be some his age, and such a large ship, increases the odds too.

The rope course looked fun. I bet he will enjoy it.

We are going to be on the May 20th sailing of the Legend with two 18 y/o's celebrating their high school graduation. (Their school year ends earlier than some others) We were on the Legend the same time last year and there were plenty of 20 something's on there at that time. The weather was perfect that trip - not too hot anywhere we went.

We have cruised in May the past 3 out of 4 years while my kids were in colelge and it was always good. Last year, we went in June and it was chaotic on the Dream with so many little kids all over the ship. May is so much better for your son's age. My daughter is a junior in college this year and already informed me she only wants to cruise in May. Also, both of my kids have always brought a friend along, so that helps make things more enjoyable for them.

I know when we sailed May 17th a few years ago from Baltimore, there were lots of college age kids celebrating graduations onboard. That may vary from port to port, but most schools in the mid-Atlantic do final exams the first week or two of May and graduations by mid-May.

Archived