Segway tour in San Juan

sp29488

We are thinking of doing the segway tour in San Juan. I really want to do this but I'm wondering how hard it is. I know hubby would be able to, he's a fireman/police officer and is very authletic (sp?). I work out an hour a day. Cardio, kick boxing, strenght training. Can someone that's done this tell me how hard or difficult it is?

I haven't done it in San Juan, but DH and I just did a Segway excursion in Cozumel. He is 63 and I am 61, so we're not spring chickens, and I'm here to tell you that you can teach an old dog new tricks. We had no problem picking it up. When you first get on, you tend to wobble a little until you get your balance, but they guide was holding on. Once I started going, I realized that it is a lot like snow skiing. It's all in your feet; press down with your toes, you go forward, your heels, you go backward. Turning is not exaggerated like in Mall Cop, you can turn with your pinky.

It's a piece of cake, go for it. It's fun!

If you have the time, it is definitely something you should do!! I am in no way what you would consider an athletic person, and it took me all of 10 minutes to get the hang of it. And it's FUN! So much so, that my husband, after we were done with the tour, suggested (only half-jokingly) looking on ebay for used Segways when we got home. :rolleyes:

The owners are very patient in giving you a 15 min. or so lesson prior to the tour, and making sure you are completely comfortable with the Segway. (And just a hint: that's the best time to take pictures of each other, too, because of the expressions on your faces!!)

I would suggest the 2-hour tour, even though it is a bit costly, since you really don't want to give up the machines, even at the end of two hours. I don't think the 45 min. tour would really give you a good overview of OSJ, either. But you should probably book now, to make sure you get a spot. We had, at most, I think 10 people on our tour, so it's not a lot.

If you want to see some pix, check out my Victory review (link below) and go toward the end of the review. (page 13ish) We did it the day we disembarked from our cruise. Hope this helps!

I agree completely with what the previous 2 said. We loved it. I would like to do it again & do the longer one next time we are in San Juan to see more of Old San Juan. It is the best way to get around & see it. Something different. It didn't take long to get used to it. It is not difficult, seriously if I can do it anyone can. I would love to also have one at home. Now how cool would that be.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. I have a question: Does the 15 mins. of instructions count toward your time?

I was told by the owner the training counted as part of our time but, as things worked out, it didn't for us. We were the only tour in the morning and we got a little extra treatment/time.

We got there at 9. Had a lesson which for 5 of us took about 25 minutes and then we spent until about 11:45 doing the "2 hour" tour.

Loved it. Highly recommend it. Would do it again in a heart beat.

FYI, they only had one Tall Man Segway when we were there but I have both a husband and son who are 6'6". Son got the Taller of the two since he's a quarter inch taller than his daddy. Dad had to lean/hunch over a bit on his Segway so his back was a bit tired by the end of the tour.

Pictures are here.

Do it-Do it!! You will not be disappointed. We just had a group of 6 people- ages ranging from 15 yrs to 48 yrs do it in San Juan 2 weeks ago and we all absolutely loved it!! They do a great job teaching you how to use it and don't leave until you are comfortable. It was a very informative tour and tons of fun!!!!

I did the segway tour in san juan and really enjoyed it. Neither me or my son had tried one before, but the people who led the tour were helpful and very safety conscious. They made sure everyone knew how to ride safely. We practiced outside the shop before we got underway. Had plenty of opportunity to practice quick stops as the pedestrians paid no heed and would cut right in front of us on the sidewalk, just like we weren't there. :rolleyes: Seemed odd, you think they might be able to tell we were all just learning how to handle these things.

Anyway it was fun, and like the others I would recommend the longer tour. Even that flew by and I would have liked more time. The only issue I had was my feet were tingling pretty bad whenever we rode a while without a break. They said it was just from clenching my feet, but I really don't think so. I think it was because I have back problems / fusion in my lower spine. Even so I did just fine.

Planning on doing this also in Grand Turk. I am a little nervous. I do ride a bike, but I know not the same!! We are 62 &63. But, what do you mean by a "tall" man segway? Are they different sizes? My husband is 6'4 and has some mobility problems, will this be a problem? He uses a cane to walk.

Thanks!!!

We are thinking of doing the segway tour in San Juan. I really want to do this but I'm wondering how hard it is. I know hubby would be able to, he's a fireman/police officer and is very authletic (sp?). I work out an hour a day. Cardio, kick boxing, strenght training. Can someone that's done this tell me how hard or difficult it is?

DW and I did it a few years back. DW has 80% disability and she didn't have any problems. It's a blast, give it a go.:D I also would do the longer tour. Try it, you'll like it.

O.k. We are booked for the segway tour. When I e-mailed the Segway co. they told me that the lesson time doesn't count in the tour time. I do have a question that I guess I should have asked them but hopefully someone here knows. The tour is on local time. What is local time in San Juan?

O.k. We are booked for the segway tour. When I e-mailed the Segway co. they told me that the lesson time doesn't count in the tour time. I do have a question that I guess I should have asked them but hopefully someone here knows. The tour is on local time. What is local time in San Juan?

Atlantic Time Zone time.

For instance: It's 10:31 am in Texas and 12:31 pm in San Juan right now.

check 24timezones dot com

Have fun!

Atlantic Time Zone time.

For instance: It's 10:31 am in Texas and 12:31 pm in San Juan right now.

check 24timezones dot com

Have fun!

Thanks for the info. and the site. See if I'm reading this right. We are leaving from Miami, we live in S.C. so our time is the same. As I'm writing this it is 1:16p.m. from looking at the site it is 2:16p.m. in San Juan. So if we have a 11:30a.m. appt. with the company their time it would mean that we would need to be there 10:30 a.m. our time? :confused:

You will love the Segway. At first I was leary of this excursion because I'm not very athletic but my hubby really wanted to do so I did it and loved it. I wanted to buy a Segway when we got home it was so much fun. Go and have fun!

Thanks for the info. and the site. See if I'm reading this right. We are leaving from Miami, we live in S.C. so our time is the same. As I'm writing this it is 1:16p.m. from looking at the site it is 2:16p.m. in San Juan. So if we have a 11:30a.m. appt. with the company their time it would mean that we would need to be there 10:30 a.m. our time? :confused:

Yes.

Now you know why I always change my watch to local time. :o It's the only way I can keep up.

Because you are leaving from SJ in MAy, you won't have to worry about a time change. By then, the U.S. will be off daylight savings time. PR does not observe daylight savings so our East Coast time will match their time.

When I went on a cruise from there in January, had to set the watch ahead. On another cruise from there, this time in late March, no change was necessary

Because you are leaving from SJ in MAy, you won't have to worry about a time change. By then, the U.S. will be off daylight savings time. PR does not observe daylight savings so our East Coast time will match their time.

When I went on a cruise from there in January, had to set the watch ahead. On another cruise from there, this time in late March, no change was necessary

We are leaving from Miami, SJ is one of our ports of call. When I look up SJ 's time it's one hour ahead of ours. Oh, I get what you are saying. When our time changes we'll spring forward one hour but they'll stay the same. o.k. Thanks :)

We are leaving from Miami, SJ is one of our ports of call. When I look up SJ 's time it's one hour ahead of ours. Oh, I get what you are saying. When our time changes we'll spring forward one hour but they'll stay the same. o.k. Thanks :)

Glad you understood me!!! Apparently, I was wrong - we're going ONTO daylight savings (my DH helps me keep those things straight. :o) Anyway, the concept is the same. Like I was trying to get across (and you understood) was when that happens, our two time zones will line up again for awhile. Glad I could help.

It is incredibly easy - the slightest lean produces amazing results .....almost like it reads your mind!

Hi! I just signed up for the segway tour in San Juan on Feb 22.. Looks like a lot of fun, and definitely different.

Our tour ends at 2:15..how long will it take me to get back to Carnival Liberty? She departs 3:30, so have to be back on board by 3. Does anyone know which pier the Carnival Liberty 'parks'?

Don't know if they are always at the same pier, there are several & as far as I know it can change. But when I was there the Liberty docked 3 piers over from it. I walked right past the shop, went into the huge cruise center and asked a security guard where it was.

You need to go left as you exit the big terminal that you walk through as you get off the cruise ship. If things are the same, keep walking until you see an ice cream and espresso store on the sidewalk. Turn left again and walk toward the water. The segway shop is about the last shop in that cluster of stores right before the big cruise center. We had the first tour of the day, we got there early & I was a little worried because the shop was locked & no one there. By the time they showed up there were many other customers waiting with me.

I think it was a 10 minute walk to where you had to go through a customs inspection to get back to the ship. A few more minutes past that to get to the ship. I think if you let the people at the segway company know your time frames I am sure they can advise you if it would be cutting it too close. They have done this for years and cruise passengers are a big & very important part of their business.

Planning on doing this also in Grand Turk. I am a little nervous. I do ride a bike, but I know not the same!! We are 62 &63. But, what do you mean by a "tall" man segway? Are they different sizes? My husband is 6'4 and has some mobility problems, will this be a problem? He uses a cane to walk.

Thanks!!!

The handle bars are adjustable.

When we were in San Juan in August ship time and San Juan time were the same. We sailed from east coast.

SJ does not do the daylight savings time.

We did the segway and Jose and his guide were awesome. We enjoyed ourselves way too much, LOL

Archived